PDA

View Full Version : Trying to cut weight. Can you rate my diet/workout plan?

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Meal 1 (Breakfast): Either a combination of Cereal, banana, and cup of yogurt OR eggs, banana, yogurt
Meal 2 (snack 1): Apple and handful of almonds
Meal 3 (lunch): Turkey sandwich with whole grain bread, yogurt, banana/apple
Meal 4 (pre workout): A little bit of oatmeal, some fruits
Meal 5 (post workout): Whey protein shake, 3 spoons of peanut butter, blueberries
Meal 6 (dinner): Whatever mom makes. Usually a combination of chicken and soup.

As for the workout:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday = weight training
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = HIIT

My goal is to burn off all the fat that I have right now to get lean. To be quite honest I'm not fat or chubby. I just have somewhat of a gut and a bit of unwanted fat on my chest, arms, and legs. So for me it's not about drastic weight loss, but to minimize that flab to see my muscles. I figure if I do this program for about 2-3 months I have my ideal body.

Thanks.

Vyse
02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Cut out the peanut butter after your workout. Way too much fat for that time. Drink chocalete milk along with your whey than. Try not to eat too many carbs at dinner time. You may want to cut out some of your fruit later in the day, too. I don't think its necessary. Right before bed or around 9 or so at night, have cottage cheese or maybe one spoonful or peanut butter (3 is too much at any time). I think your workout routine looks great (Just wondering where your tennis is...).

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Cut out the peanut butter after your workout. Way too much fat for that time. Drink chocalete milk along with your whey than. Try not to eat too many carbs at dinner time. You may want to cut out some of your fruit later in the day, too. I don't think its necessary. Right before bed or around 9 or so at night, have cottage cheese or maybe one spoonful or peanut butter (3 is too much at any time). I think your workout routine looks great (Just wondering where your tennis is...).

Tennis is now a Sunday hobby. With school and work I hardly have the time to devote myself to serious practice. I just have a very busy schedule. Wake up early, head off to school, hit the gym right after, then go home and do homework. I suppose next semester I'll take less classes so I'll have more time to play a sport. Until then I just want to get in shape. Thanks for the tips though.

SlapShot
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I would add in some veggies - fruits are high in sugars (good sugars, but sugars nonetheless). Spinach is superb, and actually makes for a tasty salad.

IMO, the carb intake is too high and the protein intake is too low. I eat closer to a 40/40/20 diet myself (roughly 180g each of protein and carbs, 40g of fat), and have leaned out considerably in the past 3-4 months.

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I would add in some veggies - fruits are high in sugars (good sugars, but sugars nonetheless). Spinach is superb, and actually makes for a tasty salad.

IMO, the carb intake is too high and the protein intake is too low. I eat closer to a 40/40/20 diet myself (roughly 180g each of protein and carbs, 40g of fat), and have leaned out considerably in the past 3-4 months.

Without bombarding me with numbers, what food would you recommend that I eat so that I don't have a surplus of carbs/deficiency of protein?

Are these proportions really necessary? If I keep my diet the way it is right now, will I see any results at all?

SlapShot
02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Without bombarding me with numbers, what food would you recommend that I eat so that I don't have a surplus of carbs/deficiency of protein?

Are these proportions really necessary? If I keep my diet the way it is right now, will I see any results at all?

Either way, you'll see results, as long as you keep your caloric intake below your expenditure rate.

If you can handle dark green veggies, they are rich in nutrition (especially iron), so spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. I eat a lot of carrots, as they are high in fiber, which keeps you feeling full for longer (but they are also higher in sugar, unfortunately).

With regard to protein versus carbs, from what I understand of it, eating more lean protein can keep your body from turning to consuming muscle when in a caloric deficit. This may or may not be correct, it's just what I've read in the past. Obviously, white poultry makes for good lean protein (chicken, turkey). I tend to also take in lean beef at least 3x per week for the additional iron.

cncretecwbo
02-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Cut out the peanut butter after your workout. Way too much fat for that time.

not really

You may want to cut out some of your fruit later in the day, too. I don't think its necessary. Right before bed or around 9 or so at night, have cottage cheese or maybe one spoonful or peanut butter (3 is too much at any time).

not that necessary and 3 is fine for any time.

