PDA

View Full Version : Federer Pulls out of Roma????

VamosRafa
04-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Just got this info on another board. Hasn't been confirmed, but this site says Federer has withdrawn. No reason why.

http://www.italiantennis.it/

dAgEnIuS
04-29-2005, 07:45 PM
this year's Roma would sucK..
no hewitt, federer, ferrero, nadal, and other top players...
gasquet is in the qualifying....

dAgEnIuS
04-29-2005, 07:49 PM
wait!!!
if this is true.... Roddick would be the #1 seed in Roma!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VamosRafa
04-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Guess Rafa cancelled his flight to Rome and didn't tell us??? He's scheduled to leave on Saturday.

Chloe
04-29-2005, 08:36 PM
wait!!!
if this is true.... Roddick would be the #1 seed in Roma!!!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a great time to reach the semis again!

Okay, probably not, but for my own amusement I sure hope so. It would irk some people :D

Jill
04-29-2005, 08:47 PM
What a great time to reach the semis again!

Okay, probably not, but for my own amusement I sure hope so. It would irk some people :DHAHAHA it sure would. Pretty amusing thought. Too bad for Fed, I hope he's not injured.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Fed out? Might be true.

He's still in the players' list at:
http://www.telecomitaliamasters.it/players.asp
but you know, tournaments stick to the names until the very last moment, before announcing withdrawals ...

He never did too well there (OK, final lost to Mantilla), better in Hamburg, perhaps he's just managing his resources, hopefully nothing bad.

I don't think anyone can take Rome, Hamburg, Paris full steam.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 12:48 AM
this year's Roma would sucK..
no hewitt, federer, ferrero, nadal, and other top players...
gasquet is in the qualifying....
If the stuff with Fed is true, I'd give a WC to Gasquet, which is (1) in Q, or to Ferrero, who complained not getting one.

Zeta
04-30-2005, 01:02 AM
30/04/2005 10:32 - FEDERER SI RITIRA: PROBLEMI AI PIEDI
Roger Federer (foto Costantini)
Il Comitato Organizzatore del Telecom Italia Masters 2005 comunica che il giocatore Roger Federer si è ritirato dal torneo di Singolare Maschile. Federer soffre di un’infiammazione plantare a entrambi i piedi e ha presentato all’ATP regolare certificato medico.
Questo il commento del presidente della Federazione Italiana Tennis, proprietaria dell’evento romano: “L’inattesa notizia del ritiro di Federer ci rattrista e allo stesso tempo ci contraria. Gli appassionati italiani che contavano di poter ammirare anche quest’anno il suo bel tennis sono giustamente delusi, anche se il livello di qualità dei partecipanti al torneo resta eccezionale e lo spettacolo che il Foro Italico è in grado di offrire ha pochi eguali nella stagione.
“Mentre auguro al giocatore di ristabilirsi presto e di tornare a Roma nel 2006, non posso non sottolineare che per l’ATP sta diventando sempre più difficile garantire, come è contrattualmente impegnata a fare, la partecipazione dei primi 50 giocatori del mondo ai Tornei del circuito Masters Series. Si tratta di un problema grave che deve essere risolto per garantire i diritti degli appassionati e gli enormi investimenti di organizzatori e sponsor. A tale scopo, la FIT intende promuovere una riflessione comune fra i responsabili dei nove tornei del circuito”.

Foot problem.
SOB! I'd like to see him playing...

Max G.
04-30-2005, 01:06 AM
If the stuff with Fed is true, I'd give a WC to Gasquet, which is (1) in Q, or to Ferrero, who complained not getting one.

I don't think that if someone withdraws they get to replace him with a wildcard - I think that they just have to take a lucky loser (highest-ranked player to lose in the final round of qualies). Or, I think if the draw hasn't been made yet, then they can just take the next person down on the entry list.

Either way, I think it helps Gasquet get in - if he loses early in qualies the he shouldn't have been in the main draw anyway.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't think that if someone withdraws they get to replace him with a wildcard - I think that they just have to take a lucky loser (highest-ranked player to lose in the final round of qualies). Or, I think if the draw hasn't been made yet, then they can just take the next person down on the entry list.

