PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Silent Partner!

lineitup
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Woooooo! Thanks to you guys who helped me make my decision =D

Time to go shovel the courts off...

beernutz
02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Which one did you get? I assume you are talking about a ball machine since this isn't in the stringing forum.
I just bought a Star today and I can't wait for it to get here.

lineitup
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah haha, the ball machine. I bought the lite model, thing works fine, didnt get to actually hit well with it cuz there was so much snow on the courts. DO NOT USE IT WHEN BALLS ARE WET! Makes it jam... I found out the hard way. SO instead, I'm currently just using it in my basement for volleys haha

jmjmkim
02-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Go online and get the extra battery. It's ready with all the wires for a 2nd battery.

1st Seed
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Be sure to add a additional pin inside the ball hopper or it will be jamming often.Do you see that little pin hole? you need a second pin.Congrat's on the Sp ggod buy.Enjoy!

lineitup
02-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Be sure to add a additional pin inside the ball hopper or it will be jamming often.Do you see that little pin hole? you need a second pin.Congrat's on the Sp ggod buy.Enjoy!

Uhhh slight problem with mine...

X1....X2
...X3...

Say those are the blue pin holder things, there should a x1 but its too low to stick the pin in when the hopper is attached.. and the one at x3 works fine but yeah, help?

Tina
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Can you post the picture here?

HitItHarder
02-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Uhhh slight problem with mine...

X1....X2
...X3...

Say those are the blue pin holder things, there should a x1 but its too low to stick the pin in when the hopper is attached.. and the one at x3 works fine but yeah, help?

My SP lite came with the single pin that you attach at the X3 spot you reference. There should be a hole for an additional pin in either the X1 or X2 posts. The extra pin isn't included, but there is room for one if you go to the hardware store and spend a quarter on one. Sounds like the hole on yours may be too low for a second pin, but are you sure you firmly pressed down on the basket? I have to push pretty firmly on mine to get it to sit all the way down.

It is up to you if you get one or not. I have had mine for about 2 months and have used it once or twice a week for about an hour and 1/2 each time. I have had it jam one time so far.

When the basket was pretty full, the spring arm that rotates and pushes the balls into the feeder pushed a ball between the bottom of the basket and the top of the actual machine. This caused the basket to tilt up slightly and allowed three balls to go into the feed slot at the same time. Of course it can't throw three balls at a time and the machine jammed, and popped out the small circuit breaker by the power switch. I saw the problem, pulled out the balls, and fired it back up. No problems.

I believe this happened because I had not firmly pressed down the basket on top of the machine. When I do, it is very firmly in place and won't dislodge. However, if you put in a second pin, it should prevent even the possibility of this happening.

If you want to put in a second pin and the hole is too low, honestly it isn't that hard to take a small drill bit and put a small hole for a pin in the other post. Or you can just watch for the problem and realize it can happen if the basket isn't firmly seated in place.

I have only been using the one pin and I have been fine with it. I have actually been using mine for the last week without any pins in it because the pin seems to have disappeared since the last time my wife and kids used the ball machine. Has worked fine with no jamming. But these pins cost about a quarter, so considering that cost verses what I paid for a ball machine, I will be picking some up very soon. Also, since I am already there, I will likely get a second pin as well.

lineitup
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Ahhh thanks for the insight man, really helpful =D

And when it jams, how do you go about taking the balls out?

I had to turn it on while leaning it over so they fall out throw the holes on the feeder which seems reallly tedious

HitItHarder
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Ahhh thanks for the insight man, really helpful =D

And when it jams, how do you go about taking the balls out?

I had to turn it on while leaning it over so they fall out throw the holes on the feeder which seems reallly tedious

I didn't find any trick to get the balls out, so I am glad it only happened once. I believe I turned feeder on long enough to center it over the hole, turned off the machine, and then reached inside. It was a tight fit.

Otherwise, you are stuck trying to take the cover off or holding it upside down or on its side.

drclawscat
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I have an SP edge lite with the 3 prong basket holder config. You need to put the pin in the back left corner (near the luggage) handle which is closest to the carousel. You only need that one pin, it will not jam.

The hole in the single front prong is only there for when the basket is inverted since it's (the hole) higher up on the prong than the rear left prong. If you have problems getting the basket down low enough for the pin to go through that rear left prong hole, just take an exacto blade and shave off some of that plastic edging frill created when they drilled it out. Should go in smoothly after that.

beernutz
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I hope this isn't a thread hijack but I have an SP Star, which is externally the same as the Lite, and the only thing I don't like about it is that almost every time I use it, between 5 and 7 balls will not fall into the rotating ball feeder carousel. These balls tend to be caught up against the front side of the hopper. I've pushed the hopper down solidly against the base and still these left over balls will be there went the other balls have all been fed.

