PDA

View Full Version : What perks you guys get playing college tennis?

C-XIII
02-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I've been wondering what perks college players tend to get, meaning free string, or restringing, different gear such as shoes, warmups, and other things. Some schools I have heard dish out a certain amount of money to players to buy things that they will need. Just wondering if any of you guys get such perks and all. Im especially curious for D3 schools as Im in a D3 school.Im sorry for any poor wording or misunderstanding in my questions, thanks though!

autumn_leaf
02-07-2010, 08:40 PM
all schools prolly range in what they offer. i currently go to a D3 school and we do get some free strings, but that's about it. i'm not sure if it's against regulations to have individual sponsorships but i know some of the kids had partial sponsorships with brands like adidas. no free stringing, though me and some other teammates do string and did them at a fairly discounted price.

schools may be able to give better offerings if they applied to have a team sponsored by a certain brand.

ximian
02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
We got shoes, clothes, strings, and hats. Also medical care, trainers, etc etc.

C-XIII
02-08-2010, 04:48 AM
YEah I was just curious for the school I go to, we dont get a dam thing, where I know of a couple schools that get stuff like shoes,strings,clothes and all. Probably because they are into tennis more then some.

JStar7
02-08-2010, 08:15 AM
i was told by a D-1 school that is recruiting me that we get everything except rackets. Strings, Grips, Shoes, Shirts, Shorts, etc.

10ispro
02-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I played D2. We got 2pair of shoes each season. one pr in Fall and one pr in Spring. Warm ups, shirts, shorts, socks...
Free String, tho you had to restring your own or pay a teammate to restring...I strung majority of both Mens and Womens.
Also, got Prefered player packages from Racquet companies. At the time I got 4 head Racquets, 12 sets of string, 12 grips, Combi Bag and a travel bag for $300

Also access to trainers etc....

I know several people who play for Penn State and they get so much free Nike Stuff. One girl I know said she was walkin across campus and saw a girl from another sport wearing a nice new Nike Winter jacket. so she went into the athletic department, asked for a jacket and that was it. Jacket sold at retail for around $200.

jaggy
02-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Often depends on the deal the institution has, best outfitted sports would not be tennis but there is a domino effect.

C-XIII
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Ill be transfering to a different school next fall but my current one doesnt supply like anything.Kinda sad I was hoping for some stuff, not like loads and anytime I asked for but hey some shoes be nice or some string lol

Jonny S&V
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I played D2. We got 2pair of shoes each season. one pr in Fall and one pr in Spring. Warm ups, shirts, shorts, socks...
Free String, tho you had to restring your own or pay a teammate to restring...I strung majority of both Mens and Womens.
Also, got Prefered player packages from Racquet companies. At the time I got 4 head Racquets, 12 sets of string, 12 grips, Combi Bag and a travel bag for $300

Also access to trainers etc....

Ditto, but I'm also the team stringer, and I get paid by the university (no-one pays anything for stringing).

chrisplchs
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Tons of stuff. 10 frames a year, free strings (except gut, unless you are sponsored)/stringing, tons of clothes, shoes ( 6+ tennis and 3+ are workouts)

gokou703
02-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I got great discounts on rackets. Mainly because there was always a head,technifibre, wilson rep associated with my college. My friend bought 3 technifibre rackets (forgot the model) for $180 flat. Not free but still a great deal. Got some cool uniforms as well. Obviously didn't have to pay for hotel, food, & transportation when on trips.

eeytennis
02-09-2010, 06:33 AM
It really depends on the coach and the school's budget. At D3, typically the players can get deeply discounted racket packages and the coach provides the string, except you usually don't get to pick the kind you want (unless the coach has on hand the string you play with already, and then you are in luck). Uniforms are provided obviously, but any extras come out of the player's pockets often.

As for D1, D2, and NAIA...D1 gets pretty much everything for free although you have to play with the brand of rackets the school is sponsored by if you want to get them for free. D2 and NAIA get SOME free stuff, but it's usually limited to your string of choice, some warm up gear, sometimes bags, etc.

hityellowball
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I graduated 2 years ago from a D3 school. My school had a deal with Wilson and got most everything for Free or heavily discounted on certain items. Shoes, string, socks, clothes racquets were free in some cases. I didn't use Wilson racquets so I bought my own.

JStar7
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Do you think that anywhere you go, you'll be able to get discounted racquets from companies like Head, Wilson, Babolat, Yonex, etc.? If you got them, when did you get them? Before or after you got to college? I'm going to be playing College Tennis soon at a D-1 school, but I doubt they're sponsored by a racquet company. I was hoping to try to get my hands on some racquets, seeing that I don't have that many to begin with.

papatenis
02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Do you think that anywhere you go, you'll be able to get discounted racquets from companies like Head, Wilson, Babolat, Yonex, etc.? If you got them, when did you get them? Before or after you got to college? I'm going to be playing College Tennis soon at a D-1 school, but I doubt they're sponsored by a racquet company. I was hoping to try to get my hands on some racquets, seeing that I don't have that many to begin with.

Ask your coach.

JStar7
02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Ask your coach.

Brilliant idea :)

CollegeBound
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Tons of stuff. 10 frames a year, free strings (except gut, unless you are sponsored)/stringing, tons of clothes, shoes ( 6+ tennis and 3+ are workouts)

You're currently playing college tennis AND are a USRSA MRT?

cquandt
02-18-2010, 09:08 AM
whatever school you go to, make sure they have a great athletic training program. i went to a D3 school that took fitness very seriously, and on top of our regular schedule we were bound to get injured at some point. we had three trainers on the court at all practices and matches just in case. i sprained my ankle and they were right on top of it. we also got free strings, clothes, shoes, and coach could get us decent stick deals.