PDA

View Full Version : playing too much .. performance sinking?

monkeyisland90
02-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Ok, so i've been playing lot of tennis the past 5-6 months .. About 4-5 times a week and most of them have been long intense matches... and i was thinking that playing more matches etc would help you develop and make you more aware and focus but seems that it's taking a toll and my interest level, drive and focus is dwindling... I read an article in tennis magazine that playing lot can do just that ... Problem is i've been playing so much it's hard for me to say no and become like some sort of addiction like crack... even if it seems to have poor performance, i'm grinding it out and "WINNING UGLY" and i really don't like that since i'm making bad habits and pushing shots more then going all out... I've been playing guitar and reading to stay away from tennis but it seems to always be in my mind and want to go out and hit despite not performing up to par or enjoying it as i should be... any suggestions? I think part of the reason also is that we have a serious usta team and the fact that i can't stand still and do nothing... Anyone else have same problem playing a lot and see performance, interest, and drive go down..... and continue to play? i wonder if it's an ego thing :)

T Woody
02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok, so i've been playing lot of tennis the past 5-6 months .. About 4-5 times a week and most of them have been long intense matches... and i was thinking that playing more matches etc would help you develop and make you more aware and focus but seems that it's taking a toll and my interest level, drive and focus is dwindling... I read an article in tennis magazine that playing lot can do just that ... Problem is i've been playing so much it's hard for me to say no and become like some sort of addiction like crack... even if it seems to have poor performance, i'm grinding it out and "WINNING UGLY" and i really don't like that since i'm making bad habits and pushing shots more then going all out... I've been playing guitar and reading to stay away from tennis but it seems to always be in my mind and want to go out and hit despite not performing up to par or enjoying it as i should be... any suggestions? I think part of the reason also is that we have a serious usta team and the fact that i can't stand still and do nothing... Anyone else have same problem playing a lot and see performance, interest, and drive go down..... and continue to play? i wonder if it's an ego thing :)

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to do this a lot. The turning point for me came when I was grinding out this really tough match last year and basically pushing every point trying not to make a mistake. I ended up winning in a third set breaker, but despite that, felt like absolute crap after the match. I realized I had been unhappy, stressed out, and ****ed off at myself the whole time and really didn't have any fun winning that match.

At that point, I made a decision to start relaxing and worry less about the final score and more about enjoying the type of tennis I played. I started hitting the ball a lot harder and going for a lot more. I made a ton of mistakes at first and lost some matches because of it, but it's made me a much better player in the long run. It's kind of changed my mindset on the court too. Whenever I pushed, my focus was always on not making a mistake. Now my focus is on attacking and winning the point rather than not losing the point if that makes sense. A lot more enjoyable to play like that.

lethalphorce
02-10-2010, 10:20 AM
At that point, I made a decision to start relaxing and worry less about the final score and more about enjoying the type of tennis I played.

^^very good advice imo

Ripper014
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Been there ended up quitting tennis after living with it for about 5 years...

What I have learned is that you do not really need to put in all that court time. What is important is that the court time I put in be quality time... To get the most out of myself I found that I needed balance in life... so that when I did come back to the court I could be 100% focused.

PushyPushster
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
The turning point for me came when I was grinding out this really tough match last year and basically pushing every point trying not to make a mistake. I ended up winning in a third set breaker, but despite that, felt like absolute crap after the match.

Inconceivable! What kind of sick individual are you?

beernutz
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I wish I could relate but my problem lately is just the opposite--not playing nearly enough.

Your post though does make me appreciate the effort most pro players have to put forth day in and day out to improve or stay at the top of their game.

Ripper014
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I wish I could relate but my problem lately is just the opposite--not playing nearly enough.

Your post though does make me appreciate the effort most pro players have to put forth day in and day out to improve or stay at the top of their game.

True but this is their job...

fruitytennis1
02-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Now i would give anything to play that much..Other than $$ which would solve my problem anyways

Edward DFW
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I can't talk about match play because my experience there is lacking but if you aren't having fun that is not good! I had the same problem on and off for a while. I would put a lot of pressure on myself to get certain results and it lead to me playing badly, or too conservatively. There were times where I won and felt like crap because I was benefiting from my opponent breaking down rather than anything I was doing. There were times where I would completely lose all enjoyment. I used to try to take away at least 1 good memory from each time I played and focus on that, but for a while I started to forget about that and be really negative. I was messing myself up.