Topaz
02-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Three tablespoons of PB is roughly 300 calories...pretty calorie dense for anytime of the day.

mike53
02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
You're short about 3 cups per day of vegetables and over by about 2 cups of fruits. You could replace eggs or pb with tofu.

35ft6
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Seems to me like you're eating way too much. And you're not doing enough cardio. But maybe you have a fast metabolism. Too much fruit if you're trying to cut fat. Maybe one apple or banana a day, and substitute the other servings of fruit with a green salad or carrots.

Vyse
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
not really

not that necessary and 3 is fine for any time.

If he is doing a legit workouts, putting 25 g of fat in his body will slow down the synthesis of carb/protein intake that is needed to replenish his body by way too much. 3 tablespoons is 300 calories and if he is trying to burn fat, that will probably be too much especially with everything else he is eating. Sticking with 1 or 2 tbsl is the way to go.

And yes, you need to eat veggies. If you are hungry, eat as many leafy vegetables as you want. Using vinegar as your salad dressing is a healthy options if you start eating a lot of salads which you should do.

dave333
02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Or just completely forget diet and swim/run like a total mofo!

35ft6
02-15-2010, 03:48 PM
^ Diet is more important than exercise in my opinion. And in the opinion of researchers, but I guess there will always be exceptions depending on your metabolism. But most people don't have the time or physique to train like Michael Phelps.

Basically, you can run for an hour, then get back all the calories you burned in 10 minutes of crazy eating. And then some. In tests, exercise and a restrictive diet is ideal, but when people JUST exercised or JUST restricted calories, the people who ate less lost way more weight.

The trick is to not reward yourself for exercising by eating extra.

GRANITECHIEF
02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Darn, i been doing it all wrong. I usually reward myself with lots of food and beer!!

35ft6
02-15-2010, 04:00 PM
^ Yeah, me too. I've lost a lot of weight while drinking like a rock star. The drinking itself is fine, with me at least, but it's the drunken eating. When I can control that, the weight can and will fly off.

It's a quality of life issue. Drinking is critical to a good life.

charliefedererer
02-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Meal 1 (Breakfast): Either a combination of Cereal, banana, and cup of yogurt OR eggs, banana, yogurt
Meal 2 (snack 1): Apple and handful of almonds
Meal 3 (lunch): Turkey sandwich with whole grain bread, yogurt, banana/apple
Meal 4 (pre workout): A little bit of oatmeal, some fruits
Meal 5 (post workout): Whey protein shake, 3 spoons of peanut butter, blueberries
Meal 6 (dinner): Whatever mom makes. Usually a combination of chicken and soup.

As for the workout:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday = weight training
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday = HIIT

My goal is to burn off all the fat that I have right now to get lean. To be quite honest I'm not fat or chubby. I just have somewhat of a gut and a bit of unwanted fat on my chest, arms, and legs. So for me it's not about drastic weight loss, but to minimize that flab to see my muscles. I figure if I do this program for about 2-3 months I have my ideal body.

Thanks.

This plan is tremendous.

And it is great to have a plan.

But as time goes by, you will modify your food intake and level of the workouts as you get stronger/faster.

So the best is to get started, and you will be clever enough to modify the details as time goes by. And post back here as necessary.

Good luck!

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
So I need to cut down on fruits and peanut butter, and eat more vegetables?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

pro_staff
02-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Yikes. HIIT 3 times a week is pretty tough. Best of luck!

SlapShot
02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I would work in some other sort of running/cardio, and drop the HIIT to 1-2 times per week. If done right, the HIIT will take a LOT out of you, and it'd be good to have at least 1 "active recovery" day per week. For me, it's an hour on a stationary bike at 65%-70% of my MHR.

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
I would work in some other sort of running/cardio, and drop the HIIT to 1-2 times per week. If done right, the HIIT will take a LOT out of you, and it'd be good to have at least 1 "active recovery" day per week. For me, it's an hour on a stationary bike at 65%-70% of my MHR.

I've done HIIT quite a lot several years ago. It's an exercise that I need to do consistently in order to make progress. I've done HIIT once, twice, even three times a week. I saw the most significant results with 3 times per week.

Baselineg
02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Good workout plan, i pretty much do the same thing except on cardio days i do footwork drills wind sprints rowing and lots of stretching at least untill leagues start then itll be more swimming HIIT 3 hours on court and bikram yoga when it gets hot.

good luck.

