PDA

View Full Version : Question on college tennis scoring

Brett
02-13-2010, 06:58 AM
I think I kind of understand how it works but it still seems a little confusing to me. I know there is always 6 singles matches and three doubles. I know it's the first one to four points, correct? Even though they continue to play for all 9 matches?

I understand that each singles match is worth one point and that whoever wins two of their double matches gets a single point. But does the order of play have to do with any of it? Who ends up play the first matches? Just doubles?

So at what point do you know which team has already won? When one team has already gotten four points?

ClarkC
02-13-2010, 08:01 AM
First team to four points wins. In tournaments, they abandon the other matches because they don't matter. In dual matches, they go ahead and finish. Doubles is played first, just playing a pro set, tiebreaker at 8-8, standard first one to get 7 points, win by 2 points tiebreaker.

All positions in doubles and singles count the same. Does not matter if you lose 1-2-3 singles if you win 4-5-6 singles and the doubles point.

Not sure if you had any other questions.

By the way, in NCAA Division II, Division III, and NAIA, the doubles matches count separately, 9 points total in a team match are available, so it is first one to get 5 points. This is how it used to be in Division I until about 25 years ago.

!<-_->!
02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
NJCAA is also a 9 point total if I'm not mistaken, with doubles being 2 out of 3 sets.

JLyon
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Division 1 NCAA is 7 pts, Singles 1 pt a piece, doubles 1 pt to winner of 2 matches.
All other divisions play 9 pt, meaning all matches played count as 1 pt each.

10isDad
02-18-2010, 05:51 AM
NJCAA is also a 9 point total if I'm not mistaken, with doubles being 2 out of 3 sets.

I attend several NJCAA dual matches each year:

9 point total (unless playing a D1 school, where they defer to D1 format of first to 4 points). Doubles is a pro-set, not 2 of 3 sets.

Singles are 2 of 3 full sets unless the overall dual outcome is decided, then a match tie-breaker is generally used (one team up 5-2 - remaining singles matches would be match tie-breaker instead of full 3rd set).

!<-_->!
02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
I attend several NJCAA dual matches each year:

9 point total (unless playing a D1 school, where they defer to D1 format of first to 4 points). Doubles is a pro-set, not 2 of 3 sets.

Singles are 2 of 3 full sets unless the overall dual outcome is decided, then a match tie-breaker is generally used (one team up 5-2 - remaining singles matches would be match tie-breaker instead of full 3rd set).

Guess it varies then. I play NJCAA and we play 2 out of 3 sets for doubles.