PDA

View Full Version : Playing with better players

newbieat39
02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I am new to tennis, started in July. I regularly go to a clinic with 3.0-3.5 ladies and hit well (not the best, not the worst) Accidently I went to a 3.5 and up clinic. It was clear that everyone was better than me but I hit as hard/well as I could and for the most I lost the team point as often as someone else did, but I could not hit "winners" like I could in the other clinic. My question to you experienced players is do you mind someone like me coming to the clinic, everyone was nice, not as cheerfull as the other but I did not get any mean looks...lol I want to get better and think playing with these guys will help me but dont want to be where I dont belong.

Ripper014
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Clinics are just practice sessions for the most part... and as long as you don't bring down the level of play I don't think anyone cares. Just be quiet, humble and work hard... no one wants to hear why you missed a shot or you berate yourself.

But in saying that you would probably learn just as much from a 3.0-3.5 clinic which may cater to more of what you need.

Tennis is like building a house don't be in such a hurry to get the second floor up... it is important to have a solid foundation to build from. If you start with a solid foundation you can build a whole highrise.

And good luck with your tennis future... wherever it takes you.

HitItHarder
02-12-2010, 07:46 AM
I am new to tennis, started in July. I regularly go to a clinic with 3.0-3.5 ladies and hit well (not the best, not the worst) Accidently I went to a 3.5 and up clinic. It was clear that everyone was better than me but I hit as hard/well as I could and for the most I lost the team point as often as someone else did, but I could not hit "winners" like I could in the other clinic. My question to you experienced players is do you mind someone like me coming to the clinic, everyone was nice, not as cheerfull as the other but I did not get any mean looks...lol I want to get better and think playing with these guys will help me but dont want to be where I dont belong.

I have been playing with the same team of guys for about a year and a half now. We all were late comers to tennis have been playing about the same amount of time. We have a semi-regular clinic with a local pro who most of us took lessons with at one time or another.

Every once in a while, one of the guys will bring out a friend that "hasn't played in a while" and who wants to hit around. Honestly, no one seems to mind them being there if they are really trying to get something out of it and practice.

The only time it has been a problem is when the new person is running around goofing off and not trying to be serious about it. With jobs, kids, family, etc., we don't get to play enough to waste time a night goofing off.

So I am betting it is fine to go to the other clinic when you can. Just don't be so quick to write off the lower clinic, if, as Ripper said, it is helping you build a good foundation.

Geezer Guy
02-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, I'll just offer a different perspective. And, I could be totally off base (and no offense intended - but you asked...). You said you're not the best but not the worst in the group of 3.0 - 3.5 ladies. You said when you went to the clinic of 3.5 guys it was clear that everyone was better than you. I'm glad everyone was nice and you didn't get any mean looks. Whether or not they actually resented you being there may depend on the type of clinic. If there was a lot of emphasis on doubles and/or point play, then whoever was your partner may have resented being "stuck" with you, and whoever was your opponent may have resented not being challenged. If it was the type of clinic that's mostly dead-ball drills where you stand in line waiting for your turn to hit whatever shot is being worked on, then probably no one cared. In a case like that, your lack of skill wouldn't have effected the other people at the clinic. I have attended a lot of clinic's. Things seem to go best when everyone is near the same skill level. Otherwise, the people at the top of the skill level get a lot less coaching than the people at the bottom. The people at the bottom get most of the instructors attention, and can sometimes drag down the quality of the clinic for everyone else.

That's just my experience, and again - no offense intended.

JRstriker12
02-12-2010, 09:53 AM

As long as you are on level, then it's fine.

If it's to the point where you can't do what's needed in the drills, then it's really annoying.

I have a regular thursday night clinic and it's usually just 4 regulars, but every once in a while , we get one or two extra people. Nothing kills the clinic for me more than when a player's level is too low to participate properly in drills the require cooperative work between two players. For example, if you have to hit the ball off a feed for me to volley, it's frustrating to sit there and watch balls fly into the net or way over my head.