PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's new black string

Chezbeeno
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Does the code B-432C mean anything to anyone? There was a guy at my academy today who is a Babolat-sponsored professional (unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to catch his name) but anyways he had several Aeropro Drive GT's but he also had a whole bunch of boxes of a new black Babolat string that unfortunately doesn't have a name on the package (just says: B-432C 130/16). The guy said that it was a new string that Nadal switched to, and that this would be the first time anyone outside of the pro tour would get to use it. As far as I can tell it just "Babolat" on the string, nothing else. Now I don't know much about Nadal's new string but I'm pretty sure this stuff is legit, next time I break a string I'll give it a try, but does anybody know anything about this?

NickH87
02-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I remember someone saying is was his hurricane dyed black hahahahaha

ayuname
02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
People say it's the new RPM Blast.

Fedace
02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
It is the BEST ever string made by Babolat. Tsonga said, he can BITE the ball with this.......and he could never do that before.....lol

roger nadal
02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
ya its RPM Blast go to their site there's some info

decades
02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
i think it's PHT black. There is a thread about someone getting Nadal's AO racquet and he has pics.

Rafael Nadal Parera
02-14-2010, 04:34 AM
It's the new RPM Blast. Theres a video about it at Babolat's website. Rafa, Roddick, and Tsonga talk about the strings in the video. Nadal said he switched to the RPM Blast at the Australian Open but nobody really knows if he is really using the strings or just painted duralast :confused:. The strings are gonna be released in April. :D

NickC
02-14-2010, 06:29 AM
He's using the same string as usual, just painted black. Some dude here by the name of Fabfed won one of Nadal's frames and it came strung with Duralast that happened to be painted black.

raging
02-14-2010, 07:32 AM
He's using the same string as usual, just painted black. Some dude here by the name of Fabfed won one of Nadal's frames and it came strung with Duralast that happened to be painted black.

here we go again! till we get confirmation from rafa himself(with photos)...it looks like a lot of people still like the duralast theory.
Which is fine!:)

NickC
02-14-2010, 07:46 AM
here we go again! till we get confirmation from rafa himself(with photos)...it looks like a lot of people still like the duralast theory.
Which is fine!:)

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh329/FabFed/P1030532.jpg

Say what? That's Nadal's actual frame, used in the 4th round of this year's Australian Open.

the 10s n00b
02-14-2010, 10:18 AM
rpm blast.......

FEDERERNADAL13
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
The Babolat website and Rafa himself say that it's RPM Blast, so it must be RPM Blast.:)

Fedace
02-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Now Even Sam Querry has switched to this string. If it can provide Magic for the pros then i wonder what it can do for the Weekend Warriors like us...........??????

sixone90
02-14-2010, 04:48 PM
The stringing room said Nadal's yellow string was PHT, so it must've been PHT :D

TennisFan3
02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
The Babolat website and Rafa himself say that it's RPM Blast, so it must be RPM Blast.:)

Rafa never said it is RPM Blast. He just said that he's changed strings. To be sure, even that could be a reflection of what Babolat might have asked Rafa to tell Courier. Although I still believe Nadal, bcoz he's a honest guy.

That interview string question with Courier was obviously a setup. How many times have you seen Nadal going to the oncourt interview with the racquet in his hand? Also he was almost pushing the racquet towards Courier urging him on to ask the question.

I believe that the string is likely a custom dyed Duralast. However we will have no concrete information unless we hear from an official stringer who does Nadal's racquets. Also there is a possibility that he could indeed be trying a prototype at Abu Dhabi/Doha, but during the slam he shifted back to what he's always been using.

raging
02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh329/FabFed/P1030532.jpg

Say what? That's Nadal's actual frame, used in the 4th round of this year's Australian Open.

Nice photo Nick, saw it in the other thread, which incidentally was a great find from fabfed, unfortunately it doesn't really prove anything (except that Rafa uses a PJ!:) ).
What is printed on the string or on the packaging doesn't mean anything...it could be anything! But it does provoke discussion and that is all good. Thanks.

I was just stirring a bit, there are lots of theories which is great!
I believe he is using the RPM Blast now and believe he was using PHT Black before, and before that Duralast... he has been testing since late last year...it is no secret...looking for an edge to kick start his game...Babolat are helping him with this. He is chopping and changing...which is always difficult.

