PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet for Drop Shots

Watusi
02-23-2004, 07:39 AM
In your opinion which racquet is the best for drop shots?

Rabbit
02-23-2004, 07:49 AM
I would probably opt for a Kramer Autograph.

python
02-23-2004, 08:23 AM
dense stringbeds give you more pinpoint control...i think they're harder to generate spin with, but the drop shot is largely a 'feel' type of shot anyway, and I believe you get more feel with an 18x20 pattern.

Rabbit
02-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Or possibly the Tony Trabert C-6 Graphite

JAYDOG THE RDX ATHLETE
02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
prestige classic 600

Rabbit
02-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Then again, the elongated face of the Ergonom (available here at TW) would really allow for backspin on the ball.

kreative
02-23-2004, 10:52 AM
babolat pure drive. it's definitely not easy to perform drop shots w/ this racquet, but it's the best b/c no one would ever expect a shot like that to come off of the pd. As the drop shot is best hit as a disguise/unexpected shot, this makes the pd the perfect culprit.

jayserinos99
02-23-2004, 10:58 AM
I think it's all relative to how much feel a person has with the racquet, so it wouldn't matter if it was a PC600 or a Hammer IMO.

Russiadude
02-23-2004, 11:42 AM
I think the HPS 6.1 is fairly good at drops. While there is a little less feel in the 16 x 18 pattern the backspin is definitely there.

Ronaldo
02-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Any racquet but the one Joachim, TheGeneticJackhammer Johansson uses.

Momo
02-23-2004, 01:29 PM
More flexy racquets. I drop shot all the time with both my POG OS and ROK. My hitting partner hates me for it, but it helps keep him slim and trim from all that running :)

Thunnus
02-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Head Prestige series rackets are great for drop shots. Other true players rackets like POG work great too, though I think Prestige rackets are better for this shot because of the dense string pattern from my experience. The problem with these rackets is that it is difficult to generate a lot of topspin to set up your opponent, unless you have super fast swing. Likewise, PDs are good for keeping your opponents back, but I could not hit good droppers to save my life with those. They were great for executing the sitters...

Michael Musok
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
C10 Pro - Great soft touch and feel makes drop shots seem easier than with most other racquets.

vxb
02-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Wilson PS 6.1 and surprisingly Prince Bandit MP

NoBadMojo
02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Any thin beamed flexy frame strung w. gut.

WYK
02-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Power Beam Pro.

WYK

louis netman
02-23-2004, 10:58 PM
yes, agreed...the key to "good" mojo with the drop shot is thin beam, flexy, and gut!!!

Steve Huff
02-24-2004, 09:13 AM
I went to my pro the other day for a lesson. I said, "I want to build my game around the 'drop shot'." We worked on it for an hour. I know this is what I was meant to do in tennis--hit drop shots. So, I went to the tennis shop. Like all good shops, their rackets were catagorized--BEST SERVE RACKETS, BEST BACKHAND SLICE RACKETS, BEST FOREHAND TOPSPIN RACKETS.... Finally, I got to my section--BEST DROPSHOT RACKETS. The choices were enormous. I asked if I could demo 5 or 6 of them. He said I could only take 3 at a time. This is gonna take weeks, I thought, with all these "drop shot" rackets. Oh well, I report back when I get to a midway point. Keep on testing guys. If you can take out more than 3 per day, I'm sure you'll find the perfect drop shot racket before I do. Good luck.

joe sch
02-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Wouldnt know since I never tried one :lol:

tarheelbornjohn
02-26-2004, 09:47 AM
When my playing partner uses more than 3 or 4 drops shots in a set I begin to try them too. However, when I try them my racquet always slips out of my hand and I try to over swing sending the racquet straight at him for some reason. *S*

Seriously, I find the PS 6.1 MP stretch a good one for a drop volley. The vokl line for drop shots. I don't use the vokl any more since I only try one or two droppers in a match and there are so many other shots hit more frequently.

jmckinney
02-26-2004, 10:29 AM
The racket makes no difference, a person has to have soft hands and great feel to hit a great drop shot. Anyone who thinks the racket makes the difference or that some rackets are designed for "best drop shot" are imbeciles or just can't play tennis.

@wright
02-26-2004, 10:48 AM
mckinney, so you're saying a wilson sledgehammer 2.0 is just as good for droppers as an estusa power beam pro? I think it's true if you're talking about some racquets with relatively similar specs, but you can't honestly say I could hand you ANY racquet ever produced and your shot would be exactly the same.

jmckinney
02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
maybe not exactly the same but you could give me any racket and I will perform a drop shot. I understand what you are saying, some rackets are less powerful and make it easier but you cannot go and by a "drop shot racket". There are some players who just cannot hit a drop shot no matter what racket you hand them. It is the player much more than the racket, is my point.

@wright
02-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Point taken, a drop shot comes from hours on the court, not a store.

equinox
07-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Prince tricomp, most flexible frame, so soft.

Rhinosaur
07-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Federer seems to do pretty well with his Wilson, but like said before, it's more technique/when you use it than the racquet.

MCN
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
The Volkl C10 Pro was the best drop shot racquet I ever used. Period.

MesQueUnClub
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
babolat pure drive. it's definitely not easy to perform drop shots w/ this racquet, but it's the best b/c no one would ever expect a shot like that to come off of the pd. As the drop shot is best hit as a disguise/unexpected shot, this makes the pd the perfect culprit.

The only drawback to this argument is when people are playing a match, they don't worry too much about the racquet the other person is holding. I mean, just b'cos the guy I am playing against is using a PD, I am not going to assume, they will not play a drop shot as it's hard to hit one with the PD.

One of my friends who plays with PD uses the dropshot and slice more often than most people I played against and he's good at it too and it works for him b'cos he hits with so much top spin to push you back that his drop shots are effective. He could do the exact same thing with his cheap 9 ounce prince he carries around as his second backup.