PDA

View Full Version : Live from the SAP guys!

PrinceAce
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Verdasco has switched to yonex! And there's no way Pete Sampras is using a 88 head size it's gotta be a at least a 93 from what I can see >.> but I still picked up the pro staff 88 it's being strung as we speak!

siowmotion
02-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Do you ahev a replay of the verdasco vs sampras match? I couldn't find a steam and ended up missing it.

ayuname
02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
pics or it didn't happen. :)

BoomerangX
02-08-2010, 08:01 PM
pics or it didn't happen. :)

Agreed :(
10char.

gino
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=311937

ayuname
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
^
Oh, he beat me to it. :p

PrinceAce
02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Gino are you here at the sap too?

PrinceAce
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Do you ahev a replay of the verdasco vs sampras match? I couldn't find a steam and ended up missing it.

Nah you can't record they're pretty strict on it but it was a bit dissapointing if your a Sampras fan..

DNShade
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Verdasco has switched to yonex! And there's no way Pete Sampras is using a 88 head size it's gotta be a at least a 93 from what I can see >.> but I still picked up the pro staff 88 it's being strung as we speak!

Well unless Pete just switched in the last few weeks - he does play with the KPS88. I get my sticks strung at the same place by the same guy as Pete does, and I've held his sticks. KPS88.

VGP
02-08-2010, 08:41 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100209/capt.eb20700f5d6a4581abf031bb2a8e0aa9.sampras_exhi bition_tennis_cagn105.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100209/capt.d57eae10bd0940d3adf5ecbd41b571a8.sampras_exhi bition_tennis_cagn101.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100209/capt.8313f56ab1f24a80814cfe7919f1e740.sampras_exhi bition_tennis_cagn103.jpg

forthegame
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Hang on, this is an ATP 250 event, no? How did Sampras get in? It's not an EXO is it?

EDIT: Realised 'twas a Charity singles exhibition.

PrinceAce
02-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Well unless Pete just switched in the last few weeks - he does play with the KPS88. I get my sticks strung at the same place by the same guy as Pete does, and I've held his sticks. KPS88.

I'm not saying that it's not a kps88 paint job but hisspecs must be different because his headsize looks bigger compared to the one I'm holding and I can see it pretty clearly from where I'm sitting

PrinceAce
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Hang on, this is an ATP 250 event, no? How did Sampras get in? It's not an EXO is it? It just dawned on me that it's a regular tour event, is he (Sampras) back on the professional circuit?

No it was a exhibition match for charity they do it every year at the sap.

gino
02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks Gino are you here at the sap too?

No, but I will be there all day thursday as a ballkid! haha
Also I will be there saturday and friday!

PrinceAce
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
No, but I will be there all day thursday as a ballkid! haha
Also I will be there saturday and friday!

Cool I'm going tommorow and Sunday have fun!

DNShade
02-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm not saying that it's not a kps88 paint job but hisspecs must be different because his headsize looks bigger compared to the one I'm holding and I can see it pretty clearly from where I'm sitting

Like I said - not a PJ. Swung and held his sticks many times and played on court right next to him - and compared them to the stock KPS88 right in the store and except for the lead and grip-work - same exact stick and headsize. Unless something changed in the last few weeks which I doubt.

ci2ca
02-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Man, you guys are quick..I was just there too.

Yaz
02-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Good match - Pete was a little off though, especially in the first set. Looked like he was having some trouble with Verdasco's heavy groundies. Here is Verdasco with his new Yonex gear

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4343160476_b3c02bfde4.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4343158740_f3c3aa3d8c.jpg

ci2ca
02-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Haha, Yaz, those exhibition matches are a joke, everybody thinks it's a serious match, Verdasco was rolling in serves trying to get pete in the point. Good entertainment for the folks.

Applecider
02-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Good match - Pete was a little off though, especially in the first set. Looked like he was having some trouble with Verdasco's heavy groundies. Here is Verdasco with his new Yonex gear

Back to Barricades?

Riosfan
02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
is Pete still waring oscillates?

PrinceAce
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Like I said - not a PJ. Swung and held his sticks many times and played on court right next to him - and compared them to the stock KPS88 right in the store and except for the lead and grip-work - same exact stick and headsize. Unless something changed in the last few weeks which I doubt.

hmm maybe your right but im just stating what i saw

DNShade
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
hmm maybe your right but im just stating what i saw

Just looked at the pics from SAP event last night and it looks exactly like the KPS88 he's always used. Sometimes your eyes can play tricks on you in person.

tomas9848
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
wow thats crazy he is using yonex.

woodrow1029
02-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Nice photos. Do you have any by any chance from the coin toss?

