PDA

View Full Version : Practice pain: Love it or hate it? How do you deal with it?

kiteboard
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Physical pain, after or during practice. How do you deal, love it or hate it? Legs aching, back blazing, shoulder throbbing, ankle bursting, calf raging, elbow on fire, groin aching, hamstring screaming, knee swollen, wrist broken at the hamate, biceps torn, rotator knifed, etc. How do you deal with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F3ovb2kZ9Q

chess9
02-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Crying helps. ;)

-Robert

tennytive
02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I use the chi energy in my bloodstream to heal myself in just a few minutes.

kiteboard
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I use the chi energy in my bloodstream to heal myself in just a few minutes.

For me it takes a few days or so, maybe a couple of weeks for a major pull. So many negative nellies on internet forums, where any fool or coward can digitally say anything and the only consequence of the prevalent nastiness is in their own mind.

My theory is, the people most likely to be nasty on these boards, are exactly the same people who would never say the same in person, due to the slight possibility, that the person they are insulting, may actually retaliate somehow. So it's the coward, who is most prone to insult via keyboard. It's the only way he can feel powerful, by swinging a virtual sledge hammer, rather than try to build something positive. Always easier to destroy than it is to build, and that's why negativity is so commonplace here, due to the prevalence of destroyers vs the builders.

dman72
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm fine within 24 hours everywhere except for my right hip. That is going to be a big problem as I get older. I've been doing more focused stretching and muscle building on that leg as it's obviously becoming arthritic. I forecast hip replacement in 15 years or so (i'm 38), but I'll work to avoid it.

charliefedererer
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Seeing "Top ten norcal", I assume you are doing a lot of off court training.

So is it the tennis or the offcourt training, or both that is killing you?

Is it possible you need some down time to recover now, so as not to face burnout in the near term?

Or is it the opposite, that you need a little more offcourt conditioning to get "over the hump"?

LeeD
02-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I adopt the "every other day" routine, so I get a full day's rest, until about 3 weeks of continued play, when I can go one more day per week.
I'm old, need rest, and straining the same muscles and tendons every day just doesn't give me time to recover.
Or, I can choose to play ONE set of singles, in addition to 3 doubles, so my body don't get broken down. Less is better and drop the singles on your rest days.
For me, Ibuprofen does wonders. Me, hardly able to walk going to the courts, then playing 90 % after 45 minutes. No brainwork, of course, Ibu buzzes out my creative brain functions. 600 mg lasts about 2 hours.

T Woody
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I foam roll the bejeezus out of myself for 30 minutes while watching the daily show on hulu. Plus about 6 grams of fish oil every day. All is well.

T Woody
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Legs aching, back blazing, shoulder throbbing, calf raging, hamstring screaming

And to be specific, these are the ones i typically deal with.

ankle bursting, elbow on fire, groin aching, knee swollen, wrist broken at the hamate, biceps torn, rotator knifed, etc.

If these are your problems daily, you need a couple MRI's, a full time physio, and a chill pill.

r2473
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
You need to try "The Shake Weight".

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/imageBank/cache/w/Win-a-Shake-Weight-and-Tone.jpg_e_f3a7c2adba52315d6ab61b83a2cd478e.jpg

kiteboard
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
You need to try "The Shake Weight".

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/imageBank/cache/w/Win-a-Shake-Weight-and-Tone.jpg_e_f3a7c2adba52315d6ab61b83a2cd478e.jpg

nice pic there.

kiteboard
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
And to be specific, these are the ones i typically deal with.

If these are your problems daily, you need a couple MRI's, a full time physio, and a chill pill.

All I've had at one time or another and many more. Tough blue collar high injury job, and high hard hitting tennis.

