PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Head?

AngeloDS
04-30-2005, 12:54 AM
What's a fairly priced racquet that has a pretty small head and a fairly low string tension? I'm trying to up my control and power game, and my racquet isn't cutting it.

I can't concentrate my energy too well, and a lot of it is wasted. Which really sucks, but it doesn't tire me.

With the racquet I have now, I max out at around 100 mph on my serves. I know I can definately get above that with a better racquet, because I have with my friends Wilson racquet which has a smaller head.

My forehands and backhands are pretty accurate, within a 4-5" spot. I can place it, but it lacks the topspin and speed for how hard and fast I'm swinging my racquet.

And I'm planning to do a bunch of junior, and division tournaments over the summer before college so I can atleast get prepped for college or intermurals in college.

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 01:05 AM
If you increase control you lower power and vice versa. A smaller headed racquet wont increase control but it will lower power. The two aren't necessarily connected. An example of that is the old, old Wilson T2000 which had a very small 'face' (was it a little smaller than a standard wood?) but was criticised for lacking control.

Also, if you lower string tension and increase power you wont increase control. If you do that then the only way to harness the power is for you to learn how to control your racquet at a lower tension. So control isn't a product of the racquet or the strings its a product of technique and application.

You dont mention what racquet you use but it might be helpful for other posters to know.

Marius_Hancu
04-30-2005, 02:53 AM
I guess Wilson ProStaff 6.0 85 is has pretty much the smallest head currently available: 85sqin.

Not a very powerful racket though, even if relatively heavy, because it's not too stiff. But it can used for powerful serving (Sampras used it) if you have the technique and power.

AndrewD
04-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Marius,

that's interesting to hear - that the PS 6.0 85 isn't a stiff frame. I see it has a rating of 66 so I would have thought that qualified it as 'stiff'. Does it play more flexible/softer than its rating?

AngeloDS
04-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Hmmm, for some reason whenever I use my friends Wislon racquet whenever I don't have mine. I seem to hit a lot more fluidly and a lot better. I can right now max out at around 100 MPH on my racquet. I couldn't get it to go any higher... I was testing my service speed about a week ago. I couldn't get it to go past 100 mph no matter what I did.

n Six-One 95", n Six-One 95 18x20 it's one of these racquets not sure exactly which one. But I hit so much more fluidly, and everything is improved with least amount of effort. When I swithed to a one-handed slice and I hit the ball about 2 arms length out. It was perfectly and didn't need a lot of effort. The ball came fairly slow, put m racquet out there and hit it perfectly in the corners of the service box and had it pretty low to the net.

I use a Head TI-S6. The head is pretty big. But I don't feel my energy is being concetrated that well. Even when I hit it in the sweet spot. I feel for how hard I'm hitting it and how fast I'm swinging and all the momentum I'm using it should be doing a lot more :\. It feels wasted.

nViATi
04-30-2005, 07:52 AM
try the Wilson Prostaff Tour 95. only $99

hummer23
04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
i have an 85, i find it quite stiff. its harsh and not forginving, but im not complaning. its a tough fraem to paly with for sure, but great on servesa dns vollies. groudies are realyl just a transition from the serve to the net if you play with that frame. it dont find it soft by any means, unless you hit the sweetspot, then it feels good.