PDA

View Full Version : Rafa Nadal's workout

Boy Wonder
04-30-2005, 03:30 PM
When this guy works out, does he mainly focus on his upper body? Anybody know what exercises he does? Does he also do stuff like situps and running?

VamosRafa
04-30-2005, 03:43 PM
When this guy works out, does he mainly focus on his upper body? Anybody know what exercises he does? Does he also do stuff like situps and running?

He plays soccer whenever he can, and he likes to make practice more demanding by having four opponents in the opposite court at the same time.

I've read lots of articles on his training practices, but the most recent ones say he he practices tennis 3-1/2 hours, and does 1-1/2 hours of strength and other training each day. Hope this info helps.

Boy Wonder
04-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Yes, it does thanks.

35ft6
05-04-2005, 08:48 AM
For some reason I don't think he's much of a gym rat, if only because if he lifted more weights, his left arm wouldn't be soooo much bigger than his right one.

edit: didn't see V-rafa's post before seeing this... that's surprising if he lifts... he certainly is muscular, but unless he's only doing machine exercises, where his left arm is always compensating/dominating, his right arm should be much closer in size to his left...

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 08:59 AM
For some reason I don't think he's much of a gym rat, if only because if he lifted more weights, his left arm wouldn't be soooo much bigger than his right one.

edit: didn't see V-rafa's post before seeing this... that's surprising if he lifts... he certainly is muscular, but unless he's only doing machine exercises, where his left arm is always compensating/dominating, his right arm should be much closer in size to his left...

Here's the gym equipment in his house. Looks like he cross-trains. Photo is from French Tennis mag.

http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/19766186-L.jpg

arodnadal
05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
could you find out some of the excercises he does for 1 and 1/2 hours

Steve F.
05-04-2005, 10:27 AM
No offense, but I sincerely doubt Nadal has reinvented what exercises are best for tennis related strengthening. The equipment in the photo gives a good enough idea of what you can do if you're serious. Off the top of my head there's crunches, pushups, sit ups with the ball, hill climbing on the bike, and cool down on the treadmill. That's not including the weights, which no doubt include more core, squats and hamstring work. If you make time to do 30 focussed minutes of any of these things you'll improve your tennis fitness, much less an hour and a half, lol. Get a trainer to help you figure out YOUR goals and limits, and post in Health and Fitness and find out how to organize your time in the gym and crosstraining with other sports.

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Steve, I think you are right. Nadal has given general info about his training regimen, but not specifics. I doubt most pros give specifics, although they see each other training and working out at tourneys, so they have a general idea. As you said, there aren't any secrets.

TennisD
05-04-2005, 05:02 PM
I really want to make a steroids joke, but I won't...

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I really want to make a steroids joke, but I won't...

Good, because I doubt it would be funny.

PJVA
05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I think Nadal just inherited a thick frame. People don't change their basic shape through exercise usually.

VamosRafa
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I think Nadal just inherited a thick frame. People don't change their basic shape through exercise usually.

I agree. When you have an uncle who was a tennis pro, and another uncle who was known as the "Beast of Barcelona" in the soccer world, you likely have inherited some of that gene pool. As well as the advice of these guys, who have worked with Rafa since he was age 5.

joe sch
05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Steve, I think you are right. Nadal has given general info about his training regimen, but not specifics. I doubt most pros give specifics, although they see each other training and working out at tourneys, so they have a general idea. As you said, there aren't any secrets.
Most pros probably will not reveal thier secrets but Tennis & USTA Magazines usually have workout info that some of the players do each month. The USTA current issue has a favorite workout from Roddick (wall sit), Bob Bryan (step-ups), Mike Bryann (elastic band shuffle) and Agassi (ab crunches). All of the top players have trainers who surely have alot of common exercises for players (cardio & strenght) Andres longtime trainer, Gil Reyes, is a strenght guy so Andre is probably more than 2x as strong as most players probably even including Nadal.

AJK1
05-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Federer doesn't have a muscle bound body, but he hits a tennis ball better than anyone else.

35ft6
05-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Here's the gym equipment in his house. Looks like he cross-trains. Photo is from French Tennis mag.

http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/19766186-L.jpg Okay. He's using machines. That's why his body's so asymmetrical. He should probably start working out with free weights more, try to get his right arm to catch up. There are health risks to being so lop-sided.

Paul_G
05-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Tennis D Id go ahead and make your tennis steds joke as from someone who has spent many years bodybuilding alongside playing tennis, dieting correctly and being around many gym friends who are regular steroid users I find it very hard to believe someone can keep that sort of size with so much cardiovascular exercise, and its ridiculous cardio in reality slightly more than your average HIIT carido on the treadmill for 45 mins.

Same can be said for tons of the players on the tour such as Gambill, Lopez, Ginepri etc etc.

I wouldnt dare make accusations ;) but Im sure anyone who knows about how easy it is to inject the gear into one thigh its as easy to inject another something into the other thigh to hide it!

This could be the start of a new debate on how many professional athletes truly are on 'helping hands' for their sports haha! What a bold post for only my second!!!!

K!ck5w3rvE
05-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Federer doesn't have a muscle bound body, but he hits a tennis ball better than anyone else.

Not at RG.....

VamosRafa
05-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I was archiving some Spanish translations, and this is where I saw the recent item about his regimen:

*What defects do you have to eliminate to improve?

Rafa: Especially my serve and short backhand. Oh and I do have to make my shots more accurate.

*To what do you attribute your succes?

Rafa: Especially to work. I practise tennis for 3 and a half hours every day and work out for an hour and a half. Obviously, my natural talents also have an influence, something of a genetic origin. My coach, my uncle Toni, has had a great influence on me.

Full article:

http://www.vamosrafael.com/articles/art344.html