I assume the main draw is not yet done (or at least, not on that pretty weak site). Thus I think they can do what they want, take Gasquet (won't do that probably, as the qualies will have to start within hours) or invite Ferrero as a WC.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
30/04/2005 10:32 - FEDERER SI RITIRA: PROBLEMI AI PIEDI
Roger Federer (foto Costantini)
Il Comitato Organizzatore del Telecom Italia Masters 2005 comunica che il giocatore Roger Federer si è ritirato dal torneo di Singolare Maschile. Federer soffre di un’infiammazione plantare a entrambi i piedi e ha presentato all’ATP regolare certificato medico.

Foot problem.
SOB! I'd like to see him playing...

infiammazione plantare:
Is this plantar fasciitis?
If it is, it could be a serious longterm problem.

For those curious, check my posting at:
Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800
Heel and Foot Pain section

Max G.
04-30-2005, 02:51 AM
I assume the main draw is not yet done (or at least, not on that pretty weak site). Thus I think they can do what they want, take Gasquet (won't do that probably, as the qualies will have to start within hours) or invite Ferrero as a WC.

Hmm, can they? That would be interesting. I would've thought that they can't just use last-minute withdrawals as excuses to give wildcards to whomever... I could be wrong though, we'll see. My guess is that they take a lucky loser.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 03:12 AM
Hmm, can they? That would be interesting. I would've thought that they can't just use last-minute withdrawals as excuses to give wildcards to whomever... I could be wrong though, we'll see. My guess is that they take a lucky loser.

Your guess is the safe one.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 03:31 AM
http://www.telecomitaliamasters.it/

confirms:
--------------------------
30/04/2005 11:06 - FEDERER HAS WITHDRAWN

World number 1 player Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Telecom Italia Masters due to a plantar fascitis in both feet.
-------------------------
and btw it's plantar fasciitis (and not fascitis):
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0180.htm

I wonder if Roger got it like I got it, from some bad shoes (NB 800 in my case, not flexible enough, check:
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm
for a good shoe flexibility test)

rhubarb
04-30-2005, 03:49 AM

Max, you're quite right. It's not possible to replace a main draw direct entry withdrawl with a wildcard. They will either take the next alternate from the entry list, or a lucky loser from the last round of qualifying. I'm not sure when the cut-off is, it's probably when the qualifying draw is made, and that happened Friday night (they are already playing first round qualifying today).

YEMntFtb
04-30-2005, 04:35 AM
So no ferrero no gasquet then?

rhubarb
04-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Ferrero wasn't even on the qualifying list to start with, so there was no way he could have got in without a wildcard. Gasquet was on the alternate list for qualifying (i.e. waiting for a spot), and enough guys pulled out for him to get a place. So he is playing quallies, but Ferrero is not.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Ferrero wasn't even on the qualifying list to start with, so there was no way he could have got in without a wildcard. Gasquet was on the alternate list for qualifying (i.e. waiting for a spot), and enough guys pulled out for him to get a place. So he is playing quallies, but Ferrero is not.

Where did you see the lists? URL?

Anyway, Gasquet won today. Tough match, as expected, with Sanchez.

First Round (Q):
Victor Hanescu (ROM) d. Gregory Carraz (FRA) 62 63
Nicolas Almagro (ESP) d. Razvan Sabau (ROM) 60 75
Jonas Bjorkman (SWE) d. Kevin Kim (USA) 64 61
Santiago Ventura (ESP) d. Ivo Heuberger (SUI) 62 76 (5)
Alberto Martin (ESP) d. Jean-Rene Lisnard (FRA) 63 62
Peter Wessels (NED) d. Daniele BRACCIALI 62 62
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) d. Jerome Haehnel (FRA) 61 36 62
Richard Gasquet (FRA) d. David Sanchez (ESP) 75 76 (6)

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 06:35 AM
ARod is (1), the main draw is out without Ferrero:-[
http://www.telecomitaliamasters.it/public/SM.pdf
the only WCs are the 4 Italians mentioned.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Several first round matchups:

ARod Rusedski
Coria Gonzalez
Fish Schuettler
Nadal Youzhnyi
Pavel Canas
Kiefer Haas
O. Rochus Ljubicic
Agassi Di Mauro
Verdasco Davydenko
Safin Novak
Gaudio Beck

federerhoogenbandfan
04-30-2005, 07:27 AM
None of the top players who dont like clay, want to play all the Masters Series events on clay. They always come up with an injury to skip out. Roger is just doing what the other top players, who dont like clay, all do for atleast one of the events.