10/10

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not worried so much about the workout plan as I am about the diet. It's all about the diet. I want it flawless

decades
02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
^ Diet is more important than exercise in my opinion. And in the opinion of researchers, but I guess there will always be exceptions depending on your metabolism. But most people don't have the time or physique to train like Michael Phelps.

Basically, you can run for an hour, then get back all the calories you burned in 10 minutes of crazy eating. And then some. In tests, exercise and a restrictive diet is ideal, but when people JUST exercised or JUST restricted calories, the people who ate less lost way more weight.

The trick is to not reward yourself for exercising by eating extra.

this is why most people at the gym are overweight. lots of joggers too. heck take a look at the NYC marathon. Plenty of really overweight people running and walking 26 miles. they think just exercise is enough. it's really diet that is most important.

Baselineg
02-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm not worried so much about the workout plan as I am about the diet. It's all about the diet. I want it flawless

Your diet is good just ditch the peanut butter, and replace it with a salad.

coyfish
02-15-2010, 07:42 PM
After your workout you wan't simple carbs. Like white bread / rice. You need to eat a good meal about 45 min after your workout and a slab of peanut butter won't cut it. Cut the carbs past 8pm or so.

The diet depends on you. Seems like you have a good foundation and everyone is giving good advice. Just watch the mirror / scale and aim for gradual goals each week. If you lose too much it means your intake is too low and losing mostly water.

robJAR
02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
I pretty much agree with everyone, especially the peanut butter part. I myself am trying to lose some bodyfat in preparation for my college's tennis season, and i'm going hard at the gym, and at home. It's hard going on a diet when your parents cook home-made meals every day, especially for dinner when i get home from the gym. :(

Just a suggestion.. Try not to look at your weight every day, perhaps once a week or something. I've known people that when they start to see the number go down after 3 days, they ease up on the diet and end up getting the original weight they started with.

-robJAR

ogruskie
02-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Does it really make sense to look at the scale though? Weight training should build muscle, while the HIIT should burn fat. So wouldn't the numbers be....funky? I think what matters is how you look in the mirror...

35ft6
02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
From a Yahoo article:1) Weigh yourself daily

Why It Works: Weekly weigh-ins are a staple of many popular weight loss programs, but some studies show that daily weighing can be key to lasting weight loss. When researchers at the University of Minnesota monitored the scale habits of 1,800 dieting adults, they found that those who stepped on every day lost an average of 12 pounds over 2 years (weekly scale watchers lost only 6) and were less likely to regain lost weight. Step on the scale first thing every morning, when you weigh the least. Expect small day-to-day fluctuations because of bloating or dehydration, but if your weight creeps up by 2% (that's just 3 pounds if you weigh 150), it's time to skip dessert.For me, weighing every day, or almost every day, is better. Actually, for some of the reasons already mentioned, like looking in the mirror, the whole building muscle thing. I hear people talking about actually gaining weight while on a diet and people suggesting that they're gaining muscle and losing fat. Look, unless you're really lifting super hard, most people will be dropping pounds. Even athletes they use for weight loss commercials, those guys start lifting hard and losing fat, and they end up losing weight overall.

Measuring your waistline and weighing yourself will give you hard, indisputable numbers. Otherwise, you'll be somebody who feels "different" and assume the plan is working. Will some people step on the scale and decide they can eat something nuts? It's happened to me, but more often it inspires me to keep the momentum going, it's hard proof that the deprivation and exercise is paying off, which is a great feeling.

There are people who are on diets for months and even years who don't lose any weight, even GAIN weight, and I think it's because they don't step on the scale enough. They're doing that weird math in their head: "I didn't eat breakfast... so I can have a bigger dinner... tomorrow I'll really be strict with myself, tonight I'll finish off all the bad food in the house... why are my pants tighter? probably from increased abdominal muscles from sit ups..."

Anyway, that's just me. Weighing myself every day helps.

sonicare
02-16-2010, 03:19 AM
I have lost close to 20 pounds recently. my best advice wud be to follow a diet that is doable for a length of time. slow and steady wins the race. also, remember this, u r cutting fat, NOT weight. big distinction.

also, if u have the time, go to body building dot com forums and check out the fatloss section.

coyfish
02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
You need to check the scale very consistantly. The mirror is also important so you can "eyeball" how your BF is coming. But thats more long term while the scale tells you immediately how much / little your eating.

