View Full Version : What are powerholes?

04-30-2005, 11:54 AM
What are powerholes? I have heard people talking about some of the pro's racquets having "powerholes" and I am completely lost about what they are. So, what are "powerholes"?

David Pavlich
04-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Power holes as well as Big Grommet Technology (Volkl), Sweet Spot Suspension (Prince) and Comfort Zone (Head) are either slots in the frame (PH), elongated grommets (Prince, Volkl) or oversized grommet holes (Head) that allow the stringbed to "float" a little more. It's supposed to allow the stringbed to impart more power and allow the ball to dwell on the strings a bit longer.

The new O3's from Prince create an exagerated version of their SSS.


04-30-2005, 12:30 PM
so is it like the prince racquets without gromets? or is it just really big grommets? I know I must sound like a beginner, but just wandering. Thanks.

04-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a bunch of Bologna to me, but hey, what do I know?

Here's a link to the TW page for the O3 Silver: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/viewlarge.html?PCODE=PO3S

as you can see, it is as David Pavlich said, exaggerated...

04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that the things at the bottom of Serena's racquet in this pic are power holes:http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t314/t314557a.jpg.

04-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Here is a better pic:http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52490382&cdi=0. The holes at 9 o'clock are power holes.