PDA

View Full Version : String Saver?

siowmotion
02-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi TW

I just was going through random youtube videos on tennis and came across the "How to put string saver" video and looked it up. I just wanted to get a idea if anyone else uses it, and if they actually work(this applies to people that actually use it or use to use it I guess).

mikeler
02-13-2010, 05:45 AM
They work. Give em a shot.

Icedorb217
02-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Most people use them when they have gut because its so freakin expensive you want it to last as long as possible

COPEY
02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Yep, they work. I've read reviews and seen comments where people prefer the Babolat tool over the Unique version. Me, I like the latter. It's no harder to use in my opinion, but the big plus is you can get refills. You spend $5 each time with the Babolat and end up with a bunch of insertion tools that you can't get refills for. With the Unique tool you get 5 strips of savers with the tool (35 per strip), but when you need refills, for just under $5 you get 10 strips of savers, so it makes a little more sense economically speaking.

mikeler
02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Yep, they work. I've read reviews and seen comments where people prefer the Babolat tool over the Unique version. Me, I like the latter. It's no harder to use in my opinion, but the big plus is you can get refills. You spend $5 each time with the Babolat and end up with a bunch of insertion tools that you can't get refills for. With the Unique tool you get 5 strips of savers with the tool (35 per strip), but when you need refills, for just under $5 you get 10 strips of savers, so it makes a little more sense economically speaking.

Are they as easy to insert as the Babolat? For me, that was the key difference between Babolat and all others.

COPEY
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Yep, they sure are. Every now and then you might come across a couple that are fused together, but with a little twist left and right they separate without a problem. I don't know - people like what they like I suppose. I simply don't understand how some say they're hard to put in. I can't imagine how it could be any easier.

mikeler
02-14-2010, 04:22 AM
Yep, they sure are. Every now and then you might come across a couple that are fused together, but with a little twist left and right they separate without a problem. I don't know - people like what they like I suppose. I simply don't understand how some say they're hard to put in. I can't imagine how it could be any easier.

I've used ones before where they sometimes stick together. Not the end of the world.

charliefedererer
02-15-2010, 06:49 AM
To the OP:
Next time you break a string, cut your string out yourself and see how much notching has occurred where the main and cross strings cross. The worst notching should be in the center of your racquet, as that's where you strike the ball the most, and the strings therefore move the most against each other.
The little teflon string savers really do prevent the notching on your string, and prolong the life of string. This may be particulary important when playing with a hybrid in which a softer gut or monofilament is being cut with a polyester.
So why doesn't everybody use string saver's?
Well, having lots of string savers in place does change the feel of the stringbed somewhat (although some actually like this feel). Also, some recent work with high speed images from Japan, and now from our TT professor, seems to indicate some of the spin from polyester strings may be from a rebound of the strings back to their original position, and extensive string savers would produce enough friction to prevent this effect.
Also, in a hybrid, the poly often goes dead before the gut would break anyway, so many feel they would not benefit from the stringsavers.