Bjorn
02-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Strong fetish.

VGP
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Strong fetish.

wadaya mean?

woodrow1029 was in the chair for the match. Sounds like he wants to know if he might get a souvenir photo. He couldn't have taken one himself at the time......he was busy.

Yaz
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM

No photos from coin toss...sorry. Just took a few random ones during and after match.

acm
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
DNShade,

Are you sure Sampras's k88 is the same as the one from the stock? if that info is right, that's pretty cool. Do you know if Sampras add any weight in his frame besides the 3:9 o'clock? I have the k88 and weights 370 gr with 4 layers of lead tape at 3:9 o'clock.

Thank you

DNShade
02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
DNShade,

Are you sure Sampras's k88 is the same as the one from the stock? if that info is right, that's pretty cool. Do you know if Sampras add any weight in his frame besides the 3:9 o'clock? I have the k88 and weights 370 gr with 4 layers of lead tape at 3:9 o'clock.

Thank you

It's the same exact stick as stock (unless something changed in the last month or so - or if it's some specially made layup in the same mold and PJ - but if that was the case then why the lead?) and from what his regular in town stringer knows as well - it's just a regular KPS88.

It has Nate's leadwork on at 3&9 and he has a synthetic grip under the tourna not the stock leather. As far as any other lead - I don't know maybe under the grip or bumper - but none else I could see. Hope that helps.

wilfreb
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
from espn

"He plays about a half-dozen exhibition events a year. He's using a bigger racket these days to try to keep up with the hard-hitting youngsters on tour now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4899049

DNShade
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
from espn

"He plays about a half-dozen exhibition events a year. He's using a bigger racket these days to try to keep up with the hard-hitting youngsters on tour now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4899049

That's referring to him using the KPS88 from the PS 85 - indeed bigger. Not talking about a change from a couple of months ago.

woodrow1029
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
wadaya mean?

woodrow1029 was in the chair for the match. Sounds like he wants to know if he might get a souvenir photo. He couldn't have taken one himself at the time......he was busy.

The tournament left a ticket at will call for my wife. When she got to the arena, and paid the $20 for parking, she got the ticket, and it was a ticket for Tuesday night session and not Monday night, so she couldn't get any photos. Im hoping that the tournament director emails me the photo of the coin toss. But we will see.

acm
02-09-2010, 09:36 PM
DNShade,

Thanks for your quick response. I though maybe you felt that Sampras added some weight in other places of his frame such as the handle, butt, or head. Do you have any pics of his frame? Anyway, thank you for the info about the k88.

DNShade
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
DNShade,

Thanks for your quick response. I though maybe you felt that Sampras added some weight in other places of his frame such as the handle, butt, or head. Do you have any pics of his frame? Anyway, thank you for the info about the k88.

It didn't feel all that heavy to me - but I wasn't really paying that much attention. I'll check it out the next time I'm there if his sticks are handy and ask Rick as well. See if there is any other info. I'll let you know.

Recon
02-10-2010, 01:08 AM
it's been proven that the kps88 is not actually an 88. it's the same headsize as the k90, which is more like a 93. Search up Jack and Coke, he measured the headsizes.

PrinceAce
02-10-2010, 10:23 AM
It didn't feel all that heavy to me - but I wasn't really paying that much attention. I'll check it out the next time I'm there if his sticks are handy and ask Rick as well. See if there is any other info. I'll let you know.

okay now I have my doubts your going to his stringer because theres a lot of evidence pointer towards the head size being bigger and you said his stringers name is rick when his Personal stringers names is Nate Ferguson:

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/Features/9908NateFerguson.html

Im pretty sure his head size wasn't an 88 but if you could just to make your point your trying to get across take pic with a stock KPS88 next to and over one of the pete sampras sticks available

VGP
02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
PrinceAce - sounds like you really want to be right...... :)

it's been proven that the kps88 is not actually an 88. it's the same headsize as the k90, which is more like a 93. Search up Jack and Coke, he measured the headsizes.

J&C says it's a 90.....here..... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295535)

The tournament left a ticket at will call for my wife. When she got to the arena, and paid the $20 for parking, she got the ticket, and it was a ticket for Tuesday night session and not Monday night, so she couldn't get any photos. Im hoping that the tournament director emails me the photo of the coin toss. But we will see.

