PDA

View Full Version : Baseliners with 1HBH

zorg
04-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't get why some basliners use a 1HBH, which is the choice for most all cort players(I heard Ancic uses 2, but that is an exception). Shouldn't they use 2 hands, since it is more powerful and maybe more control(the more control is because they will be hitting from the back of the court all the time, as apposed to all court players going to the net a alot). This is one thing I just don't get. Do you guys think this will be a new fad? All court players with 2 hands, baseliners with 1?

spinbalz
04-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey Thomas Muster, have you readed that?

Newby
04-30-2005, 12:41 PM
I am an all court player with a 1 hbh. Although I like to go to the net, I feel very comfortable staying at the baseline with my one hander. I think this is because of the fact that I can utilize my backhand slice in points. I can change the pace of the point with the one hander and therefore keep the ball in play longer. This way, I feel as if I can really battle it out from the baseline with my opponents.

scoot
04-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Steffi, Justine, Muster, Lendl, albert costa, gaudio all make their living off the baseline and all have 1 handers. While a 1 hander can help with transition game as well, there's no reason a player with a solid 1 hander cant do very well playing predominately from the baseline.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah I dont see how a baseliner with a 1-hander is a detriment. I hate hitting a two handed backhand and I am a baseline, I hit them all with one hand, and I hit much better with 1 hand.

BreakPoint
04-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I guess guys like Kuerten, Pioline, Corretja, et al didn't know what they were doing and should have been hitting two-handed backhands all along. What were they thinking?

BTW, if you have good timing and know how to hit a one-handed backhand properly, it is more powerful than a two-handed backhand. Haven't you seen guys like Federer, Gaudio, and Pavel cream their one-handed backhands? They also have the added benefit of reach and variety with their one-handers, too.

Max G.
04-30-2005, 03:06 PM
There are lots and lots and lots of pure-baseline claycourters that hit a one-handed backhand. Gaudio, Costa, etc.

And besides, whether they use one or two hands is basically set in stone by age 15-16; switching after that age is virtually impossible. However, at that age, players probably don't yet know whether they shoudl be pure baseliners or all-courters - they're still working on their game and will probably end up with a different gameplan by the time they turn pros. So they can't really pick which to use based on whether they will be all-courters or not.

monologuist
04-30-2005, 06:43 PM
one handed backhand, if you hit it properly is a lot more powerful than a 2-hander...much more racquet acceleration and range of motion...and 1-hand slice is a grear weapon for a baseliner to mix up spins and pace and to keep balls low and harder for opponent to stroke topspin shots....just look at Fed for example...

Rickson
04-30-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't get why some basliners use a 1HBH, which is the choice for most all cort players(I heard Ancic uses 2, but that is an exception). Shouldn't they use 2 hands, since it is more powerful and maybe more control(the more control is because they will be hitting from the back of the court all the time, as apposed to all court players going to the net a alot). This is one thing I just don't get. Do you guys think this will be a new fad? All court players with 2 hands, baseliners with 1?
The 2 hander is more powerful and has more control? Do you really believe that if Federer or Henin-Herdenne switched to a 2 hander, they'd hit the ball with more power and control? Federer's passing shots from the backhand side look a lot more powerful and controlled than any 2 hander's passing shot I've ever seen. Are you saying that Gaudio's backhand is less powerful than most of the guys who use 2 hands? The truth is, you can have power and control with either type of backhand so if a player decides to use the 1 hander for his baseline game, don't hold it against him and claim that 1 handers are only good for all courters and net rushers because the 1 handed backhand can be just as effective as the 2 handed backhand from the baseline.

35ft6
05-01-2005, 01:07 AM
If you're in perfect position, a one-hander can generate more power than a two-hander. The reason why a two-hander might be considered more powerful is that you don't have to be in perfect position to generate power with a two-hander. You can abbreviate your swing, react, improvise, and still generate power with a two-hander, which you really can't do consistently with a one-hander.

TennisD
05-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I guess guys like Kuerten, Pioline, Corretja, et al didn't know what they were doing and should have been hitting two-handed backhands all along. What were they thinking?

BTW, if you have good timing and know how to hit a one-handed backhand properly, it is more powerful than a two-handed backhand. Haven't you seen guys like Federer, Gaudio, and Pavel cream their one-handed backhands? They also have the added benefit of reach and variety with their one-handers, too.
Backhand style is all about taste and comfort. I can't hit a 2 handed backhand for my life, never could. But my two-hander is one of my best, if not my best, shots. I mean, I have a natural one. I have more control, angle, and power on my backhand than some very highly ranked ITF players who I train with. One handers RULE!