You don't want to be losing too much weight too fast or visa versa.

Many people go too hardcore with their diets and end up losing mostly muscle / water while retaining a lot of fat. This is because they go from eating "normally" to eating 1500 calories a day worth of cucumbers and chicken breast. I have been as low as 5% BF and I have been through a couple bulking / cutting cycles. Instead of counting calories like a madman. I use portion sizes to find what I need to eat to maintain my weight. Then I reduce my intake by 1 portion or up the cardio. Watch the scale / mirror to see what happens.

r2473
02-16-2010, 09:49 AM
You need to check the scale very consistantly. The mirror is also important so you can "eyeball" how your BF is coming.

Tape measurements are also useful.

Waist size measure around your waist at the smallest part - stand tall, but do not deliberately suck in your stomach

Iliac measure around where your upper pelvic bones protrude the most (you can feel for them on either side of your waist/hips)

Hips measure around the hips at the maximum protrusion of the buttocks

mike53
02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
So I need to cut down on fruits and peanut butter, and eat more vegetables?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Absolutely. Especially dark green leafy vegetables with high fiber content. Popeye was right, but with so much fresh, pre-washed spinach around there's no need to eat the canned stuff.

ogruskie
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Silly question, but is it ok to eat spinach by itself? I'm too lazy to prepare intricate meals.

SlapShot
02-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Silly question, but is it ok to eat spinach by itself? I'm too lazy to prepare intricate meals.

Absolutely. You may want to toss a light dressing or something on it just to jazz it up a touch. I prefer vinegarettes on spinach myself.

mike53
02-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Same here. I find the prepackaged prewashed baby spinach in the stores these days tastes pretty good. Has a kind of nutty flavor and a crisp feel when you chew it uncooked.

ogruskie
02-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Ugh, something ain't right. It's day 3 of my workout. I've actually gained 2 pounds, despite LOOKING a lot leaner. My upper body is more defined, my gut doesn't bulge out as much. And yet...I weight more. I'm following the exact diet that I have in my original post with a few minor changes. Am I lifting weights that are too heavy or what? What the **** is going on? This is irritating me.

SlapShot
02-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Ugh, something ain't right. It's day 3 of my workout. I've actually gained 2 pounds, despite LOOKING a lot leaner. My upper body is more defined, my gut doesn't bulge out as much. And yet...I weight more. I'm following the exact diet that I have in my original post with a few minor changes. Am I lifting weights that are too heavy or what? What the **** is going on? This is irritating me.

There is no way that 3 days in, there is that significant of a change. Make sure that you are weighing yourself under the same circumstances so that you have a legit comparison (I prefer first thing every morning).

Vyse
02-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Yah, nothing dramatic is going to happen in 3 days like that. If something like that is happening, it sounds like you should be happy about it.

coyfish
02-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I change from day to day. I study a lot and when I have tests sometimes I miss meals and such. Oddly when I don't eat I look like crap in the mirror. When I do eat I look much leaner.

Vyse
02-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Look at yourself in the morning when you wake up and look at yourself at night. You'll probably look a lot leaner in the morning since you are more or less dehydrated... I think that's the reason and I at least do

35ft6
02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Meal 1 (Breakfast): Either a combination of Cereal, banana, and cup of yogurt OR eggs, banana, yogurtRoughly 400 calories? Depending on type of cereal, yogurt, milk, and size of banana.
Meal 2 (snack 1): Apple and handful of almondsAbout 400 calories? Depending on size of apple, but nuts are incredibly dense in calories. a cup of almonds is about 800 calories, so depending on how big your hand is...Meal 3 (lunch): Turkey sandwich with whole grain bread, yogurt, banana/apple500 to 600 calories?
Meal 4 (pre workout): A little bit of oatmeal, some fruitsAssuming a little bit is still about a cup, and not sure what some fruits mean but 400 calories?Meal 5 (post workout): Whey protein shake, 3 spoons of peanut butter, blueberriesA teaspoon of peanut butter is close to 100 calories, and my whey protein is about 120 a scoop, so about 500 calories total?Meal 6 (dinner): Whatever mom makes. Usually a combination of chicken and soup.I'm assuming 500 to 700 calories. Or more depending on the soup and how the chicken is prepared.

