PDA

View Full Version : Ferrero's Preparation for RG

West Coast Ace
04-29-2005, 02:31 PM
This is unfortunate - and a little strange - hopefully he'll get into Munich:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/4498265.stm

Hard to believe Rome can't get him into the draw - I wonder if there's some politics or bad blood between him and the tournament director.

GRANITECHIEF
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
He should play qualifying in Rome. That will give him the extra match practice he wants/needs. If he goes far in the tournament and needs a rest after he could skip Hamburg. If he loses early, more match practice qualifying for Hamburg.

I would guess he'd skate though qualifying pretty comfortably. I sure as heck wouldn't want to have to play him in qualifying.

Kevin Patrick
04-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Simple answer:he's not Italian. And his ranking was too low to get in at the time of the entry deadline.
Players who got wildcards:Potito Starace (62), Davide Sanguinetti (81), Alessio di Mauro (100) and Andreas Seppi (123) for the main draw.

"I definitely won't play in Rome and if I want to play in Hamburg, maybe I will have to do qualifying," the Spaniard said after losing to Moya. "I thought they were going to give me wildcards in both tournaments but they didn't.

I guess he's really not that big of a draw outside of Spain. When Agassi dropped to 141, no event would refuse him a wildcard.

Zeta
04-29-2005, 03:00 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=49729

You're right, unbelievable...

Vlad
04-29-2005, 03:04 PM
That is weird, because I am sure 99% of Italian tennis fans would rather watch Ferrero play than Seppi...

Gasquet is playing quallies... I guess when someone beats number 1 in the world that means nothing to Italians as well....

TwistServe
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Ferrero doesn't want to play in quals because he has a great chance to losE!.. Those qualifies are out for blood and have nothing to lose. He's going to have some tough matches in the quals!

DashaandSafin
04-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Psh yea right tough matches in qualies....im predicting 6-0 6-2. Remeber Ferrero was the king of clay.

rhubarb
04-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Ferrero can't play the qualifiers in Rome because he's not on the qually list (released three weeks before the tournament). He obviously thought he would get a WC.

Kevin Patrick
04-29-2005, 03:29 PM
rhubarb,
is that the case with hamburg as well?

arosen
04-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Guys in qualies are good enough to take him to 3 sets, and in a 3d its anyone's match.

Jonas
04-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I think this is going to be a blessing in discuise for JCF. He can play a couple more of the smaller events and perhaps the World Team Championships in Dusseldorf right before the French for a little more match experiance. I think fitness is more of an issue with Ferrero right now. He has plenty of time to get in '03 condition between now and RG. If he gets a decent draw we could easily be seeing him in the second weekend in Paris.

rhubarb
04-29-2005, 04:20 PM
rhubarb,
is that the case with hamburg as well?

Nope, he's in the qually list (6th) for Hamburg.

West Coast Ace
04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Simple answer:he's not Italian. And his ranking was too low to get in at the time of the entry deadline.
Players who got wildcards:Potito Starace (62), Davide Sanguinetti (81), Alessio di Mauro (100) and Andreas Seppi (123) for the main draw.

"I definitely won't play in Rome and if I want to play in Hamburg, maybe I will have to do qualifying," the Spaniard said after losing to Moya. "I thought they were going to give me wildcards in both tournaments but they didn't.

I guess he's really not that big of a draw outside of Spain. When Agassi dropped to 141, no event would refuse him a wildcard.I figured that the native sons were getting the slots - that doesn't make it right. Maybe next year JC and all the Spaniards will skip this tournament (pull out with bogus injuries) - what comes around goes around. di Mauro and Seppi should be playing lower tier tournaments to get points and boost their ranking, not taking spots in Masters Series events. And I disagree that JC isn't a draw in Italy or other European countries - he won the biggest clay tournament (RG) in 2003.

As far as playing the qualies I can see why JC wouldn't risk it - he would have a huge bullseye on his back.

Max G.
04-30-2005, 01:02 AM
I don't see what's wrong with them giving wildcards to random locals.

That's the whole point of wildcards - to give an option to the tournament director, to put WHOEVER he wants into the draw. There's no requirement that former-highly-ranked-players must get wildcards, or that somebody who is on a hot streak must get a wild card, or so on.

Looking at the players, I see the tournament director's rationale quite well - they're hometown players, they're ranked high enough so that they actually do have a chance of winning a round or so. Except for Sanguinetti, they're slightly rising in rankings - maybe this would give them a nice boost?

Wildcards are NOT there to give the best players entry.

I see it as perfectly right to use the wildcard slots to promote hometown boys.

gugafanatic
05-01-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't see what's wrong with them giving wildcards to random locals.

That's the whole point of wildcards - to give an option to the tournament director, to put WHOEVER he wants into the draw. There's no requirement that former-highly-ranked-players must get wildcards, or that somebody who is on a hot streak must get a wild card, or so on.

Looking at the players, I see the tournament director's rationale quite well - they're hometown players, they're ranked high enough so that they actually do have a chance of winning a round or so. Except for Sanguinetti, they're slightly rising in rankings - maybe this would give them a nice boost?

Wildcards are NOT there to give the best players entry.

I see it as perfectly right to use the wildcard slots to promote hometown boys.

I disagree, WC should only be made avaliable to those players who have produced signifcant results or promising potential. For instance, Wimbledon has scrapped its policy of giving out wildcards to home grown players and bases its system on current results produced by the player. This then provides players with greater incentive to do well all year round and devlop their game.

rhubarb
05-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I disagree, WC should only be made avaliable to those players who have produced signifcant results or promising potential. For instance, Wimbledon has scrapped its policy of giving out wildcards to home grown players and bases its system on current results produced by the player. This then provides players with greater incentive to do well all year round and devlop their game.

Yes, they have a "pre-qualifying" tournament for the players to earn the wildcards, just as Tennis Australia does. But the end result is still that the wcs go to home grown players.