One option I've thought of trying to get them to feed is to put something in the hopper in the place where these balls congregate but I haven't figured out exactly what would work there. Any constructive suggestions are much appreciated.

drclawscat
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I hope this isn't a thread hijack but I have an SP Star, which is externally the same as the Lite, and the only thing I don't like about it is that almost every time I use it, between 5 and 7 balls will not fall into the rotating ball feeder carousel. These balls tend to be caught up against the front side of the hopper. I've pushed the hopper down solidly against the base and still these left over balls will be there went the other balls have all been fed.

One option I've thought of trying to get them to feed is to put something in the hopper in the place where these balls congregate but I haven't figured out exactly what would work there. Any constructive suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm assuming you have the 'edge' star; How about trying a small ramp type thing in there? i.e. Like a cut down 2" binder, to keep all the ball angled down and forcing them to roll towards the carousel? Or a fold a section of cardboard/shipping box in 3 to make a triangle profile and velcro it on the bottom front edge so you can remove it to invert the hopper.

<|

If you happen to have the chance to take a look at your circuit board (4 screws to remove) could you take a look at the back of the board where the receiver plugs in? I'm wondering if the top 4 pins are sodered together on the STAR on the back like:

X1
X2

X3
X4

X5

X6

On the lite they are sodered. I'll upload a picture later to describe this.

beernutz
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm assuming you have the 'edge' star; How about trying a small ramp type thing in there? i.e. Like a cut down 2" binder, to keep all the ball angled down and forcing them to roll towards the carousel? Or a fold a section of cardboard/shipping box in 3 to make a triangle profile and velcro it on the bottom front edge so you can remove it to invert the hopper.

<|

If you happen to have the chance to take a look at your circuit board (4 screws to remove) could you take a look at the back of the board where the receiver plugs in? I'm wondering if the top 4 pins are sodered together on the STAR on the back like:

X1
X2

X3
X4

X5

X6

On the lite they are sodered. I'll upload a picture later to describe this.

I'll take a look and if I can I'll take a picture and upload it.

Thanks for the suggestion re the ball hopper.

drclawscat
03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Here's a picture of the back that I was referring too with the pins in question circled:

If you do happen to open up the machine to take a picture, any other pictures of the front of the board (pin connector header) or where the receiver is mounted would be appreciated too!

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/pinssoder.jpg

drclawscat
03-03-2010, 08:34 AM

I took a look at this problem last night (which I also have) and came of with a quick solution.

I used one 12.5" x 1.5" section of foam board and one 2" x 1.5" section of board stuck together with double sided tape and a square of velcro on the smaller square. (I believe the board is about .2" thick) Then I put another piece of velcro inside the hopper. This prevents the balls from being able to rest on the indentation between the front wall and the extruded injection molded surface. I ran 3 trial test and got every ball in the hopper to feed.

This is going to be my permanent solution since it weighs next to nothing, is basically free, and allows me to invert the hopper w/o having to remove it.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/hopper1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/hopper2.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/hopper3.jpg

beernutz
03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
I took a look at this problem last night (which I also have) and came of with a quick solution.

I used one 12.5" x 1.5" section of foam board and one 2" x 1.5" section of board stuck together with double sided tape and a square of velcro on the smaller square. (I believe the board is about .2" thick) Then I put another piece of velcro inside the hopper. This prevents the balls from being able to rest on the indentation between the front wall and the extruded injection molded surface. I ran 3 trial test and got every ball in the hopper to feed.

This is going to be my permanent solution since it weighs next to nothing, is basically free, and allows me to invert the hopper w/o having to remove it.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/hopper1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/hopper2.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/sumwokq/Other/hopper3.jpg

That's a neat idea, I am going to try it myself. Thanks!

parasailing
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Great idea drclawscat. I hated the fact that there would always be like 5 to 10 balls on the sides.

Bolivian10s
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Great idea drclawscat. I hated the fact that there would always be like 5 to 10 balls on the sides.

5 to 10 balls!! YIKES I hope somebody at SP reads these forums and actually will do something to improve this annoying problem, if they don't OH WELL:confused:

JRW
03-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Go online and get the extra battery. It's ready with all the wires for a 2nd battery.

Can anyone with the newer SP Lite confirm if they are wired for an extra battery? I know the older ones were but I thought I read that the newer ones were not. Thanks.

drclawscat
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Can anyone with the newer SP Lite confirm if they are wired for an extra battery? I know the older ones were but I thought I read that the newer ones were not. Thanks.

They are not prewired.

charliefedererer
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Actually I have the older model and it is not prewired for an extra battery either. But it only takes like 15 seconds to remove one battery and install another. I got the replacement at this site http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=202&sub2=2020034 for $16, the salesperson was very knowledgable and helpful, and the battery still works great after a year.

leafscat
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Actually I have the older model and it is not prewired for an extra battery either. But it only takes like 15 seconds to remove one battery and install another. I got the replacement at this site http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=202&sub2=2020034 for $16, the salesperson was very knowledgable and helpful, and the battery still works great after a year.

I wonder if it is something they stopped (or started). I have the older SP Lite (square version) and it was pre-wired for the extra battery. I had to fabricate a bracket to hold the battery down but the wires were there and it charges at the same time as the top battery through the same connection.