You seem to be eating anywhere from 2500 to 3000 calories a day according to this website (http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/). There's some interpretation involved, but I was erring towards the conservative side. Assuming you are 18 years old, about 175 pounds and 5'8", and exercise 5 times a week, you would need about 2500 calories to maintain weight according to this website. (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) For "fat loss" about 2000 calories a day, and for "extreme fat loss" around 1571.

I know you said you made some adjustments, and it's only been 3 days, but you're eating a lot, man. As much as you're eating, I would kind of have to put effort into eating that much and that often. I would shoot for 1500 to 2000 calories a day, cut out a lot of the fruit, much of the yogurt, and definitely the peanut butter, and seriously cut down on the carbs after 3pm or just simply no carbs after 3.

And don't use the mirror. Like somebody said, the way you look is a better gauge when we're talking weeks and months. People imagine all sorts of crazy things looking in the mirror. Weigh yourself, but realize there will be slight fluctuation even if you're doing well. Measure yourself once a week. And eat a whole lot less. I don't even know what you drink. My god. If you're drinking soda or fruit juices or milk, that could be an extra 500 calories a day easy.

coyfish
02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Roughly 400 calories? Depending on type of cereal, yogurt, milk, and size of banana.
About 400 calories? Depending on size of apple, but nuts are incredibly dense in calories. a cup of almonds is about 800 calories, so depending on how big your hand is...500 to 600 calories?
Assuming a little bit is still about a cup, and not sure what some fruits mean but 400 calories?A teaspoon of peanut butter is close to 100 calories, and my whey protein is about 120 a scoop, so about 500 calories total?I'm assuming 500 to 700 calories. Or more depending on the soup and how the chicken is prepared.

You seem to be eating anywhere from 2500 to 3000 calories a day according to this website (http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/). There's some interpretation involved, but I was erring towards the conservative side. Assuming you are 18 years old, about 175 pounds and 5'8", and exercise 5 times a week, you would need about 2500 calories to maintain weight according to this website. (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) For "fat loss" about 2000 calories a day, and for "extreme fat loss" around 1571.

I know you said you made some adjustments, and it's only been 3 days, but you're eating a lot, man. As much as you're eating, I would kind of have to put effort into eating that much and that often. I would shoot for 1500 to 2000 calories a day, cut out a lot of the fruit, much of the yogurt, and definitely the peanut butter, and seriously cut down on the carbs after 3pm or just simply no carbs after 3.

And don't use the mirror. Like somebody said, the way you look is a better gauge when we're talking weeks and months. People imagine all sorts of crazy things looking in the mirror. Weigh yourself, but realize there will be slight fluctuation even if you're doing well. Measure yourself once a week. And eat a whole lot less. I don't even know what you drink. My god. If you're drinking soda or fruit juices or milk, that could be an extra 500 calories a day easy.

I don't agree at all. You can't use a website to determine what you need to eat to maintain. Thats EXTREMELY relative. Its based on age, metabolism, activity, food intake, etc. I eat 3600 calories to maintain and I had to eat 6K to bulk. On my cutting cycles I was eating about 3K respectively.

No carbs after 3 . . . LOL is all i have to say to that. Especially since your working out in the afternoon. No carbs after about 7 is the most extreme I would go.

Youre going to look at yourself in the mirror regardless so saying thats good / bad is pointless. Buy a set of BF calipers and learn how to take measurements. It doesn't matter how qualified you are to take them as long as you are consistant. Make sure you take your measurements in the morning.

Counting calories will drive you crazy. Go by portion sizes. A fist size is one portion. Find how many you need to maintain and subtract one for starters. Last thing you wan't to do is eat too little. Thats a recipe for water / muscle / motivation loss.

