PDA

View Full Version : U.S.-made Head Prestiges

Tennis Man
02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I was looking at my Prestiges and noticed some differences in lettering and decals between them.

The earlier 1984 TXE (first from the top) is darker grey carbon-fiber graphics and didn't have any decals on the frame, only butt cap says "Made in USA".

The later version (second from the top) is lighter grey color and does have a decal. Its butt cap also reads "Made in USA".

All TXP frames have "Frame Austria, made in USA" written on the butt cap and "Designed by Head USA" on the side. Probably this means that the racquets were actually manufactured in Austria but finished in the U.S.

The earlier TXPs (3 on the bottom) have decals saying "Unique tubular ... construction" while the later (pictured below and made before U.S. Prestige Pro) has the same decal saying "EXCLUSIVE HEAD ..." and simply "Head USA".

The difference between the latter is that PP was entirely made int he USA at a Colorado plant ... (just like TXE?)

Here is the question: where the TXP were actually made and why there, if they were produced after TXE and before Prestige Pro USA (both made in USA)?

http://i50.tinypic.com/vaww0.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2d802w.jpg

chancep2120
02-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Those TXP's look fantastic

Tennis Man
02-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Those TXP's look fantastic

1/4 thanks to you :)

vsbabolat
02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
The TXE came out in 1984. The TXP came out in teh Fall of 1986.

retrowagen
02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
The TXE really wasn't a Prestige, although it paved the way for that lineage. These were made in 1984-1985, all in Colorado.

The TXP and first version of Prestige Pro came out in 1986. In 1986-1987, the TXP was for the North American market; Prestige Pro was for the rest of the world. For 1988, the TXP name and graphic was dropped and the model rationalized to Prestige Pro for the entire globe. Evidently, both Colorado and Kennelbach had the TXP/Prestige Pro mould in the 1986-1987 time span, although Head USA was ramping down production of tennis gear, in advance of closing down the US factory altogether. There were undoubtedly some internal issues in the organization (that likely none of us know about) that led to TXP frames being laid up and molded in Austria and then being shipped to USA to finish (paint, collar, butt cap, grip, grommet). I have seen other Pro models from the same time span (Graphite Pro, Comp Pro) with similar Made in USA/Frame Austria butt cap labels. It should also be borne in mind that the USA had some strange customs and trade tax issues between itself and many European countries in the 1980's. It may have been cheaper for Head to produce the finished product (for USA consumption) in this way.

Tennis Man
02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
The TXE really wasn't a Prestige, although it paved the way for that lineage. These were made in 1984-1985, all in Colorado.

The TXP and first version of Prestige Pro came out in 1986. In 1986-1987, the TXP was for the North American market; Prestige Pro was for the rest of the world. For 1988, the TXP name and graphic was dropped and the model rationalized to Prestige Pro for the entire globe. Evidently, both Colorado and Kennelbach had the TXP/Prestige Pro mould in the 1986-1987 time span, although Head USA was ramping down production of tennis gear, in advance of closing down the US factory altogether. There were undoubtedly some internal issues in the organization (that likely none of us know about) that led to TXP frames being laid up and molded in Austria and then being shipped to USA to finish (paint, collar, butt cap, grip, grommet). I have seen other Pro models from the same time span (Graphite Pro, Comp Pro) with similar Made in USA/Frame Austria butt cap labels. It should also be borne in mind that the USA had some strange customs and trade tax issues between itself and many European countries in the 1980's. It may have been cheaper for Head to produce the finished product (for USA consumption) in this way.

Thanks as always for the valuable info. The name really doesn't mean a thing. There is a Prestige out there with a boxed beam that has nothing to do with Prestige Pro either but TXP looks, feels and plays just like Prestige Pro no matter what the name is. My wife loves them too and appropriated one of mine right away (women love light colored frames). :)

vsbabolat
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Also I forget to say that the TXE was part of the Edge Series........

owen7463
02-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry for slightly digressing on this thread. I am new to this site as I am making a 25 year prodigal return to the sport. When I was a kid I bought a Head TXE and loved it. I have started using it again. It was working pretty well up until last weekend when I played with a heavy hitter. I guess years of garage/attic storage (overheat-freeze-overheat-freeze) took their toll as the grommets kept splitting and falling off.