My source is the Babolat Export Manager for the UK...I believe them because I know he has been testing strings for Babolat from a very young age...Babolat France will back me up on this...they try to do this at least once a year with Moya and Rafa in Manacor. Maybe someone from Bab. strings tech? (no, I am not name dropping on the internet, do a search or email, him or her!)
This is not a secret...Anyone can do a search.
Tennis Fan3 believes it is still Duralast and maybe he is right...
I think it is RPM Blast ...sorry no proof!:)

TennisFan3
02-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I believe he is using the RPM Blast now and believe he was using PHT Black before, and before that Duralast... he has been testing since late last year...it is no secret...looking for an edge to kick start his game...Babolat are helping him with this. He is chopping and changing...which is always difficult.

My source is the Babolat Export Manager for the UK...I believe them because I know he has been testing strings for Babolat from a very young age...Babolat France will back me up on this...they try to do this at least once a year with Moya and Rafa in Manacor. Maybe someone from Bab. strings tech? (no, I am not name dropping on the internet, do a search or email, him or her!)
This is not a secret...Anyone can do a search.
Tennis Fan3 believes it is still Duralast and maybe he is right...
I think it is RPM Blast ...sorry no proof!:)

Thanks for the info. You say he was using PHT black before and now using RPM blast. When exactly is before? Is it like PHT in late 2009 and then RPM blast in 2010 or is the PHT from a longer time?

I think that Nadal - if he made the switch- switched just recently from Duralast. Incidentally, there was noticeable difference between how his strings (and his game) were in Abu Dhabi/Doha 2010 and AO 2010. I think either he adjusted his tension by a significant amount or he reverted back to the normal strings in AO.

I agree that the discussion is good!

raging
02-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the info. You say he was using PHT black before and now using RPM blast. When exactly is before? Is it like PHT in late 2009 and then RPM blast in 2010 or is the PHT from a longer time?

I think that Nadal - if he made the switch- switched just recently from Duralast. Incidentally, there was noticeable difference between how his strings (and his game) were in Abu Dhabi/Doha 2010 and AO 2010. I think either he adjusted his tension by a significant amount or he reverted back to the normal strings in AO.

I agree that the discussion is good!

Sorry if I wasn't that clear, I think he is chopping and changing...from duralast to pht black then to the prototype...RPM Blast! And back again!
RPM Blast was tested late last 2009 as a prototype(no name) in Manacor and other venues...you will have to phone Bab stringing dept in France for verification, I am not naming anyone here.

A lot of the guys and girls like the spin (Roddick calls it the "drop"!) and feel. It takes a while to get used to. You have to be able to get the incredible swing speeds that Rafa does to be able to fully utilize it though and that is why quite a few pros are interested.Also why they called it RPM Blast!:)

The PHT Black is also a bit livelier and Rafa said initially he liked it...that is why you see a thread with it apparently in a Nadal racket. Or is it duralast? It is also why you will see reels marked Pro Hurricane Rafael Nadal,etc..it is easy to pack a string into reels (actually not the PHT it is like barbed wire and tough even to bend into an 12m set packaging!) and write anything on it. Some of the early RPM Blast only has numbers on it, some only babolat printed on it, they were looking for a name for it, still developing it. It is typical for babolat though, give a soft message, a bit mysterious and...slowly release more details. They love it!

This does make it very difficult to know what he is using right now!

I don't think his playing style can be attributed to any one string...his style of play is unique. I think it was duralast for a long time but Rafa is committed to changing his style..that is why he is trying to change both his style and his string...a difficult problem. Unfortunately for him he reverts back to what he knows when he is uncomfortable...that is human nature.

So it is quite possible he used all 3 strings over the last 3 months!

His biggest problem though remains his knees!

AJK1
02-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Don't use this string, it causes knee injuries!!

raging
02-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Don't use this string, it causes knee injuries!!

:) yes Tsonga, Roddick, Stosur...amongst many others...should be Very Afraid!

TennisFan3
02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Sorry if I wasn't that clear, I think he is chopping and changing...from duralast to pht black then to the prototype...RPM Blast! And back again!
RPM Blast was tested late last 2009 as a prototype(no name) in Manacor and other venues...you will have to phone Bab stringing dept in France for verification, I am not naming anyone here.

A lot of the guys and girls like the spin (Roddick calls it the "drop"!) and feel. It takes a while to get used to. You have to be able to get the incredible swing speeds that Rafa does to be able to fully utilize it though and that is why quite a few pros are interested.Also why they called it RPM Blast!:)

The PHT Black is also a bit livelier and Rafa said initially he liked it...that is why you see a thread with it apparently in a Nadal racket. Or is it duralast? It is also why you will see reels marked Pro Hurricane Rafael Nadal,etc..it is easy to pack a string into reels (actually not the PHT it is like barbed wire and tough even to bend into an 12m set packaging!) and write anything on it. Some of the early RPM Blast only has numbers on it, some only babolat printed on it, they were looking for a name for it, still developing it. It is typical for babolat though, give a soft message, a bit mysterious and...slowly release more details. They love it!