35ft6
02-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't agree at all.You don't agree with anything I posted?You can't use a website to determine what you need to eat to maintain. Thats EXTREMELY relative.It's a tool, and it's only as useful as how you use the information. Regardless, way more reliable for more people than personal anecdotes.Its based on age, metabolism, activity, food intake, etc.I put that into the calculator.I eat 3600 calories to maintain and I had to eat 6K to bulk. On my cutting cycles I was eating about 3K respectively.Like you said, it's relative. You have a very high metabolism. I wouldn't use your own personal experience and start suggesting to everybody to consume 3600 to maintain their current weight.No carbs after 3 . . . LOL is all i have to say to that. Especially since your working out in the afternoon. No carbs after about 7 is the most extreme I would go.Yeah, it's a bit extreme. It's what Miletich makes his fighters do, but probably not sustainable for average person.Youre going to look at yourself in the mirror regardless so saying thats good / bad is pointless.My point is don't use that as the gauge of your success. A scale and measuring tape are way more reliable.Counting calories will drive you crazy.How do you know you were eating 3600 then 6000 calories a day?

It doesn't have to drive you crazy, and it's a lot more effective than going by feel.Go by portion sizes. A fist size is one portion.Not a bad rule of thumb for lean protein, but measuring portion and keeping track of calories aren't mutually exclusive.

The single most frustrating thing is going through all the stress, thought, and energy of dieting and exercise and seeing no results. Even becoming fatter, which is pretty common. When people see results, they think the effort is well worth it. Most diets don't work because people rely too much on "feel" and believe that there really is a way to get into shape without going hungry and without exercising. Look, it's a pain, but it gets easier, a habit, if you stick with it. I would rely on measuring tape, scale, portion control, and calories. Don't beat yourself up if you mess up every now and then. Actually, this is more general advice, the OP sounds like he's kind of already in shape but wants to get into really good shape.

coyfish
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
You don't agree with anything I posted?It's a tool, and it's only as useful as how you use the information. Regardless, way more reliable for more people than personal anecdotes.I put that into the calculator.Like you said, it's relative. You have a very high metabolism. I wouldn't use your own personal experience and start suggesting to everybody to consume 3600 to maintain their current weight.Yeah, it's a bit extreme. It's what Miletich makes his fighters do, but probably not sustainable for average person.My point is don't use that as the gauge of your success. A scale and measuring tape are way more reliable.How do you know you were eating 3600 then 6000 calories a day?

It doesn't have to drive you crazy, and it's a lot more effective than going by feel.Not a bad rule of thumb for lean protein, but measuring portion and keeping track of calories aren't mutually exclusive.

The single most frustrating thing is going through all the stress, thought, and energy of dieting and exercise and seeing no results. Even becoming fatter, which is pretty common. When people see results, they think the effort is well worth it. Most diets don't work because people rely too much on "feel" and believe that there really is a way to get into shape without going hungry and without exercising. Look, it's a pain, but it gets easier, a habit, if you stick with it. I would rely on measuring tape, scale, portion control, and calories. Don't beat yourself up if you mess up every now and then. Actually, this is more general advice, the OP sounds like he's kind of already in shape but wants to get into really good shape.

I never told him to eat a lot or a little. I never suggested that he ate 3600 calories. I was making a point that everyone is different. I told him to find what he needs to maintain (since everyone is different) and reduce his intake by a portion size. Then watch the changes and move on from there.

I didn't agree with your advice regarding how little to eat and how "extreme" fat loss was cutting back the caloric intake significantly. That is not true. Same with cutting carbs after 3pm. When you cut you should increase your protein intake while SLIGHTLY decreasing your carb intake. If you do a low carb diet you will most likely feel weak and lose lots of water / muscle weight. Sure you will lose some fat but its not the best way. Balanced meals are always important.

I have done a bodybuilding competition and been as low as 5% BF. I have been through several cutting cycles so I know what it takes to lose BF. The same rules apply whether you are at 30% BF or 5% BF.

I have personally trained people and the biggest mistake many people make is going for HUGE changes too fast. They decide to lose fat and they eat basically no carbs and do tons of cardio. In the gym they lose strength. They feel weak and it leads to desperation and loss of motivation. That is why most diets dont work. Many diets rely on extremes. Do lots of this and little of that . . . That is a recipe for failure.

