PDA

View Full Version : Moving away from a PS 6.1 95 Classic

pastrami
04-29-2005, 06:06 PM
This was my racquet from college, it's been over 5yrs. since I really played and the other day when I went out to hit, most of my shots were off.

Can someone explain why I'm not getting the power I use to, is it just lack of practice that I'm not hitting the sweet spot?

For kicks, I switched with my partner's Prince TT Hornet and my shots were better and faster?

Is the Prince TT Hornet considered a tweaner racquet, something I should consider? Or stick it out with the PS racquet.

Thanks in adv!

BreakPoint
04-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes, the TT Hornet is definitely a tweener. Stick with the PS 6.1 Classic and practice a lot and work on your strokes. Since you haven't played in 5 years, it's natural for you to be a little off using a player's stick. Stay with it and I'm sure you'll get better with it and become a better player in the end. If not, you can always pick up a TT Hornet on the cheap later.

erik-the-red
04-29-2005, 06:40 PM
If you haven't picked up a racquet for five years, then it is no surprise that you were unable to get it going.

The PS6.1C is quite demanding due to its natural stationary heft and low "you gotta generate your own" power.

The TT Hornet is a tweener. Sure, it makes it easier for you to play NOW...but in the long run, your old racquet is better for technique reasons.

Don't feel bad. If I don't play for a few weeks I get rusty.

NoBadMojo
04-29-2005, 07:20 PM
time to climb out of the dark ages me thinks and into a modern frame. many of the ATP pros have and pretty much all of the WTA ones have. this is a good chance to learn to play the modern game since you've been out of the loop. you're 5 years older and the game is 5 years different now which is alot. my .o2

hummer23
04-29-2005, 07:36 PM
pro staff classic is a great frame. the new stuff isnt any better, and nothign new has that distinct feel to it. If you liked the frame, just give it soem time, get in a littel better shape perhaps, and play more often, and you will be loving it again. why didnt you play for 5 years? how'd you make it that long?

AndrewD
04-29-2005, 07:42 PM
pastrami,

perhaps, while you're making up your mind about a new racquet, you could have your old one restrung at a slightly lower tension than you used to use (age wearies us all lol). That will give you a bit more power and a bit more comfort while you find your shots. Also, it is a bit cheaper than buying a new frame and gives you more time to demo and see if there's anything out there you like.

JeffG
04-29-2005, 07:48 PM
NBMJ, Do you have any racquet suggestions for folks like pastrami? I'm in roughly the same boat.

I've been considering a tweenerish stick but all the tweeners I can find seem very underweight. I'm not necessarily against a little extra oomph to make up for my slowed game but I don't think I can deal with sub-11 oz frames. Is there a balance out there somewhere?

POGO
04-29-2005, 07:53 PM
This was my racquet from college, it's been over 5yrs. since I really played and the other day when I went out to hit, most of my shots were off.

Can someone explain why I'm not getting the power I use to, is it just lack of practice that I'm not hitting the sweet spot?

For kicks, I switched with my partner's Prince TT Hornet and my shots were better and faster?

Is the Prince TT Hornet considered a tweaner racquet, something I should consider? Or stick it out with the PS racquet.

Thanks in adv!
Yes the TT Hornet is a tweener racket. It is less than 11 oz. I believe it is as stiff as the PS 6.1 classic, but the TT hornet has better shock dampening design so that you can't feel the shock as much on your arms.

Most TT Hornet users add lead tape to make more stable. Which TT hornet did you play, MP or OS? You should also try out the TT Warrior. The OS Warrior seems to play much better than the MP.

pastrami
04-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll give the PS a few more tries, guess it's a bit frustrating, especially when you're partner is hot. :)

POGO: I played with the TT hornet MP. I'll see if the local pro shop has the TT Warrior for demo.

Jeff: Seems like we're in the same boat, let me know what you end up deciding.

NBMJ: Any recommedations on what modern racquet I should try out?

Coda
04-29-2005, 08:35 PM
mojo has been tooting new rackets recently...I say just string your classic a little lower and practice with it. It's normal for you to not be able to use a heavy stick after 5 years. If you used it then, you can use it now.

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Mojo is right, there's no point in ignoring the new racquets. They mightn't suit but what harm is there in checking them out? One suggestion I might make, if you do decide to have a look around at the newer frames, is not to overlook the Slazenger X1. Doesn't get as much attention as it deserves but it is a fine frame. Of course it does depend on your style of play but have a look at the comparitive reviews if you're at all curious.

Good luck

erik-the-red
04-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Go ahead and demo some new frames. But! When you play with them, try to forget about the respective technologies the racquet is showing off. Forget about nCode, Liquidmetal / Flexpoint, M-Fil, and so forth.

