View Full Version : Composite racquets without graphite

proracketeer
02-14-2010, 03:01 AM
List them and share your opionions.

1. Maxpower Kevlar
2. Maxpower 28 Kevlar

dje31
02-16-2010, 05:41 PM
PDP were mostly fiberglass, IIRC. Early Yamaha FG-30?

vsbabolat
02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Voelkl Zebra
Head Arthur Ashe Competition, Competition 2, and LC.

coachrick
02-16-2010, 10:09 PM
PDP were mostly fiberglass, IIRC. Early Yamaha FG-30?

As well, the Yamaha YFG 20 and YCR models(similar to AA Comp from Head).

joe sch
02-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Bancroft produced some of the first non-graphite composite rackets, when they reinforced several of the wood models with both fiberglass and steel, FRS IIRC. Some of these models included the Executive and the Competition. Great playing woodys with some nice extra power !

coachrick
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Bancroft produced some of the first non-graphite composite rackets, when they reinforced several of the wood models with both fiberglass and steel, FRS IIRC. Some of these models included the Executive and the Competition. Great playing woodys with some nice extra power !

Yep, the FRS(fibreglas reinforced w/steel) and the ESC)epoxy steel composite) had overlays of the composite material along the lower hoop/shoulder area. Unfortunately, they didn't bond very well(I imagine the flex characteristics differed too much) and we ended up repairing quite a few(to little effect, I'm afraid).

Don't Let It Bounce
02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
My first "real" racquet was a Yamaha YFG-30, all fiberglass, that I saved up all summer to buy. Mine was black & white; there was red & white version, too.

N.C. State's John Sadri made it to the 1978 NCAA Finals, where he lost in a 4-hr battle to a Stanford freshman named McEnroe, serving bombs with a YFG-30. He started a pretty good pro career with it before switching in the early 80's to a midsize Yamaha.

coachrick
02-19-2010, 07:17 PM
My first "real" racquet was a Yamaha YFG-30, all fiberglass, that I saved up all summer to buy. Mine was black & white; there was red & white version, too.

N.C. State's John Sadri made it to the 1978 NCAA Finals, where he lost in a 4-hr battle to a Stanford freshman named McEnroe, serving bombs with a YFG-30. He started a pretty good pro career with it before switching in the early 80's to a midsize Yamaha.

Yep, I believe Sadri's only regular season loss was to our USC(the original) #1 Chris Mayotte(older brother to Tim). We strung a few of the red/white YFG 30s for the NC State team when they visited Columbia, SC.

As I recall, there was a total of two points separating Sadri and Mac in the NCAA singles final. 157-155 or something like that.

Remember the whistling whoosh sound the YFG and YGR series rackets made? Drove some people nuts...others swore it added to the racket's power! We sold quite a few of those sticks but nobody on the USC(the original) team switched to it. I think NC State had 2 or 3 guys using them.

tennis005
02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
I have a Volkl Reflex, I dont think there is any graphite in it.