PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you'd be able to quit tennis?

PrinceAce
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Well guys basically my partner gets me out everyday to play and at the beginning I was like I'm gonna burn out at this pace but for some reason I wanna keep coming out like I dont think I could ever quit playing tennis do you?

Ripper014
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I quit in 95 and just started playing again this past summer... if a friend had not dragged me back out I would have stayed retired and never missed it. However in saying that, I am glad I am back and it is amazing how I didn't realize how much I enjoy the feeling of a well struck tennis ball.

I now play what I call hit and giggle tennis... I will still compete hard when required... but I no longer struggle with that need to win attitude. Win or lose at the end of the day I had a great time playing tennis.

T Woody
02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I now play what I call hit and giggle tennis...

:) I like that.

armsty
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Can't see it happening. I'm 16 and I coach or play everyday. Been doing so for the last 2 and a half years or so. Been playing atleast once a week since I was 5 or 6 at the local club. I didn't play for a few months when I was around 12 because my club was sold and I followed the coaches around for a while but got sick of travelling 30 mins for a 60 minute lesson so I stopped. Got called to reserve for the courts around the corner from me and got back into it ever since.

I go down the courts with anyone, whenever the opportunity arises. I over do it a bit but oh well.

max
02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I expect to play at least another 25 years, then die gloriously returning serve. I honestly can't imagine quitting. It's essential.

jswinf
02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you'll be up against a killer serve. We all gotta go sometime.

Sumo
02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I played an 81yr old guy last weekend in a tourney.

He may just die on the court.

ssgator80
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I started as a kid but quit playing at 16. Got a job, a girl friend, party, etc. Went to college, got married, had two boys, Boys played all sports except tennis and I coached a lot of the teams. Kids got old, graduated from high scholl. I had nothing to do. Started playing tennis again after not playing for 30 years. Now playing virtually every day and USTA tournaments on the weekends. I'm hooked.

OrangePower
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I played an 81yr old guy last weekend in a tourney.

He may just die on the court.

Not a bad way to go!

Ripper014
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I have known two people that literally died on the tennis court, both in their 70's. I guess their time had come and it happened to be on a tennis court. Better this than to die slowly in a hospital bed for sure.

Cindysphinx
02-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I imagine there are lots of folks on the health and fitness board asking themselves this very question.

Quarante-Amour
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
YES, I wouldn't even have to think about it twice.

raiden031
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I could quit tennis but I think it would be painful to do. Just like a breakup, it would be hard at first, but the more time that goes by where I'm not playing, the more I get used to it, to the point where I don't even think about it anymore.

dlk
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
No way, I'd have to find a substitute that can/could do what tennis does for me; I could quit this board w/o problem.

rasajadad
02-12-2010, 04:46 AM
I haven't hit since October 18th having "retired" after Senior Nationals due to my 2nd cartilige tear and having osteoarthritis in both knees. I am 55 having played tennis since I am 12. I have to tell you this has been the worst 4 months! I am currently working out 6 days a week to try and get to a point where I might be able to get out again when the clay opens up. But I'm afraid I'll never be able to compete again. But who knows? I'll keep trying!

Panic492
02-12-2010, 05:02 AM
I did quit playing for 11 years. I played a lot as a junior, high school, D3 and 3 years of 4.5 USTA in the early 90's. I was burned out on tennis. Starting playing again 5 years ago because I always loved the game, just needed a long break. A lot of my game never came back-especially my serve.

J_R_B
02-12-2010, 05:46 AM
It woudl be hard, but in the last year, I've had problems with my elbow, back, knees, and ankle. At some point, if my body breaks down too badly, I'll have to give it up, or at least cut way back to just occasional social play.

JRstriker12
02-12-2010, 05:57 AM
No. I plan on playing as long as possible, till the wheels fall off...

I already had to quit soccer due (long story) and I was a super soccer fiend - it was a long, painful process of giving it up. I don't want to have to due that again with tennis.

It is possible to burn out though. There was one year where I was playing almost everyday, it was fun, but after a while I had to take a little break for about a week or two.

chollyred
02-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I lived on the courts through my teens and early 20s then tore up my knees. I quit playing for 30 years. I'd still watch Wimbledon and the US Open on TV every year. This past year while watching the Open, my grandkids decided they wanted to learn to play, so I started teaching them. So far, my knees have held up well, even with the added girth from 30 years. I haven't gotten back into tournament or league form yet, but so play with a group of other seniors whenever I get a chance.

Now 2-3 days a week is plenty for me.

Sakkijarvi
02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I expect to play at least another 25 years, then die gloriously returning serve. I honestly can't imagine quitting. It's essential.

Where my dad lives (retirement community, tennis-mad) they have paddles they apply on not-so-rare occasions when the cry goes out...'man down, man down!'. Sometimes they do die, sadly. But it has to beat many other forms of passing...unless your last stroke was a shank.

SuperDuy
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I have known two people that literally died on the tennis court, both in their 70's. I guess their time had come and it happened to be on a tennis court. Better this than to die slowly in a hospital bed for sure.

Someone at my club who was in his 80s died on the court from a heart attack. He was playing for like 70 years and never stopped till he dropped.

Annika
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I took my first tennis lesson at 26. I'm now in my 60's and I still play singles. Prefer all the movement and no partner. I've taken a year or two off for one reason or another but always came back.

I tell everyone I want to die playing tennis. I had a usta coach who was 71.
She's an inspiration! :)