That's too bad woodrow1029.... Yeah, the pre-match pleasantries are prime time for photos. I did think about the tournament director after my last post as there's always photos taken of the players, the players with someone local or someone "important", or in your case, the chair umpire.

Was it a fun match to call? Sounds like it was a bit of a downer night for Sampras. He mentioned to the media that it wasn't all that competitive at times....

Extrapolating from the match......I wonder if Sampras will be slipping into semi-retirement again. From recent articles, he's said that "the romance has gone" a little from playing. After "not picking up a racket for four years and then since he's enjoyed playing against his old rivals in exos and senior tour.....been able to play younger players like Ginepri when he came back, Federer, Verdasco, et al. Some in between guys like Safin and Haas......

Joeyg
02-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Malisse, a straight set winner over the troll.

budkid
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I just went last night(tuesday). I got some pics from the haas, byan bros, and querry match. I am going for the whole day on Thursday.

Check my blog below!

DNShade
02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
okay now I have my doubts your going to his stringer because theres a lot of evidence pointer towards the head size being bigger and you said his stringers name is rick when his Personal stringers names is Nate Ferguson:

http://av.warehousesports.com/tw/Features/9908NateFerguson.html

Im pretty sure his head size wasn't an 88 but if you could just to make your point your trying to get across take pic with a stock KPS88 next to and over one of the pete sampras sticks available

He doesn't get his sticks strung by Nate anymore - P1 is busy out on tour. Nate does do the lead and handle work as far as I know - but they aren't exactly local to have regular string jobs.

Here in town (LA) he gets his rackets strung at a small shop in Westwood (Rick at Westwood Sports) - the same guy who strings for the LA Open every year. He's been doing the tourney and Pete's sticks at least since he's retired (and before that when he was in town) and Rick's father Bill strung for everyone in town and the LA Open for decades before he retired. This isn't a secret.

I have no idea about what the headsize measures - if it's a true 88 or 90 or even 93 - I'll leave that up to you internet math guys - but it is a regular KPS88 and exactly the same headsize and stick in every way.

DNShade
02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
By the way - here is some info from a post I made a long time ago as the KPS was just about to come out about Pete's sticks - when everyone was wondering about the specs etc. and someone stopped in at Westwood Sports and saw them and took some pics.
Okay...Update time

First of all - I'm not Gimelstob - so let's kill that right now.

Second of all I found myself over in Westwood this afternoon and decided to drop by Westwood Sports to find out the info for you guys and I guess fate was on our side for the second I walked in - and what do I behold? A bunch of KPS being strung up. You know who just got back in town and was getting things strung up. Pete's getting ready for the Blake expo. So I talked to them about the sticks held them in my hands (oh...ahhh...I may never wash my hands again....*S*) etc. Here it is:

Looks like the OP did take pics of Pete's stick - looks the same - same lead placement, etc - but Pete's grips are 5/8 - so don't know where they got 3/8 from. It's the same stock KPS stick that will be coming out - Nate at P1 still does the lead for Pete. 3 and 9 just like in the pics - lead also under the bumper and in the handle. He just uses the stock synthetic grip (not leather - I was surprised) and wrapped with good old Tournagrip.

I didn't have a camera on me - but I did have him weight them - 374 unstrung and 393 strung. Still stringing the hybrid of VS gut mains and lux crosses at the same tight *** tension as always and yes he still uses power pads.

So there you go - all the news that's fit to print. I'll keep an eye open for Pete on the courts this week as well and let you know if there is anything else to report.

Hope that helps

PrinceAce
02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I dont even know anymore its become more of an argument than I expected I dont cares whos right or wrong I just wanted to know what size his head was on his stick -___-

DNShade
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
I dont even know anymore its become more of an argument than I expected I dont cares whos right or wrong I just wanted to know what size his head was on his stick -___-

There is no need to figure out who's right or wrong - I'm telling you fact. His sticks are exactly the same size (and most likely just stock with lead) KPS88. Rick strings his sticks here in town all the time and has for years and the specs I posted above are from his personal sticks. There is no argument. That is just fact - first hand from me. Take it or leave it.

Now if something changed in the last month or so - I don't know - but I seriously doubt it - and looking at the pics from the SAP - same sticks he's been playing with and that I've held many times.

So bottom line - if you are hitting with a KPS88 - just add some lead and a new grip and you are hitting with the same thing Pete is.