35ft6
02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I was making a point that everyone is different.Yeah, we know that. So you think those websites are useless?I didn't agree with your advice regarding how little to eat and how "extreme" fat loss was cutting back the caloric intake significantly. That is not true.What part of that is "not true?" What's there to disagree with? Yes, in fact, extreme weight loss would entail drastically cutting calories. I didn't tell him he had to do that.Same with cutting carbs after 3pm. When you cut you should increase your protein intake while SLIGHTLY decreasing your carb intake.I also suggested decreasing carbs, too. And I agree that cutting carbs in the evening might be excessive.I have personally trained people and the biggest mistake many people make is going for HUGE changes too fast. They decide to lose fat and they eat basically no carbs and do tons of cardio. In the gym they lose strength. They feel weak and it leads to desperation and loss of motivation. That is why most diets dont work. Many diets rely on extremes. Do lots of this and little of that . . . That is a recipe for failure.That's fine. I agree. If you do a lot of bodybuilding and have a lot of muscles, your metabolism is going to be higher. I'm guessing he's eating too much but I'll wait until he states his age, weight, and height. And I don't think keeping track of calories is a bad thing. A person might think a few glasses of juice or a few spoonfuls of peanut is okay. It's not until somebody points out the calories in such things that seem okay in terms of portion that they might realize why they're not losing weight.

coyfish
02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah, we know that. So you think those websites are useless?What part of that is "not true?" What's there to disagree with? Yes, in fact, extreme weight loss would entail drastically cutting calories. I didn't tell him he had to do that.I also suggested decreasing carbs, too. And I agree that cutting carbs in the evening might be excessive.That's fine. I agree. If you do a lot of bodybuilding and have a lot of muscles, your metabolism is going to be higher. I'm guessing he's eating too much but I'll wait until he states his age, weight, and height. And I don't think keeping track of calories is a bad thing. A person might think a few glasses of juice or a few spoonfuls of peanut is okay. It's not until somebody points out the calories in such things that seem okay in terms of portion that they might realize why they're not losing weight.

You made comments that I didn't agree with. You told him how many calories he should be eating and that he is eating way too much. Maybe he is maybe he isn't. Extreme fat loss doesn't mean cutting back tons of calories. There is no such thing as extreme fat loss. Slow and steady is what its all about. In your most recent post you ammended your previous statement by saying "weight loss" instead of fat loss like you did in your other one. Weight loss and fat loss are two very different things. Sure, cut calories like crazy and you will end up being smaller with excessive bodyfat. Just read up on jenny craig failures. SlicenDicer had a huge post in these boards where he cut back carbs / calories. Me and others kept telling him he was destined for failure but he was a nurse so he already knew it all. Long story short he lost a bunch of water. . . failed. As soon as you start eating all the weight comes right back.

You also said to stop eating or cut back on carbs after 3. That isn't the best advice especially for someone who is active (young kid). Not to mention he is working out in the afternoon most likely. Cutting carbs slightly is one thing but that comment of yours didn't come off that way at all.

When I said portion sizes you have to use a little common sense with it. You can't eat 10 portions of pasta when you should be eating 10 portions of salad and expect to lose weight. The whole goal is to eat the types of meals (clean ones) that you normally eat but measure the amounts in portion sizes. For example for dinner you have 1 portion of steak and 1 portion of veggies. Its very easy to do and just as effective as counting calories which is unecessary unless your getting very cut. Find the amount of each type of food you need to eat.

Don't take it personally. Im not trying to attack you. For some reason people get very offended when they are questioned about nutrition and fitness. I have cut and bulked several times so I know what it takes. Everyone is different but the rules are the same.

SlapShot
02-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Inspired by this thread, and the conversation of spinach, I'm having a baby spinach salad with chicken topped with Newman's Own lime vinegarette. The vinegarette is the perfect complement to the spinach.

35ft6
02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Don't take it personally. Im not trying to attack you. For some reason people get very offended when they are questioned about nutrition and fitness. I have cut and bulked several times so I know what it takes. Everyone is different but the rules are the same.Nah, it's cool. I want to know his height, weight, and age, but I suspect he's eating too much. You say he might be or he might not be, and I suspect he is. And again, the information from the websites, it's a tool. Use it how you wish. It's not a dogmatic statement from God telling you how to eat. And yeah, everybody is different, but everybody is similar too in that when they expend more calories than they consume, they'll lose weight. Again, I'm simply saying I think he might be eating too much.

As for Slice and Dicer, there's millions of way to fail at losing weight. If it was simply a matter of being able to say "I know a person X who failed by doing method Z" then every plan on earth can be called into question.