PDA

View Full Version : 2HB grips, safin, coria, sharapova??

tom-selleck
04-29-2005, 08:28 AM
looking at 2HB grips..... recently went back to eastern forehand/eastern forehand 2HB grip, from continental/SW (didn't try continental/easternF, maybe i'll try that next).

anyhow, i'd never heard of eastern forehand x 2 grip (obviously one facing wrong way).... but it hits very hard, flat shots and seems to give trouble.

did a google search and found on tennisserver.com (forget the guy's name, but his columns are great) that safin does EFx2 grip... someone on here also mentioned coria.

if it's true that safin does EFx2 grip, i feel alot better as he is supposed to have the best 2HB or maybe even backhand out there.... is it correct that he hits EFx2 grip??

also, what does sharapova play?? her shots are very, low and penetrating too...... and FWIW, apparently connors was EFx2, and i think connors is a great style for us lesser mortals to emulate.

i'll find that tennisserver.com article as it's very good.

tom-selleck
04-29-2005, 08:32 AM
http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/turbo_01_02.html

the author's name is ron waite.... i think his articles are the best free ones on internet... also, about.com and tennis.com have good articles.

here's the passages of interest on safin and connors:

In this shot, we see Marat Safin as he prepares for the two handed backhand. His dominant hand (right hand) is in the eastern forehand grip. As a result, he must bend his wrist and make contact with the ball a bit behind his front shoulder. He hits the ball as one might throw a sack of potatoes over one’s shoulder. Still, his left arm/hand (non-dominant side) are doing most of the work.

Jimmy Connors likes to keep his dominant hand (left hand) in the eastern forehand grip, as well. However, he tends to hit the ball flat, or at times, with slice. Thus, his wrist is not bent to get under the ball. Still, he has that “leaning into the shot” look that Safin has.

bear in mind that connors is lefthanded, so his dominant hand is opposite.

would love to get some independent verification of safin/connors.... if you go to the link i put in, there are pictures of both safin and connors and you can judge for yourself... i'm not expert, but i wasn't sure safin's right hand (dominant) was eastern forehand.

tom-selleck
04-29-2005, 08:35 AM
sorry, i misread..... the article doesn't say eastern forehand x 2, just that safin and connors both use eastern forehand grip for dominant hand..... so curious what grip they use for non-dominant hand..... and again, bear in mind that connors is lefty, safin is righty.

baselinebasher
04-29-2005, 08:39 AM
sharapova hits with the classic backhand grip right hand on bevel 2 and shake hand grip with the left hand

baselinebasher
04-29-2005, 08:42 AM
i personally use a eastern with my right hand, and a shake hand grip with my left hand, i can drive through shots for penetrating flat shots, or i can provide the shots with tons of topsin. it takes tons of pratice to be able to perfect your backhands with this grip, wait it takes ton of pratice period...

tom-selleck
04-29-2005, 08:45 AM
i personally use a eastern with my right hand, and a shake hand grip with my left hand, i can drive through shots for penetrating flat shots, or i can provide the shots with tons of topsin. it takes tons of pratice to be able to perfect your backhands with this grip, wait it takes ton of pratice period...

i assume you're talking eastern backhand with right hand.... for some reason, i can't drive the ball with right hand in eastern backhand..... but maybe you're talking eastern forehand for right hand, in which case your grip would just be shaking hands with racquet on both sides.

Grimjack
04-29-2005, 08:45 AM
To me, the Safin BH looks closer to the continental/SW combo than dual EFH's. Here are a few pics that show his grip better than the one from the article posted above.

http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/79-safin.jpg

http://www.headnz.co.nz/images/Safin%20TMS%20Paris.jpg

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020124/sp3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~ravenhawks/images/Safin_houston2.jpg

To me, it appears obvious that the base knuckle of the bottom hand is well above the EFH (3 o'clock) bevel. If it isn't full-on continental, it's at least midway between the two. Likewise, the base knuckle of the top hand appears to be just below the EFH bevel for the left hand. The left hand looks like it might be in a grip closer to the EFH than the right, though. Perhaps something like the eastern/semi tweener grip Agassi uses on his FH's.

As a guy who uses a 1H slice BH, it just makes more sense for him to have that bottom hand in the continental, to facilitate the grip switch.

tom-selleck
04-29-2005, 08:51 AM
grimjack,

thank you, you are a life-saver (maybe i'm going overboard).... but great pictures nonetheless ..... looks like safin's right hand is continental and his left-hand might be eastern forehand.... i'll try that. as i said, with continental/SW, i just can't hit the ball properly, very short and sort of mishit.

Rickson
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Eastern/eastern is a good grip. I used to use it when I had a double hander, but I switched to the one hander and I now use an eastern backhand grip as opposed to the efh.