Anyway, I had to remind myself that playing is a privilege and that I am paying money to do so... supposedly because this is something I love to do. One day I just realized that while I have pretty good strokes I am far from being good enough that I should have any expectations for myself other than to:
1) Have fun
2) Stay loose
3) Remain light on my feet
4) React to my opponents ball as soon as it comes off the racquet
5) Stay aggressive but sensible (no forcing thimgs, take the opportunities as they come)
6) Avoid playing too tight
7) Use my instincts and don't overthink things
8) Relax because I have plenty of time to get to the ball (in most cases anyway)

Those are just my goals... I don't reach them every time I play (sometimes its not even close) but since I changed my perspective I am having more fun and playing better tennis. And I can say that without any fear now. Before it seemed like any success or other people complimenting me / better players wanting to exchange numbers to hit with me after drills that I played really well at would screw me up for weeks because they kept making me think that I had improved to the point where I should have ridiculous expectations for myself.

You love tennis, if you didn't you wouldn't play as much as you do. So just try to focus on having a good time and playing the way you want to play without worrying about the results.

MayDay
02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Buy an Xbox 360 or upgrade your PC. Buy MassEffect 1 and 2. Sink 120 hours into the game. Alternatively, buy WoW and sink your life.

Buy 2 nice HD camcorder, video tape your tennis buddies' games from different perspectives, learn to use video editing software, become a tennis video producer and do it for different local tournaments.

anantak2k
02-12-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm glad that I am not the only tennis addict out there. I am pushing my body way too much lately. The body is saying no but the mind keeps wanting more. I have gotten all these knee problems from playing so much on hardcourts. Normally I get some rest during the winter and let my body heal (its costs an arm and a leg to play indoor tennis in NYC) but this time around, I am still playing indoors at my college. So I have gotten no rest at all and I can't stop playing. My knees are all messed up, my back is messed up and worst of all I have a tennis elbow to top it all off.

I have a habit of hmm... I would not really call it choking but more of a toying around with my opponent whenever I have a huge lead until I let them back in the match on even terms. Then I start playing well again but lately my elbow is pretty messed up and I am literally forced to slice all my forehands back. Of course that has not stopped me from playing. I keep telling myself I need to take a month off but its just not happening.

Normally I am a very aggressive baseliner who takes the ball on the rise and take time away from my opponents. But lately, I am pushing a lot but its still a lot of fun to watch your opponents get frustrated like hell when you keep bringing back those shots that they think/feel should've been winners.

Geezer Guy
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Monkey - Maybe the problem is that you're playing too many serious matches. Try to schedule some fun hitting sessions when you don't really care who wins. Also, you can work on specific skills that you want to improve. It's always rewarding to see a stroke that you're not comfortable with become more consistent.

Steady Eddy
02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Mix gin with lemonade to consume at the crossovers. It helps you relax.

Bud
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM

I find when I play in excess of 4 days per week or 12 hours per week... I start to get a tinge of burnout in both mind and body.

TnTBigman
02-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Tennis fatigue anyone? I think I'm suffering with that right now. Practice goes great, but I make silly technical errors (no moving feet, stretching for the ball, etc etc) during league play. We'd still win, but like T Woody said I'm just not satisfied with how we won. In the past when I'd recgnize the signs of it, I'd take a week off. Don't even touch the racquet. Then I'm usually fresh the next week, enjoying tennis again.

mikeler
02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
I used to play tough matches 5 or 6 days a week before I had kid #1. There were definitely times I was happy when it rained so I could excuse myself from a match and take a 1 day break. I think the optimum time for me is 4 days a week. Right now, 3 days a week is all I can get out there. It's OK though, those 3 days I truly enjoy win or lose now.

Sakkijarvi
02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
If I go 6-7 days in a row, I'll get all 'tennis'd out'. But a one day layoff is usually enough to get recharged again. I play 3-5 days a week regularly. I have gotten away from doing any evening tennis if I play that morning though.

zacinnc78
02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
even federer takes weeks/months off sometimes (im sure he does some kind of practice to keep sharp maybe but not sure)