PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt fighting against the officials again

Haka Boy
04-29-2005, 09:55 PM
While he has been sidelined with this injury he has managed to do a walk in role on his fiancée soapie series. Naturally due to her popularity it was given some headlines and it appeared he walked without any obvious injuries.

Also reported while out of the tour due to the injury the couple did manage to buy a multi-million mansion together but I'm sure the Hewitt camp will be able to explain all.

Hewitt to fight Miami fine
Sportal

World No.2 Lleyton Hewitt has elected to appeal a fine of $51,000 issued after he withdrew from last month’s Miami Masters due to a foot injury.

Hewitt was forced to withdraw from the tournament after it was decided he required surgery on the injury, which had rendered him almost unable to walk.

The 24-year-old was struggling with severe pain in his foot during the preceding Indian Wells tournament and was almost forced to pull out of the final, which he lost to Roger Federer, 6-2 6-4 6-4.

While Hewitt told officials he would not be able to play the event soon after losing the final, his withdrawal came after the Miami deadline had lapsed.

The South Australian was fined $25,500 for the scratching and handed a further $25,500 penalty for pulling out as a seeded competitor.

The Hewitt camp hopes the fine will be revoked, with the player reportedly submitting evidence to ATP chief executive Mark Miles detailing the foot injury.

Hewitt has resumed full training but is unlikely to be ready for Monday's start to the Rome Masters and is more likely to return for the Hamburg Masters the following week in preparation for the French Open from May 23.

The Australian has been confirmed as a certain starter for the Stella Artois Championships at Queen's Club in London from June 7, ahead of Wimbledon.

Jill
04-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Fines are automatic per the ATP rules if a player withdraws and doesn't get checked out by the tourney doctor. Leave it to the Aussie press to actually make a story out of this lmao

Haka Boy
04-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Leave it to the Aussie press to actually make a story out of this lmao
So according to you the Aussie press are not up to your par in balanced and worthy news?? Did you ever think to consider this article might have something to do with Hewitt being AUSTRALIAN and being reported on an AUSTRALIAN website? Shame it didn’t live up to your expectations. Can I ask you what part of the world you live in???
As you state “leave it to the Aussie press to make a story out of this” well at least I can assure you the Aussie press are fair minded when it comes to tennis players regardless of their nationality.

I'm definitely not a Hewitt fan but in these parts we receive news of all players in the world, it doesn’t matter if their Australian or not, thr factor of nationality doesn’t come into our view of sports. The Australian people and press are VERY fair minded when it comes to tennis players regardless or their nationality.

They actually are able to give an unbiased view, coverage and support regardless if they are Australian. You just have to watch the media coverage during the Australian Open to realize that fact!

Obviously you don’t know anything about Australia being a fair nation.

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Possibly Jill is confusing the Australian press with the reputation of the British media.

Haka Boy, I would call it a pretty standard report with emphasis on the fine at the beginning of the story just to catch the eye. Still, there's no malice in it and, surprisingly, nothing in there about his extra curricular activities. Does that mean it came from 'The Australian', the 'Sydney Morning Herald' or 'The Age'? Actually, what I find funny is that you can tell its not British as there are too few adjectives and no mention of his fiancee but you can also see its not an American piece as they actually mentioned that he is South Australian not just generically Australian.

Jill
04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
uh, way to make a mountain out of a molehill. All I'm saying is that in most countries a player being fined and appealing that fine for pulling out of a tennis tourney would not be newsworthy. Are you trying to deny that Hewitt gets a ton of attention in the Aussie press, even to the point of being overboard sometimes? oooooookay! The Aussie press has written completely frivolous and unnecessary stories where Hewitt (and other Aussie tennis players, too, for that matter) is concerned before, this is just another example. He pulled out of a tourney, got an automatic fine, and he'll appeal it. What's the story? This is not "news" in my book. You are free to disagree, but you can also respect my opinion.

oh, and I'm a political scientist, I know the difference between England and Australia and I also know what free, fair, and unbiased press reporting is, thankyouverymuch.

robbie_dademo
04-30-2005, 06:54 PM
he should be fighting it as well... he had no chance to withdraw in the set time and was clearly injured badly...

poor decision by the organisers to fine him.. very harsh.

Marius_Hancu
05-01-2005, 05:16 PM
As they say: if not on courts, better be in courts:-)

equinox
05-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Hope he doesn't hurt himself at the logies or after parties.

Camilio Pascual
05-02-2005, 04:41 AM
The Australian people and press are VERY fair minded when it comes to tennis players regardless or their nationality.

They actually are able to give an unbiased view, coverage and support regardless if they are Australian.

Agree with the first part wholeheartedly, Aussies are wide open to different people and fair minded.

Disagree with the second part, Aussies are not robots or automatons, they are humans and have biases and emotions just like everybody else. You do them a disservice to describe them as unbiased, that's not being human.