This does make it very difficult to know what he is using right now!

I don't think his playing style can be attributed to any one string...his style of play is unique. I think it was duralast for a long time but Rafa is committed to changing his style..that is why he is trying to change both his style and his string...a difficult problem. Unfortunately for him he reverts back to what he knows when he is uncomfortable...that is human nature.

So it is quite possible he used all 3 strings over the last 3 months!

His biggest problem though remains his knees!

Thanks. That's very interesting info. I doubt the part in bold, but you could be right!!.
Anyway, I did think that Nadal's shotmaking had some extra chutzpah in Abu Dhabi/Doha 2010 (more depth and penetration). So, I would think that he should continue using whatever he used then.

Also in my experience, PHT is a pretty dead string. Hopefully RPM blast is more livelier . And I can't even use a non-cortex racquet, because my arm seriously hurts after using it for an extended period of time. Wonder how Nadal manages with a non cortex frame and duralast. Maybe he should try using the new APCDC GT :)

raging
02-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks. That's very interesting info. I doubt the part in bold, but you could be right!!.
Anyway, I did think that Nadal's shotmaking had some extra chutzpah in Abu Dhabi/Doha 2010 (more depth and penetration). So, I would think that he should continue using whatever he used then.

Also in my experience, PHT is a pretty dead string. Hopefully RPM blast is more livelier . And I can't even use a non-cortex racquet, because my arm seriously hurts after using it for an extended period of time. Wonder how Nadal manages with a non cortex frame and duralast. Maybe he should try using the new APCDC GT :)

No, he likes the boomerang that is called apd... raw! More power to him, he still has the swing speed to handle it...For lesser mortals, cortex and now GT!

I personally like the PDGT with VS Gut or even NVy and PHT hybrid.

Full poly is way too harsh for me too! I demoed all the Aero racquets with and without cortex with full PHT, the spin was awesome ! But after 2, 3 hours... just too harsh for me! Everyone is different.

I don't need RPM, can't swing it fast enough to get the full benefit anyway but lots of pros do and... are using it....:)
RPM is more lively but you need the control to harness it, once you get the ball rotation right then you get the "drop" and then the ball takes off again...
have read a lot of reports...waiting for samples.

Fedace
02-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I have to wonder if Babolat will have problems keeping up with demands once the string is release. I mean just look at the HYPE in this tennis forum... Demands will be even higher than Iphone. People may sleep in front of Babolat factory to get their hands on this string...

DownTheLine
02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
If you guys think Nadal switched to a different string your delusional.

Fedace
02-16-2010, 04:46 PM
If you guys think Nadal switched to a different string your delusional.

It is Black and uncle toni said he switched. and the old Duralast Cannot be dyed in black. It is NOT cost effective to do so.

DownTheLine
02-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Babolat pays them millions of dollars a year. Uncle Toni would suck there dick if they told him to.

Everyone thinks pros switch. THEY DON'T!!!!

Fedace
02-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Babolat pays them millions of dollars a year. Uncle Toni would suck there dick if they told him to.

Look at the gauge of the string. It is different......:???:

Kick Serve 14
02-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Right... once again, you are wrong...

Puddy
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Feddy, how can you tell from so far away? :-?

TennisFan3
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM

How can you judge that in the pics?

It's all about the $$, Babolat must have paid Nadal big money to promote the black strings. I don't think it's uneconomical to have a custom dyed duralast for your lead player.

All that said, I can't wait to get my hands on this RPM string. It's only $16.95 USD too!

raging
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
How can you judge that in the pics?

It's all about the $$, Babolat must have paid Nadal big money to promote the black strings. I don't think it's uneconomical to have a custom dyed duralast for your lead player.

All that said, I can't wait to get my hands on this RPM string. It's only $16.95 USD too!

There is of course no way of telling from photos what the gauge is, there are different ones of RPM Blast floating around.
Nadal is being paid to promote babolat that is true, but he has a vested interest in the string because he does heaps of testing and actually asked for them to develop this type of string.(This is again no secret anyone can do a search). They would make up anything for him but he specifically asked for this string and worked on the development.