I have been reading other threads and am impressed with the # of purists who go to the trouble of bringing these old racquets to life. I am not as ambitiious.

So the quandry is that I want to replace the TXE with a racquet from today that exhibits its similar qualities (smaller head, good control). What do you folks consider to be closest in comparison to the TXE of today's racquets?

BTW - thanks for all of the threads/comments you have. Reading through them has me really excited to get back into tennis.

vsbabolat
02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Sorry for slightly digressing on this thread. I am new to this site as I am making a 25 year prodigal return to the sport. When I was a kid I bought a Head TXE and loved it. I have started using it again. It was working pretty well up until last weekend when I played with a heavy hitter. I guess years of garage/attic storage (overheat-freeze-overheat-freeze) took their toll as the grommets kept splitting and falling off.

I have been reading other threads and am impressed with the # of purists who go to the trouble of bringing these old racquets to life. I am not as ambitiious.

So the quandry is that I want to replace the TXE with a racquet from today that exhibits its similar qualities (smaller head, good control). What do you folks consider to be closest in comparison to the TXE of today's racquets?

BTW - thanks for all of the threads/comments you have. Reading through them has me really excited to get back into tennis.

Welcome to TW, A couple of racquets that are sold today that I would suggest are the HEAD YouTek Prestige Mid, the Volkl PowerBridge 10 Mid, and the Dunlop AeroGel 4D 100. Demo them and pick the one you like the best........

Best of Luck to you in your search to replace your TXE.

galain
02-16-2011, 10:04 AM
owen

I'd also think about the PK Black Ace in 93 head size.

And your TXE experience is not unique (sadly!). The grommets of mine just all shook loose in the space of a week a few years ago. I was devastated!

Tennis Man
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM

I honestly don't think there is a "modern" equivalent of TXE, anything similiar in size and feel. Just like in case of Wilson Ultra II. The suggestions are very good though. Try Youtek series. They are amazing racquets.

As for the grommets, you can use pieces from other sets. It's been done and I have a few TXE with "assembled" grommets.

owen7463
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Agreed. I have enjoyed reading the cult-like appreciation for this racquet because it confirmed my loyalty to it. The guys who strung it for me last month had quite a laugh about a fella sticking with it. Then one of the pros, who is younger than the racquet, tried it out and was surprised how much he liked it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

retrowagen
02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I have one solitary TXE left, in really good condition and with good original grommets and bumper. It's fun to take it out for a hit from time to time (ironically, I also have an Ultra 2 that also comes out to play once in a while, for fun). True, there is nothing on the market presently quite like it.

TXE's with good grommets do come up for sale once in a while. I might be persuaded to sell mine to a good home, if it'll be used often and the offer is right.

owen7463
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Agreed. I have enjoyed reading the cult-like appreciation for this racquet because it confirmed my loyalty to it. The guys who strung it for me last month had quite a laugh about a fella sticking with it. Then one of the pros, who is younger than the racquet, tried it out and was surprised how much he liked it.

Tennis Man
02-16-2011, 11:40 AM

One more thing, there are plenty of Graphite Edges on **** real cheap ($9-$39). They play like buttah. If I were you, I would build myself a nice inventory of them.

The downside is: stringing will cost you more than the racquets themselves. :)

Keifers
02-17-2011, 04:27 AM
owen

I'd also think about the PK Black Ace in 93 head size.

And your TXE experience is not unique (sadly!). The grommets of mine just all shook loose in the space of a week a few years ago. I was devastated!
I second galain's suggestion. The BA 93 is one of the sweetest-hitting racquets I've played -- ever. Solid, crisp response with excellent feel. It's a tad too light -- I would love a version that is 10-15 grams heavier, the extra weight evenly distributed.