T Woody
02-09-2010, 04:17 PM

T Woody
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
My theory is, the people most likely to be nasty on these boards, are exactly the same people who would never say the same in person, due to the slight possibility, that the person they are insulting, may actually retaliate somehow. So it's the coward, who is most prone to insult via keyboard. It's the only way he can feel powerful, by swinging a virtual sledge hammer, rather than try to build something positive. Always easier to destroy than it is to build, and that's why negativity is so commonplace here, due to the prevalence of destroyers vs the builders.

tennytive is not 'swinging a virtual sledgehammer'. the dude is giving you crap. because you talked about chi energy curing a TORN hamstring and back in days on another thread then you post here asking what to do about all manner of injuries (at least I think that's what you were asking). You don't see the irony at least a teenie bit?

SlapShot
02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
tennytive is not 'swinging a virtual sledgehammer'. the dude is giving you crap. because you talked about chi energy curing a TORN hamstring and back in days on another thread then you post here asking what to do about all manner of injuries (at least I think that's what you were asking). You don't see the irony at least a teenie bit?

I'm convinced that our buddy here with the tender hamstrings and tender heartstrings is pulling our legs just a wee bit.

Or he's a REALLY overenthusiastic poster with little to no filter on the stream of consiousness.

bad_call
02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
stretch, IPAs and aspirin. if it still hurts, repeat #2.

LeeD
02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Let's see.... IBU for...
Still sprained high left ankle, from Sept '08, yes '08.
Base of ring finger left hand, back of wrist tendon pain.
Left hip tries to pop out of joint most cold days.
Right hip feels loosey goosey on hot days.
Left rotator gets stiff, and sleeping with arms over my head the best.
Right arm doesn't straighten, so toss is sometimes dicey on serves.
Flat feet.
5'11" and 145 lbs.
All this, plus I"m a week from 61.....:oops:

r2473
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Happy birthday.

And remember, the best gift is good health :)

LeeD
02-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Danks, I'll try to remember and appreciate that!
We just love to list the # of injuries we have to play thru, as an old fart, but I"m sure there's plenty with longer and more extensive listings.
I still remember a bud of mine 30 years ago, a solid C or 3.5, who not only had polio as a kid (one leg easily 2" shorter than the other), but was burdenned by being 5'5" tall and really slow....and very poor.
He's now a successful businessman, makes good $$$$, nice condo near McLarenPark, great wife, and plays about 4.0 singles!

ALten1
02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I am a fairly tall guy. My lower back gives me fits after a good tennis match(doubles mostly). I imagine is comes from bending down at the net. Any ideas how to help lower back pain?

aimr75
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
ice bath ;)

kiteboard
02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I am a fairly tall guy. My lower back gives me fits after a good tennis match(doubles mostly). I imagine is comes from bending down at the net. Any ideas how to help lower back pain?

Lay out in a hot bath, and bend over with your chest on your legs, and tighten your abdomen and "shove" extremely hard towards your lower back pain area, for a few sec, or so that your blood pressure goes through the roof, and do ten reps ea. Then do the cat and the cow, alternating arching your back up and shove, and then down and shove, back against the tub, so that the hot bath water becomes very agitated, for ten reps, and then repeat the abdomen pressure with chest on legs, for another ten reps, 30 alternating reps ea., for 15 min. bath., and it will be gone. Am bath before work also works good. Follow directions and it will be gone. How to get rid of lower back pain, back injury, ease back pain, technique to ease back pain, lower back pain.

kiteboard
02-10-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm convinced that our buddy here with the tender hamstrings and tender heartstrings is pulling our legs just a wee bit.

Or he's a REALLY overenthusiastic poster with little to no filter on the stream of consiousness.

I have a brutal blue collar job, with injury as part of the price of admission, and play tournys on top of it. Hit hard, play hard, practice hard, with like types. Had many (10) broken bones, and many (12) muscle pulls, and usually did nothing to treat anything. Even cast my own broken wrist once, to save a doc bill, and now I know better, than to let my ripped up body, just get worse, without any ice/heat or chi treatments. So no, I am not pulling anyones' proverb, or leg. Had a 4:36 mile once, and a 2:05 half mile, and try that sometime, and see if you don't get hurt. Millions of guys out there, just letting their injuries ruin their sport/fun, or quit entirely, due to the pain, and it's the cost of playing hard, we are going to rip something up, eventually, esp. if on a higher level of comp./play/practice.

charliefedererer
02-10-2010, 07:23 AM

First, get examined medically. Backs are nothing to fool around with.

