PDA

View Full Version : Cure for the yips.

kelkat
02-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I play in a NJ women's indoor doubles league. Highly competitive, 32 week season, matches are 1x a week. There are 4 levels and I just got drafted to the top league. I am a former college player and I rose to the top fairly quickly, in about half the normal time.

Seems that now that I am on this upper division, I just can't win. Some of it is just gelling with new partners, trying to find a good fit. But there is now the element of getting myself psyched out. Last week when I was to serve for the first time in the match, I got a case of the yips. Strokes weren't flowing, and I almost had a sensation of not feeling gravity. :shock: Same thing happened yesterday at a USTA mixed match. Crazy, huh? So I know it is all in my mind, but I wonder what the rest of you have done if you have ever been in this situation.

Usually the night before every match, I play a couple games in my head -- feeling what a great serve feels like, hearing the sound of the racket as I make a passing shot, etc. Putting myself in a frame of mind that I have already won.

Next match I want to be prepared to combat this lack of self-confidence if it raises it's ugly head. Any suggestions?

raiden031
02-07-2010, 06:12 AM
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who suffers bouts with the yips. Whats weird though is that I suffer it more when I'm practicing and over-thinking stroke mechanics than when in a competitive environment.

One thing I notice about my yips is that its always temporary and that I regain control of my strokes the more I hit the ball. So if you have the chance, right before your match you should try to arrive early and get some extra warm-up or hit against a wall or something beforehand.

J011yroger
02-07-2010, 07:32 AM
I get it too. I am a terrible frontrunner, and go through patches where I struggle badly when trying to serve out sets.

I come up with some inspired stuff when I am behind in the score, but once I get ahead things get tough for me.

J

arche3
02-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I get it too. I am a terrible frontrunner, and go through patches where I struggle badly when trying to serve out sets.

I come up with some inspired stuff when I am behind in the score, but once I get ahead things get tough for me.

J

lol. I have alway been like this. terrible mental game. If I destroy you on a first set it is a given I will slack off the next and possibly lose it. I need a shrink. I think a lot guys who play BIG have this problem. Its the pushers who never let up and stay the course.

larry10s
02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
i know easier said than done but you cant think of the score, this game is for the set etc. its just point by point. when serving it should be type of serve and tarhet. period . just like when you have a bucket and are practicing.also think about this how often do your opponent crush returns or continually hit forcing returns. not very often so dont be afraid
prove something to yourself one day and play a match as if your shpoulder and hamstring were sore. so all you did was take alittle of your serve (forget about aces) and if you come in come in more slowly
youll amaze yourself how under control you were and played BETTER!!!

dlk
02-07-2010, 02:38 PM
You all are probably better than me, but I like the postive visualization technique. Also, I win a lot because I play every point generically. That is; I treat every point the same, whether it's matchpoint or 30/30 game 2 first set. I find I win alot of games where I'm down 15/40 or even stave off set-points because my opponent gets tight and does what OP does. I do not consciously attempt this, it just comes natually. Benefit of having simple mind I guess. I just know I beat a lot of superior opponents because they 'think too much'.

J011yroger
02-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Stupid brain... Wish I could turn it off at the racquet spin.

J

fuzz nation
02-11-2010, 09:46 AM
When I've got what feels like the yips and my shots become more like spasms, I'll switch to the heaviest racquet I have with me (if I'm not using it already). That tends to steady things up while I settle in. I know that everyone doesn't want to lug different frames around for this contingency, but it has saved me more than once.

West Coast Ace
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
"It's just a tennis match" or "You could be at work." Try smiling between and before every point and remind yourself you've hit all the shots, millions of times.

heninfan99
02-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Think about your favorite song or movie.