PDA

View Full Version : How many racquets should a 3.0-3.5 Player have?

montx
04-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Question is in the title. Is there some optimum # of racquets a player should carry at this level? Should a player carry the same racquet or vary the selection until he finds his niche? OR does one's niche change with time?

Kindly advise on all levels, thanks and share your experiences.

wshhmm
04-29-2005, 10:26 PM
3 is enough.

Dopke
04-29-2005, 10:27 PM
2-3. But I mean, for any player of whatever skill. 2-4 should be enough.

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 04:10 AM
If you're playing in tournaments then it's a good idea to have 2 of the same kind. But, if you're just playing once a week then you honestly don't need more than 1 racquet. If you're playing more frequently then 2 would be more than sufficient. Regardless, its not your standard that matters, its the amount of tennis you play.

Of course it's better to just use the one model. If you chop and change you run the risk of messing up your timing, not to mention that each racquet has a different 'feel'.

Your needs may change with time but that all depends on how your game develops and how far you progress. Your playing needs today wont necessarily be your playing needs tomorrow but its impossible to tell.

Coda
04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
andrew is right depends on how much you play and how often you break a string...definetly at least 2 for serious competition. They should be the same racket as well.

ffrpg
04-30-2005, 10:01 AM
2-3 is about right. It really does depend if you are a string breaker or not. Yes, carry the same racquet in your bag. If you aren't a string breaker (even if you are), it never hurts to have racquets strung at different tensions.

Andy Hewitt
04-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Definately 1.

Nikeman0092
04-30-2005, 03:25 PM
2 is probably the most you need. I am a 4.5 player and I only carry 2. I also break strings and I havn't run into a problem yet but I also string my own racquets and I can string it the same night I break it.

USCfan
04-30-2005, 03:51 PM
2 is all you really need.

hummer23
04-30-2005, 04:05 PM
indeed, if its a status thing, you want to look good when you unzip that bag, then i gess 3 is cool to have, but for practical reason, 2 is quite enough. putthe cash towad strings or something else you may need.

GrahamIsSuper
04-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I was playing a men's open using 3 diablo mids and broke all the strings the same match, and had to use the place's machine to restring them, as I only had like $10 on me.

It was just a freak thing though, 3 is almost always a surplus.

MChong
04-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Definately 1.

I'm going to have to agree with Andy Hewitt here; you will definitely need one, but I suggest you get more than one - around two or three. I currently have two of the same stick, and it suits me fine. It kind of comes down to how often you break strings.

Jon Hampton
04-30-2005, 04:59 PM
2 rackets of the same make is wise....3 rackets of the same make is close to godliness :) Really depends on how serious you are with your game, or if you're a string breaker. If you only play 2-3 days a week, you could get away with one racket even, though if you only have one, it's a good idea before special tournaments to get it freshly restrung. If you are a stringbreaker, two is a must. Three is a good idea if you're really competetive and want to have a third racket at a different tension in case your opponent doesn't supply his own power or you're opponent is a power hitter or the surface that you're playing on that day requires a different tension than normal.

USCfan
04-30-2005, 05:08 PM
indeed, if its a status thing, you want to look good when you unzip that bag, then i gess 3 is cool to have, but for practical reason, 2 is quite enough. putthe cash towad strings or something else you may need.

Yeah, you look cool when you have a big bag full of racquets...but if you stink, you'll end up looking like a fool...

LoveThisGame
04-30-2005, 05:16 PM
An important factor is, if you have two racquets, how will you use them.

There is the two-bin inventory scenario, where you play with one until string breaks or it deadens and then you start playing with the second. Of course, if you then get the first restrung soon, it will lose tension on its own in your bag. And if you don't restring right away, will you remember to do so in time?

If you use both racquets about equally, then they are likely to break strings or deaden at around the same time, so you may need three.

Another issue is whether you tension the same and use the same string. For example, you might have one for hard courts at a certain tension and one for clay or Har-Tru at a slightly lower tension because you need to generate more power on your own.

Again another issue is when you have different racquets. One might be for doubles (perhaps more powerful for passing shots) and one for singles.

There's all sorts of possibilities!!!

Redflea
04-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Nice summary, LoveThisGame...

montx
04-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Seems like there is some consensus on at least two if you break the string, and different tension if you require some sort of change, so POSSIBLY 3.

And a change of racquet is another option. This might require some thought on my part on your suggestions. Thanks for the resposnses all.

esrb
05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Different stick for doubles and singles?? If you are an all court player, you should not have problem.....

montx
05-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I am a baseliner but so far I seemed to get pulled up to the net and no man's land a fair bit

Coda
05-01-2005, 01:15 PM
keep the ball deep and you shouldn't have that problem

LoveThisGame
05-01-2005, 07:17 PM
esrb,

different frames for singles than doubles: yes, it can depend on several things ...

If your singles frame is not particularly heavy, volleying in fast doubles is more effective with more weight. Doubles passing shots need both strong pace and precision because of the smaller windows; I like a heavier frame for doubles ... you don't have to swing hard and you can use a more controlled swing. If it's a windy day, the heavy racquet helps me in strong doubles. On soft courts, you need to generate more power on strokes and a heavier racquet helps in doubles.

I play on both hard courts and red clay. These are my opinions. If yours vary, fine.

Steve Huff
05-01-2005, 10:12 PM
I'd say 2. That way, when you hit with your woman, she can borrow yours

equinox
05-02-2005, 12:05 AM
2-3 racquets should be enough.

montx
05-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Lot of good comments

mido
05-03-2005, 03:38 PM
One, max 2 if you play tournaments.

LoveThisGame
05-03-2005, 07:26 PM
I use my frames about equally. Weekend tournaments, where you play multiple matches in a day (particularly when you play doubles also) can be a problem. I recall at least two times when I broke strings in two racquets in one day.

The first time led me to add a third frame. The second time led me into stringing years ago. I played a weekend tournament which didn't complete that weekend. The finals were the following Saturday. That Wednesday I broke strings in two frames. The club failed in re-stringing them--they weren't sure of their calibration (they had but a night clerk with little instruction doing the stringing, btw). So I had to go into the match with one frame. I won the first set and was in control in the second when an overhead broke strings.

I went to the front desk and grabbed a demo. It must have been the worst strung racquet ever. I tried to extend points just to attempt to get a feel for it. I lost that set and finally squeaked out a third set win. I came away determined never to let that situation rise ever again.