PDA

View Full Version : Throwers 10???

pheonix6579
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I am starting this to really help with my shoulder issues.

How many reps and sets should I do to start and how often should I increase the work?

mike53
02-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Start with one set of 8-10 reps. When you can do 15 reps with good form throughout the entire range of motion, you can increase the weight for a given exercise. Of course, many people do more. I do multiple sets of 15+ reps, increasing the weight with each set.

charliefedererer
02-09-2010, 07:06 AM
First of all, if you have "shoulder issues" you should be under the care of a sports medicine orthopod with a special interest in shoulder problems in throwing athletes.
He may want you to be under the care of a physical therapist who will guide your shoulder program.

If it turns out it is okay to do the thrower's 10 protocol, realize that the first few times through it you will be learning how to do the exercises and starting to get some feedback on how much effort you will be expending, especially with the resistance band exercises where the force is impossible to quantify. For the dumbell exercises it would not be a tragedy if you started on the light side (Rome wasn't built in a day). But a guide would be within a few weeks you should be working with weights that will allow you to do at least three sets (and optimally five sets) of about 5 repetions of near your maximal lifting weight for each exerise. As your strength increases you will be able to do more repetions. When you get up to doing 8 repetitions, it's time to move onto a slightly heavier weight. (You actually may want to be more careful on weight progressions at the wrist area to not give yourself a sore wrist.)

Don't lose sight of the idea that the thrower's ten should be a long term committment, and should be kept up during your tennis season. On days you haven't served a lot, you probably can do the sets right after you finish playing. But if you are exhaused and/or your shoulder is very sore, it's better to wait until at least the next day.

charliefedererer
02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Start with one set of 8-10 reps. When you can do 15 reps with good form throughout the entire range of motion, you can increase the weight for a given exercise. Of course, many people do more. I do multiple sets of 15+ reps, increasing the weight with each set.

I started posting my reply above, then got interrupted before finishing. I guess the big question is whether it is a goal to try and increase the strength of these shoulder/scapula stabilizing muscles in a more aggressive fashion. This is my slow offseason and I am working more in strength gains in other areas with heavier lifting, and trying to match some strength gains in the shoulder stabilizers. During the main part of the season when I will be playing regularly, it's more of struggle to juggle the workouts and the playing. I noticed late into the fall I was doing more in the 8 rep range as I had little desire to push the weight up and be fatigued going to play the next day.