Fedubai
04-30-2005, 07:33 AM
I doubt that.

Consider this quote in Miami.
----------------------------------------------------------
Q. In preparation for Roland Garros, will you play first Monte-Carlo, Hamburg, Rome, all of them?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, I will. That's the plan. If I'm not playing one or the other, it's a bad sign (smiling).
----------------------------------------------------------

scoot
04-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Also, he's had the last week off after Monte Carlo for rest. So its not like he's one of those Ferreros/Gugas/Brugueras etc. who are top dirtballers and thus RG contenders and thus make their dough playing all the clay events thus feeling the need to have some breather during the clay season (they cant play 7 weeks in a row on the stuff)

federerhoogenbandfan
04-30-2005, 07:45 AM
If you look at the schedules of Hewitt, Federer, Roddick, Agassi, very rarely do any of them play all three Masters Series events. I suspect Roger would have skipped either the Italian Open or Hamburg anyway. I expect him to be at Hamburg.

DashaandSafin
04-30-2005, 07:53 AM
wtf....ferrero not get a wildcard or an invite into the qualies? ******** Italians.

raftermania
04-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Fed's lost to Gasquet was potentially out of fatigue from IW and Miami. Perhaps, he's cognisant of this now and has changed his mind about playing all 3 clay TMSs. How does he get that foot problem from just practicing? I think this is a good decision nonetheless, b/c it means more energy in Fed at the French.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I agree. It is good tact and good imagination. It sounds better than saying he had jock itch or athletes foot. :)

Misiti99
04-30-2005, 08:40 AM
why is someone saying Nadal isnt going.....
and any word on when Hewitt is coming back?

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Posted by Roger today at his official site.
http://www.rogerfederer.com

Hm, bothering him since the AO?
This seems serious.
Knowing planar fasciitis as I unfortunately do, I'm not surprised. Took me 1.5 years to get over it.
-----------------
ROME CANCELLED

Dear fans,

In order to rest and fully treat the foot-injury that has been bothering me since the Australian Open I have decided to renounce from taking part at the Masters Series tournament in Rome. Apart from this fact my further preparations are going according to schedule.

Yours, Roger

Sunday, 01 May 2005
---------------

Fedubai
05-01-2005, 03:56 AM
I read about someone who had it for seven years! :shock:

But I'm sure Roger has the best available advice and treatment, which is good.

I just think it's funny to read what people say on this site about rackets and now injuries. Very strange. Most of it is speculation yet people treat it as the final word.

I don't think Roger is the kind of guy to lie about an injury so he can take a rest. If he was just tired then I think he would just say so, as he told the Madrid organizers last year. I don't think he would 'invent' an injury.

devila
05-01-2005, 04:17 AM
He used the excuse of foot blister when he lost the Australian Open semifinal.
After he barely won matches, he complained about his tiredness and foot inflammation.
When Mr. Integrity wins an easy match, he has no trouble jumping and rolling around on the ground like it's a huge shock.

Fedubai
05-01-2005, 05:13 AM
Actually, to my knowledge this is the first time he has mentioned this at all this year.

And yeah, he is Mr. Integrity. He didn't use the excuse of blisters when he lost. He said it bothered him. So? He also said Safin deserved to win. What is he going to say, it didn't bother him?

And when did he 'complain' about being tired? Don't you think that someone like him who has played seven tournaments and won five (not including Kooyong which he also won) inlcuding two Masters Series events and been to the Quarters and Semis of the tournaments he lost and gave everything he had every bit of the way would be just a little bit tired?

I can see where someone like Safin is fine in early May, but other players are a little tired at this time.