PDA

View Full Version : Federer string set up?

Lotto
02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi guys,

I'm quite curious as to Federer's string set ups and his tension selection on different days and surfaces. I know there was a thread AGES ago on it with some of his tensions for specific surfaces but can't find it anywhere...

Any help? (Know he uses Bab gut mains and Alu power rough crosses btw)

Just curious tbh.

armsty
02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Wilson's Champion's Choice.

Wilson Nat Gut mains
Lux Alu Power Cross

Lotto
02-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Wilson Nat Gut mains
Lux Alu Power Cross

Yes I know that. lol. talking about tensions etc tho. I know someone on this forum knows because its been posted before but cannot find it anywhere.

hiruma21
02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Yes I know that. lol. talking about tensions etc tho. I know someone on this forum knows because its been posted before but cannot find it anywhere.

His tension depends.
Surface,weather etc...

Lotto
02-13-2010, 01:31 PM
His tension depends.
Surface,weather etc...

Ye, I know that aswell lol. Just thought I saw a table or something somewhere on here that somebody posted with some of the tensions he uses on the 3 surfaces...not every single one but some.

downs_chris
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
i'm too lazy to search for it now...but i think he's in the upper 40s for tension...

robJAR
02-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure his tensions ranged anywhere from 45-53 lbs., depending on the surface and weather. Just search for it on here, and i'm sure you'll find it.

-robJAR

dextor
02-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Ye, I know that aswell lol. Just thought I saw a table or something somewhere on here that somebody posted with some of the tensions he uses on the 3 surfaces...not every single one but some.

21.5 to 22.5 kg (or around there), with crosses 1.5 kg lower. probably depends on how he feels that day. and he most likely has a variety of tensions in his bag.

ci2ca
02-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Wilson Nat Gut mains
Lux Alu Power Cross

Fed uses Wilson Gut mains and Luxilon Alu power ROUGH crosses.

tenis
02-14-2010, 06:07 PM
^^^ ci2ca is absolutely right. I tried the same set up, but the Rough just eats the gut too fast.

Fedace
02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Federer too will switch to that new Black string from Babolat i heard..

Greek Goliath
02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Federer too will switch to that new Black string from Babolat i heard..

Seriously, where did you get that bunch of bull from?

Perhaps Babolat is onto something with their new string, but Federer isn't going to switch to it. His current setup works fine for him. If it isn't broken, don't fix it- that's the mentality of most pros, which is why paintjobs exist.

Cheers,

Greek Goliath

hyper_raiden
02-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Greek Goliath, Fedace is JOKING
CHILL OUT -_-

and dexter's spot on.

coloskier
02-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Seriously, where did you get that bunch of bull from?

Perhaps Babolat is onto something with their new string, but Federer isn't going to switch to it. His current setup works fine for him. If it isn't broken, don't fix it- that's the mentality of most pros, which is why paintjobs exist.

Cheers,

Greek Goliath

Plus the fact that he is under contract to Wilson, not Babolat. He uses Wilson Gut, which is made by Babolat, but is under the Wilson name.

Baselineg
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Wilson Nat Gut mains
Lux Alu Power Cross

His tension depends.
Surface,weather etc...

i'm too lazy to search for it now...but i think he's in the upper 40s for tension...

haha you guys are helpfull.

Jonny S&V
02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Greek Goliath, Fedace is JOKING
CHILL OUT -_-

Hence why he has close to 16,000 posts.

aimr75
02-15-2010, 07:48 PM
tried this setup (but with klip legend) at high and low tensions.. under or around 50lbs it is very trampoline like..

OP, if youre planning on trying it out, i recommend stringing the gut at around 60lbs, will feel better then at low tensions

OliverSimon
02-16-2010, 06:23 AM
I tried this same setup myself and it is amazing!

adizzy
02-19-2010, 11:17 AM
tried this setup (but with klip legend) at high and low tensions.. under or around 50lbs it is very trampoline like..

OP, if youre planning on trying it out, i recommend stringing the gut at around 60lbs, will feel better then at low tensions

How can anyone control that. Its truly amazing.

ClubHoUno
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM

Remember Fed uses a small 90 SQ" frame, which requires a lower tension than larger frames.

aimr75
02-19-2010, 02:51 PM

agree, its not pleasant

Remember Fed uses a small 90 SQ" frame, which requires a lower tension than larger frames.

even in a 90 sq. inch frame it is very trampoline like..

Ripper014
02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
even in a 90 sq. inch frame it is very trampoline like..

I agree... I admire any of you that can play at low tensions (sub 50's) and have high racket head speeds.

I know that I cannot control a racket that has sub 50 tensions without slowing down my swing speed. It feels like it stays on the racket too long as I carry the ball over the baseline.

It is definitely a skillset that I do not own.

aimr75
02-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I agree... I admire any of you that can play at low tensions (sub 50's) and have high racket head speeds.

I know that I cannot control a racket that has sub 50 tensions without slowing down my swing speed. It feels like it stays on the racket too long as I carry the ball over the baseline.

It is definitely a skillset that I do not own.

lower tensions can be used, it just depends on the string.. with gut, for me, lower tensions is just too much.. full poly setups are ok

Lotto
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I use a blx tour 90......tried out Babolat Vs Touch in the mains at 53lbs and Alu Power in the crosses at 51.....the natural gut broke after 2 hours of hitting in the one day.....I was absolutely nailing the ball now. I'd hit pretty big like....my coach is a futures level player (2.1 uk) and I was hitting almost as hard as him on the forehand....2 HOURS nd the gut broke....I dont have the money to ehm, keep playing with it :( Absolutely loved it though. Was amazing!!

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
02-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Not just the fact that the blx90 is a mid, but also the fact that it is very stiff.
I use a mid and a gut/poly at 55/50 was way too loose to for me.
This is because mine is pretty flexible

floydcouncil
02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Not just the fact that the blx90 is a mid, but also the fact that it is very stiff.
I use a mid and a gut/poly at 55/50 was way too loose to for me.
This is because mine is pretty flexible

I demoed the BLX Tour and didn't feel that it's a "very" stiff frame.

Ripper014
02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
lower tensions can be used, it just depends on the string.. with gut, for me, lower tensions is just too much.. full poly setups are ok

I use Big Ace Micro 18L in my mains and Maxim Touch 17 in my crosses at 64lbs and it seems to be the right mix for me now. I have tried low tensions since 1984 and could never get used to it, the ball just feels like it is stuck to my racket and won't get off. The only way I could use it was to push the ball around the court... I may give it another try sometime down the road.