PDA

View Full Version : Leather Grip

MTennisMan
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
To apply a leather grip, am i supposed to overlap it like synethetic grips?

Shellovic
02-15-2010, 02:00 PM
To apply a leather grip, am i supposed to overlap it like synethetic grips?

Yes, but not much. I like it very very much when it total smooth! Therefore you neet to overlap it about 1mm, just see it yourself.
When you put an overgrip over your leather when it's total smooth, you have an exceptional feel imo..

Jaewonnie
02-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, but not much. I like it very very much when it total smooth! Therefore you neet to overlap it about 1mm, just see it yourself.
When you put an overgrip over your leather when it's total smooth, you have an exceptional feel imo..

uh oh..mine has bulges:)

Shellovic
02-15-2010, 02:28 PM
uh oh..mine has bulges:)

haha, if you like it, then it's no problem. But as i say with a total smooth grip, i have excellent feel.
I have to say, it costs a bit of your time to get it smooth, but thrust me, it's worthed!

Shellovic
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know wich leather grip is the lightest of all?

Does anyone know wich leather is least thick?

And does anyone know how the TW leather is compared to others?

thanks

MTennisMan
02-15-2010, 06:20 PM

when you put on the overgrip to make it smooth, do you follow the line of the leather or do you just barely overlap it

Shellovic
02-16-2010, 12:40 AM
when you put on the overgrip to make it smooth, do you follow the line of the leather or do you just barely overlap it

I overlap my over about 2mm. Because when the grip is smooth and I overlap my overgrip 1.5-2mm, my fingers perfeclty fit between each overlapping..

Icedorb217
02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a question and that is do TW leather grips have adhesive? I dont have a staple gun and i want t a leather grip so yah. And im open to other brands

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
tw leather does has adhesive.
Its the only leather ive used and im really happy about it.
Its cheaper than the rest too

Icedorb217
02-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Cool thnxs Wes

cork_screw
02-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't think you're supposed to overlap it.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
You are supposed to overlap for leather, but only slightly.
If you dont overlap at all, then you get pretty deep ridges in between layers and it feels weird
If you overlap like 1 mm, then you get rid of the ridges and you get a flat grip.

SplitStepper
02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Does anyone know wich leather grip is the lightest of all?

Does anyone know wich leather is least thick?

And does anyone know how the TW leather is compared to others?

thanks

First....you are right about the smoothness. That is a great feeling grip. Also, the TW grips are the BEST grips on the market. You choose the thickness and width. You can't find any lighter and you can't find any thinner, or cheaper. However, for me the additional weight from leather is a good thing.

Shellovic
02-17-2010, 02:23 PM
You are supposed to overlap for leather, but only slightly.
If you dont overlap at all, then you get pretty deep ridges in between layers and it feels weird
If you overlap like 1 mm, then you get rid of the ridges and you get a flat grip.

Totally right!!! I see I said I overlap 2mm, but it has to be 1mm.
For the excact same reason as yours..

Shellovic
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
First....you are right about the smoothness. That is a great feeling grip. Also, the TW grips are the BEST grips on the market. You choose the thickness and width. You can't find any lighter and you can't find any thinner, or cheaper. However, for me the additional weight from leather is a good thing.

Aren't there any lighter grips than TW?
So TW is the to go for according to you?

SirGounder
02-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Smooth is the way to go for me too. The adhesive strip makes a good guide for lining it up just right. I use an overgrip over the leather that is overlapped. If I didn't overlap the leather, I would probably end up with twice as many ridges or really large ones.

I've used Babolat, Pro Kennex, and TW leather grips.
I personally like TW the best. I don't think you can really beat it for the money and the different sizes are really nice too. I can use the thinner grip to decrease my grip size slightly. I've heard some people say the Babolat is softer feeling, but I use an overgrip so I wouldn't know.

I can't comment on the weight because I haven't used different grips on the same racquet. I honestly didn't notice any difference in weight when switching to the leather.