Phil
05-01-2005, 05:48 AM

More power and control with a two hander? Baseliners? So I guess Ivan Lendl was all wrong, for his entire career. Some "fad". Have you ever watched a tennis match before last week?

TwistServe
05-01-2005, 05:59 AM
The 1hander and 2hander are equally strong when used by the right person at the right time... Personally I feel the 1handed backhand is more penetrating while the 2handed backhand has more torque and spin.

FiveO
05-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Steffi, Justine, Muster, Lendl, albert costa, gaudio all make their living off the baseline and all have 1 handers. While a 1 hander can help with transition game as well, there's no reason a player with a solid 1 hander cant do very well playing predominately from the baseline.

Very true. Prior to 1974 and the successes of Evert, Borg and Connors, hitting w/ two hands was still considered the exception rather than the rule in devout baseline play. But even since those successes and the subsequent tidal wave of 2 handed baseliners, the players listed above show that a one hander is just as viable from the backcourt, if not as great in number. I would add to the list Orantes, Vilas, Sabatini, Kuerten and Mauresmo as others who have made or are making quite a good living from the baseline with one-handed bh's. All have GS wins (w/ the exception of Mauresmo).

In 1977 (a year by which Borg and Connors were already established stars and a year when almost all events were played on red-clay or har-tru) Vilas showed up and won an amazing 16 titles, including RG and the USO. His one-hander was his best shot and around which his game was built. He just pounded it. I believe, Vilas was the model on which Kuerten based his amazing one-hander.

Misiti99
05-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Truth is....1 handed backhand is perhaps just as powerfully if hit correctly....
Also..Look at Gustavo Kuerten...Gaudio...Corretja...Lopez....Federer obvviously...I believe Ljubicic is a baseliner with a 1 hander...
On Clay...a 1 hander is by far better...It allows more brush up to hit a heavier ball...Look @ Gaudios 1 hander...heavy heavy heavy...and it kicks up over everyones head....People have always thought of the 1 hander being weaker because that was maybe Sampras' one weak spot.....

35ft6
05-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I hander is definitely more powerful when the person is properly set up. The way the human body is, the path the racket travels on a one hander is completely without a hitch, it's a straight shot.

Exile
05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
I can't believe you guys forgot J johansson.
His shots are ugly, but if he were to get a little more consistancy on his strokes he'd be 2 times better than roddick (yes i remember USO win over roddick last year)

Lambsscroll
05-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Guga proved to me you can hit winners from the baseline using a 1hbh. Lendl I think started the trend.

Phil
05-02-2005, 12:16 AM
I can't believe you guys forgot J johansson.
His shots are ugly, but if he were to get a little more consistancy on his strokes he'd be 2 times better than roddick (yes i remember USO win over roddick last year)

His one-hander is not only ugly, it's weak. Roddick, if he knew any better, would have exploited it in that match, but Johansson tends to run around it-he'll run to Chicago if he has to to avoid hitting a one-hander, which is why, maybe, it's not as easy to exploit as it may look-unless an opponent can keep the ball wide enough that Johansson isn't able to run around it and has no choice but to hit it.

Camilio Pascual
05-02-2005, 03:27 AM
I believe I know the average pace of 1 handers is less than that of 2 handers.
The very fastest paced backhand shots I've ever seen have come from a 1H BH, just infrequently. Also, the very lowest paced, as in drop shots, for example.

deflori
05-02-2005, 05:07 AM
muster,guga,gaudio,corretja,costa,mantilla,martin - all great baseliner,nothing is better,everyone plays like he want to.....there are n rules maan

Leon
05-02-2005, 05:21 AM
I just started with one handed, never tried anything else.

35ft6
05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I believe I know the average pace of 1 handers is less than that of 2 handers.
The very fastest paced backhand shots I've ever seen have come from a 1H BH, just infrequently. Also, the very lowest paced, as in drop shots, for example. I agree. You don't have to be in perfect position and generate a full stroke to nail a two hander.

fastdunn
05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I think the advantage of 1 handed backhand for a baseliner is still on its
higher pontential for variety of shots.

zorg
05-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys, I see I was wrong. GOOD!! Because I was worried because I have a 1HBH, so I don't want to be beaten in the back of the court, even though I am an all court player.