PDA

View Full Version : Knee hurts when I bend it

tennis005
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
My left knee hurts when I bend it or walk. I was doing a lounge the other day and it suddenly started hurting. Its on the front of the knee just below the kneecap. Any suggestions to help it? Could I put athletic tape on to help it and if so where?

tennis005
02-11-2010, 08:40 PM
It actually hurts more when i try to straighten it or bend it. A slight bend actually hurts less then keeping my leg straight.

Vyse
02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Did you hit it or bruise it anywhere before doing the lunge?

rudester
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I have been trying to rehab my knee for 4 months now, i have had 2 knee surgeries ACL MCl and Cartilage repair. The only advice i would venture would be to stay off of it until you have had it examined by a physician. It may be something like patella tendinitis which needs rest or it could be torn meniscus, in which case the danger of more damage is possible. You don't know for sure until examined by a professional.
Really, get it examined, the only peace of mind you will gain will be from knowing the exact nature of the problem. I wish you the best my friend.

tennis005
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Nope it was fine. I just bent it and suddenly it started hurting. It's like a sharp pain below the kneecap. I had this once before on my right knee and it went away in about a week. Any recommendations to help it before I get it checked out? Tape? Ice and heat?

Vyse
02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Was your lunge technique correct? Did you bring your knee beyond your foot? that is bad, but yah, I'd get it checked out just in case.

tennis005
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Yup my coach even comments on how he never has to correct my technique. Come to think of it, I think it happened when I bent down to pick up a ball. My knee might have gone past my foot as I bent.

In D Zone
02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Try using a knee brace, sold at Walmart. Get the brace that is adjustable. This will help support your knee.

Another option is to get a jumpers brace sold at Walmart as well). Its an elastic band with a small padded foam. You place the band right below the knee cap. The compression will help ease the impact on your knees.

If symptom presist, might want to see the doctor or rest. Once it heals, work on strenght conditioning at the gym. sitted leg /knee curls and squats will help build more strength.
Good luck.

Lefty5
02-12-2010, 06:41 AM
sounds like "jumpers knee" or petellar tendonitis...

J_R_B
02-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Nope it was fine. I just bent it and suddenly it started hurting. It's like a sharp pain below the kneecap. I had this once before on my right knee and it went away in about a week. Any recommendations to help it before I get it checked out? Tape? Ice and heat?

I would say just rest and motrin, but definitely get it checked ASAP. Only a doctor can tell you what is wrong, not a message board.

freedomtennis
02-12-2010, 06:58 AM
My left knee hurts when I bend it or walk. I was doing a lounge the other day and it suddenly started hurting. Its on the front of the knee just below the kneecap. Any suggestions to help it? Could I put athletic tape on to help it and if so where?

you could try a brace but maybe you did incorrect technique and you did not notice it. I would rest it and put ice on it until the pain is gone. Then go to an athletic trainer to learn how to perform lunges correctly even if you think you know. Slowly get back your normal routine. If the pain persists for more than one week and you notice swelling ect. go to your doctor.

charliefedererer
02-12-2010, 07:31 AM
sounds like "jumpers knee" or petellar tendonitis...

The location does makes it sound like "jumper's knee" or patellar tendonitis. http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2004_Groups/Group06/Group6project/Graphics/Therapy/Pat_Tendonitis.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2004_Groups/Group06/Group6project/Graphics/Therapy/Pat_Tendonitis.jpg&imgrefurl=http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2004_Groups/Group06/Group6project/Therapy/InjuriesPatTendonitis.htm&usg=__DbK44CiTrtjFW1mVHpLXjPlx4MQ=&h=319&w=225&sz=31&hl=en&start=6&itbs=1&tbnid=amAr4OxiBOeoBM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=83&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpatellar%2Btendonitis%26gbv%3D2%26hl% 3Den

But it's impossible to make an online diagnosis, so a medical evaluation is needed.

Still, you couldn't go wong to rest until the pain subsided, and to start to ice it.
Hopefully it will go away and stay away. But it could also be a signal that you may need to strengthen your quads slowly (after the pain is gone) with activities like low resistance biking or a stairmaster before going back to lunges and playing tennis. Hopefully you won't have to wear a patellor tendon strap or be taped here like Rafa because it develops into a chronic problem.

tennis005
02-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!!!