You may find that you like a Wilson nSix-One. Or...you may find that your PS Classic is still what you're looking for.

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 08:37 AM
I think that's a good suggestion. The new frames definately have their merits but most of the new technology claims should be taken with a grain of salt. If you do choose a racquet or two to demo, just focus on the basics - headsize, weight and swingweight. The other stuff -nano tech, Liquid Metal, Flexpoint etc- is more distraction that innovation.

NoBadMojo
04-30-2005, 08:53 AM
i'm sure someone suggested the obvious restring above. i assume pastrami got a restring job snce he hasnt played for a long time. given that, there are tons of great frames he could try..i wouldnt even know what to suggest without having a clue about how this guy plays...i think it kinda impt to know that before making suggestions.

Exile
04-30-2005, 09:05 AM
NBMJ, Do you have any racquet suggestions for folks like pastrami? I'm in roughly the same boat.

I've been considering a tweenerish stick but all the tweeners I can find seem very underweight. I'm not necessarily against a little extra oomph to make up for my slowed game but I don't think I can deal with sub-11 oz frames. Is there a balance out there somewhere?

I'm sure there is something.
Try one of the new ncodes or one of the older prostaffs.
head usually makes a bunch of crap that weighs over 11oz that are sort of tweeners. *cough* i.radical OS *cough*
If not, we'll always have lead tape.

pastrami
04-30-2005, 04:29 PM
What are some demo racquets I should grab this weekend? I was thinking the Dunlop 300G and the LM Instinct ... comments?

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Pastrami,

As Mojo said, we'd be unwise to make a lot of racquet suggestions without knowing what style of game you play. So, give folk a quick run-down and they can make some appropriate recommendations.

pastrami
04-30-2005, 10:45 PM
AndrewD:
Mainly a baseline player with a semi-western grip. I tend to generate a good amount of top spin but I'm trying to hit it flatter to generate more speed. Always striving to get that good 'pop' of the racquet.

Hope that helps, let me know what other info. I can provide.

After reading some threads, I think I want give the 300g OS and the LM Instinct ... any comments?

AndrewD
05-01-2005, 07:17 AM
If you like oversize racquets then Id be inclined to suggest the LM Radical OS. I thought it was quite a bit better than the 300G OS.

The LM Instinct is a really nice frame and, even though I dont particularly like longer racquets, its one I could see myself using. Nice power, more comfortable than the LM Radical mp (the oversize radical is fine) and a well balanced frame, good at the baseline and at the net. Strangely, a lot of guys out here don't seem to go for it and think its a woman's racquet. Pretty silly as it suits most styles equally well as you can see by Agassi hitting with it, as well as quite a few guys on the pro tour.

Also, one that I hadn't considered until today is the Wilson H Tour midplus. I was talking to a couple of players during a tournament today and they were pretty big wraps for it. Once again, seems to be good for a wide range of players. Light, so you'd probably want to add some weight but could be worth a look. Perhaps check out the TW review of it.

Let us know how you go , especially with the Instinct.

ssjkyle31
05-01-2005, 07:48 AM
I would play along the lines of the TT hornet. Check out the TW racket finder and plugin the specs of the hornet.

One of the biggest turnoff is believing that you can play as good as you played five years ago. I start back up three years ago from a ten year hiatus. I still haven't gotten back to the level of my early years.

Your body aches more. There is more stress. Things cloud your mind, projects at work, kids, and other stuff. It takes time. In this day and ages of instant gratification, some of the modern rackets can help you adjust a little bit, IMHO. It all depends on your commitment.

Hope everthing works well with you.

JeffG
05-01-2005, 08:47 AM
pastrami, et al-

How about the Volkl Tour 7. It's on sale at TW for $59.99. I've never been a big fan of OS sticks but this one looks interesting.

Head Size:
107 sq. in. / 690 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 11.1oz / 315g
Balance: 5pts Head Light
Swingweight: 305
Stiffness: 63
Beam Width: 22 mm Straight Beam

pastrami
05-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I would play along the lines of the TT hornet. Check out the TW racket finder and plugin the specs of the hornet.

One of the biggest turnoff is believing that you can play as good as you played five years ago. I start back up three years ago from a ten year hiatus. I still haven't gotten back to the level of my early years.

Your body aches more. There is more stress. Things cloud your mind, projects at work, kids, and other stuff. It takes time. In this day and ages of instant gratification, some of the modern rackets can help you adjust a little bit, IMHO. It all depends on your commitment.

Hope everthing works well with you.

Say it a'int so :( ... I'm just coming back from a really bad ankle sprain from bball, so my mobility is not 100% back yet. I'm sure I won't get back to the same level ... it's all good though, I love the game :)

Thomas
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
You could always switch to the nSix-one 95. ;)