Whether or not he uses it is another matter!:)

I think he has changed, unlike some posters I think pros will change if they see an advantage, feel an edge. Whether or not that lasts is another thing!

Tsonga is the latest example, using a new racket and a new... black string.

Nadal has definitely used it (obviously, he has tested it) but still no conclusive proof he has used it in a tournament.

decades
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM

So none of the pros ever switched to Lux? ok. whatever. They are all still using Victor Imperial Gut, painted of course to look like lux.

Chezbeeno
02-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Ok I'm beginning to think that RPM Blast and Pro Hurricane Tour Black are the same thing, I saw something on +enni$ Expre$$ that was advertising RPM Blast but it said on the package Pro Hurricane Tour, it also said it was supposed to be in stock 5/1/10, I still haven't used the demo pack I got but I should be able to try it soon

downs_chris
02-20-2010, 10:17 AM
not sure if this has been posted before...from the babolat website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2FSLeBBac&feature=player_embedded

raging
02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Ok I'm beginning to think that RPM Blast and Pro Hurricane Tour Black are the same thing, I saw something on +enni$ Expre$$ that was advertising RPM Blast but it said on the package Pro Hurricane Tour, it also said it was supposed to be in stock 5/1/10, I still haven't used the demo pack I got but I should be able to try it soon

no, it's not the same! Packaging is different and string as well, I have seen both strings but haven't got a sample!:)
Babolat released several sample batches..some with babolat printed on it..(which I saw from a reps sample) and I think you posted...with numbers on it??
They play completely different... PHT Black is same construction as Old Gold,
RPM has silicone and a few other secret bab. properties...
We will have to wait to try it...
If you really have it...string it up and try it!
Be the first to post here.
Have fun!

Lefty78
02-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Does the code B-432C mean anything to anyone?

Yes it does.
I got a set of it last week.
Both the reel it came from and the string are labeled B-432C 130/16.
I didn't speak with the Babolat Rep myself, but the word I got is that this IS the string Nadal, Tsonga, Roddick etc are using, but that it is different from the string soon to be released to the public, RPM Blast. :(
I can only hope this is untrue- the string is amazing.
Way more lively and way better ball feel than I expected, it felt nothing like PHT to me. There was tons of control on big rips, yet it felt almost cushy to me at slower swing speeds. It strung up much more easily than I would've guessed, and tension maintenance was darn good. I want more. :evil:

love15
02-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Rafa not using anymore Duralast for the simple reason that are gone ! no more ! no products anymore.
Benito told me.
So they have to switch, but Rafa is quite pleased, they done tons of test to find the right one.

RGDS

L15

andresm
02-22-2010, 07:28 AM
look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7_RqjOXHA&feature=player_embedded

jburton
02-22-2010, 01:01 PM
no, it's not the same! Packaging is different and string as well, I have seen both strings but haven't got a sample!:)
Babolat released several sample batches..some with babolat printed on it..(which I saw from a reps sample) and I think you posted...with numbers on it??
They play completely different... PHT Black is same construction as Old Gold,
RPM has silicone and a few other secret bab. properties...
We will have to wait to try it...
If you really have it...string it up and try it!
Be the first to post here.
Have fun!

How and where do you get sample strings?

raging
02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
How and where do you get sample strings?

In the UK - from a Babolat sponsored coach or sports store but not until April(in very short supply), then more in June. If you have connections maybe from Babolat , France?
In France and Europe and Australia(because samples were given out at Oz Open to top juniors, pros) there has been a bit of "testing" but it is long past the prototype stage now.
A lot of confusion as PHT Black has also been released and RPM Blast was not intended to be released until much later, now with all the hype from Oz Open alone, Babolat is rushing production through as fast as they can. there is even misinformation that it is the same string, this will be further reinforced on here by those that see rafa's racquet pj on another thread with PHT printed on it. He did however use this string as well (no, I can't prove it!) and this is further confusing matters!
Other companies are already rumoured to be working on cheaper copies...could be quite a bit of excitement at RG this year! there will be lots of black strings...:)

truetifoso
02-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I just got back from my local pro shop (Mission Tennis - Mission Viejo, CA).

The owner told me that he is getting the black RPM Blast strings on Monday. I left one of my rackets with him so that he can put these on. I can't wait to hit with them.

AlpineCadet
02-27-2010, 10:35 PM
If Nadal wants more spin, shouldn't he switch to an 18 gauge?

featherlight
02-28-2010, 04:23 AM
If Nadal wants more spin, shouldn't he switch to an 18 gauge?

his string would break a lot faster if he switch to 18 guage