But "bad backs" are the second most common reason adults seek medical attention, a leading cause of missed work. And thankfully most aren't the "serious" problems of bulging discs, spinal stenosis, etc. The vast majority are due to weak muscles that have to support us erect during the whole day. (Humans are the only animal our size that spend the whole day erect. And most are shocked at how long some back muscles are, the stresses they support, and the forces we subject them to in daily living activities, never mind serve and volley tennis.)

Yet, despite the widespread notariety of bad backs, and their implications, too few take the precautionary steps to keep their backs in shape.

Tennis is great to help keep you in shape, but playing tennis (correctly) puts huge stresses on your back.

If it turns out your back problem is not a "serious" one, then you owe it to yourself to get into a fitness regimen that will strengthen your back muscles. This should include at least crunches, but if you play tennis seriously, you need to be doing more (I like twisting sit ups on an inclined sit up bench as an exercise, but beware that you do not want to be doing this if you have a serious structural issue in your back).

The body responds amazingly well to exercise. There are all sorts of sham products and claims out there for nutritional supplements and fancy remedies. But you may only 5 minutes a day, three days a week away from a healthy back through exercise.

Good luck!

charliefedererer
02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Let's see.... IBU for...
Still sprained high left ankle, from Sept '08, yes '08.
Base of ring finger left hand, back of wrist tendon pain.
Left hip tries to pop out of joint most cold days.
Right hip feels loosey goosey on hot days.
Left rotator gets stiff, and sleeping with arms over my head the best.
Right arm doesn't straighten, so toss is sometimes dicey on serves.
Flat feet.
5'11" and 145 lbs.

Happy Birthday!

It's a good thing your ingenuity puts you in the Benjamin Button mode of only getting younger as the years pass.

charliefedererer
02-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I have a brutal blue collar job, with injury as part of the price of admission, and play tournys on top of it. Hit hard, play hard, practice hard, with like types. Had many (10) broken bones, and many (12) muscle pulls, and usually did nothing to treat anything. Even cast my own broken wrist once, to save a doc bill, and now I know better, than to let my ripped up body, just get worse, without any ice/heat or chi treatments. So no, I am not pulling anyones' proverb, or leg. Had a 4:36 mile once, and a 2:05 half mile, and try that sometime, and see if you don't get hurt. Millions of guys out there, just letting their injuries ruin their sport/fun, or quit entirely, due to the pain, and it's the cost of playing hard, we are going to rip something up, eventually, esp. if on a higher level of comp./play/practice.

I don't think you are going to find anything better than a good dynamic warmup routine at the start of the day, or whenever you are feeling stiff, to relieve the aches and pains. Isn't it amazing that as sore as one can feel, once our muscles and joints are warmed up that we feel better?

But please be clever enough to incorporate some tiny bit of rest into your routines. Our bodies are a machine that will break down without some concessions to proper maintenance. Even thought the answer for improvement is usually more work, there is a place for mending before complete breakdown and extensive lost time at work and on court. It just can be hard to figure the place for rest and not feel like your just making an excuse to be lazy if you are driven (and you certainly are driven).

One thing is for sure, you are not going to have trouble sleeping at night, both from the exhaustion from the hard work, or from lying awake wondering if you are putting out enough effort. A good night's sleep is a great reward, not nearly enough highly regarded.

T Woody
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Lay out in a hot bath, and bend over with your chest on your legs, and tighten your abdomen and "shove" extremely hard towards your lower back pain area, for a few sec, or so that your blood pressure goes through the roof, and do ten reps ea.

You're telling a guy with a bad lower back to shove extremely hard for reps while his lordotic spine is in extreme flexion?

Alten - I'm tall myself and have had some similar back issues. I've found doing dedicated strength work on the front and side abs have helped a lot for stabilization in tennis. The most effective exercises i've used are Russian twists with a barbell, ab rollouts, and hanging leg raises. And it's important to work the low back in isometric extension with deadlifts and some squatting. But definitely see a doc if it feels like nerve pain.

kiteboard
02-10-2010, 08:27 AM
You're telling a guy with a bad lower back to shove extremely hard for reps while his lordotic spine is in extreme flexion?

Alten - I'm tall myself and have had some similar back issues. I've found doing dedicated strength work on the front and side abs have helped a lot for stabilization in tennis. The most effective exercises i've used are Russian twists with a barbell, ab rollouts, and hanging leg raises. And it's important to work the low back in isometric extension with deadlifts and some squatting. But definitely see a doc if it feels like nerve pain.

lordosis /lor·do·sis/ (lor-do´sis)
1. the anterior concavity in the curvature of the lumbar and cervical spine as viewed from the side.
2. abnormal increase in this curvature.

He didn't say his spine was abnormal, he just said his back has some pain issues. Cat and cow are rehab rec. by many physical therapists, and it works from my own exp., to remove the pain quickly, if dir. are followed.

r2473
02-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Had a 4:36 mile once, and a 2:05 half mile, and try that sometime, and see if you don't get hurt.

Why would you need to get hurt to run "mediocre" high school times?

T Woody
02-10-2010, 09:45 AM
lordosis /lor·do·sis/ (lor-do´sis)
1. the anterior concavity in the curvature of the lumbar and cervical spine as viewed from the side.
2. abnormal increase in this curvature.

He didn't say his spine was abnormal, he just said his back has some pain issues. Cat and cow are rehab rec. by many physical therapists, and it works from my own exp., to remove the pain quickly, if dir. are followed.

I didn't say he had lordosis, I was referring to the lordotic curve of the lumbar spine (the lower back), as opposed to the thoracic spine (upper back), but thanks for getting the definition for me off dictionary.com. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

kiteboard
02-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Why would you need to get hurt to run "mediocre" high school times?

I didn't think those times were mediocre. I would bet that you never were able to beat that time. Time yourself in a mile and see how you do, I dare you.

ALten1
02-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I have always lifted heavy weights but always neglected my abs. I agree with several post on here that I should start doing ab work. Thanks again for the different methods posted here. If this thread is still up I will update what has helped, if anything.

Last year it gave out on me for a couple of minutes...a first for me, maybe old age is catching up.

r2473
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I didn't think those times were mediocre. I would bet that you never were able to beat that time. Time yourself in a mile and see how you do, I dare you.

12-15 years ago I could.

Your 1/2 mile time isn't even mediocre. 2:05 wouldn't even have taken first in the cow town I grew up in, in small town Iowa (population 8,000).

I had a workout where I would run 5 X 1-mile in 5:00 min with 400-meter jog recovery. The first of these miles I often did around 4:45. I wasn't a miler, so I'm not really sure how fast I could do one. I suspect around 4:30-ish. (I probablly would have gotten lapped :)).

Check out the times high-schoolers run. I didn't say your times are bad, just not that great (mediocre).

My point is, those aren't the kind of elite times where you should need long recovery periods or expect injuries. They are just decent times for a not so serious runner.

ALten1
02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey I could do three miles in 18 minutes. Not bad for a 240+lbs fata**!

kiteboard
02-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey I could do three miles in 18 minutes. Not bad for a 240+lbs fata**!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F3ovb2kZ9Q Watch this video.

The_Steak
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Physical pain, after or during practice. How do you deal, love it or hate it? Legs aching, back blazing, shoulder throbbing, ankle bursting, calf raging, elbow on fire, groin aching, hamstring screaming, knee swollen, wrist broken at the hamate, biceps torn, rotator knifed, etc. How do you deal with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F3ovb2kZ9Q

Thanks for promoting my post?

kiteboard
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks for promoting my post?

It is your post, the link credit is due to you.