PDA

View Full Version : compression socks

austintennis2005
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
has anyone tried these?
they look really nerdy but i heard they really help to oxygenate the lower legs, i have trouble with my calves cramping so i am interested to hear if anyone has tried these? they are EXPENSIVE!

charliefedererer
02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
has anyone tried these?
they look really nerdy but i heard they really help to oxygenate the lower legs, i have trouble with my calves cramping so i am interested to hear if anyone has tried these? they are EXPENSIVE!

Compression socks will not "oxygenate" the lower legs. Our legs get oxygen only one way: the heart pumps the blood containing the oxygen into the legs. Stockings will not help.
What stockings do is compress the tissues so that the thin walled veins will not stay filled with blood. That is a problem in people with varicose veins who do prolonged standing. But for people with normal veins who are running or walking, the contraction of the leg muscles puts pressure on the veins to keep emtying them, pushing the blood along back to the heart. Thus active people with normal veins do not need compression stockings.

Cramping is a complex and totally separate issue. Probably most cramping results from periods of very high muscle work, above and beyond what that muscle is trained for. Thus the best way to prevent cramping in most is to train harder (realizing there may still be a period where the cramping continues until you can reach a new fitness level).
In addition, dehydration and deficits of sodium and potassium from excess sweating can make it easier to cramp. That's why drinking a Gatorade-like drink with sodium and potassium are important if you are training/competing very hard.

austintennis2005
02-15-2010, 07:53 PM
The times are over where the sole purpose of socks and stockings was to protect feet from blistering. CEP is setting new standards by coming out with the first functional sport sock with a patented pressure flow that provides a scientifically proved increase in blood circulation and a consequent increase in performance.
How does compression increase arterial blood circulation?
Athletes need oxygen O2! And the properties of the cep compression sport socks support the arteries and the supply of oxygen to the musculature:

1. Artery musculature
The musculature of the arterial wall reacts to changes in pressure.

2. Ambient pressure and expansion of the arterial diameter
The special and patented compression of the cep compression sport socks increases the ambient pressure. As a result the musculature in the arterial wall relaxes and a relaxed musculature increases the arterial diameter and consequently the blood flow through the arteries.
Conclusion: Performance Enhancement for the Athlete

mike53
02-16-2010, 11:39 AM
has anyone tried these?

I wear a compression sleeve on my calf sometimes, when it bothers me. But I don't get cramps, it's some other kind of pain. The sleeve cost $20.00 at http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-ZENCSS.html I have looked closely at compression socks, but I'm not sure I could ever get myself to a point where I would spend that kind of money on a pair of socks.

A good friend of mine ran cross country on scholarship for 4 years of college. He always wears the knee high compression socks when he runs.

charliefedererer
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
The times are over where the sole purpose of socks and stockings was to protect feet from blistering. CEP is setting new standards by coming out with the first functional sport sock with a patented pressure flow that provides a scientifically proved increase in blood circulation and a consequent increase in performance.
How does compression increase arterial blood circulation?
Athletes need oxygen O2! And the properties of the cep compression sport socks support the arteries and the supply of oxygen to the musculature:

1. Artery musculature
The musculature of the arterial wall reacts to changes in pressure.

2. Ambient pressure and expansion of the arterial diameter
The special and patented compression of the cep compression sport socks increases the ambient pressure. As a result the musculature in the arterial wall relaxes and a relaxed musculature increases the arterial diameter and consequently the blood flow through the arteries.
Conclusion: Performance Enhancement for the Athlete

I don't believe this hype at all.

Arterial pressure is systemic. It will not be increased by external pressure transmitted from compression locally in the lower legs.

The result of compresssion is decreased flow at the tissue level. By the time blood flow reaches the capillary level where oxygen change occurs, the blood pressure is very much lower than systemic blood pressure. Then, if anything, external compression will decrease blood flow to the tissues.

austintennis2005
02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
well i doubt that respected companies would come out with something that was totally without merit and sell it for around $60 if it was worthless... my guess is that there is something to it. really the only way to truely tell is to try them and see if they make any difference. i was just hoping to get some feedback from folk who have actually tried them before i invest in them... put it another way- i have tried stretching and hydration but my calves still cramp up after 2 sets or so and i havnt heard of any other remedies that are worthwhile.

charliefedererer
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
well i doubt that respected companies would come out with something that was totally without merit and sell it for around $60 if it was worthless...
Companies do it every day.
put it another way- i have tried stretching and hydration but my calves still cramp up after 2 sets or so and i havnt heard of any other remedies that are worthwhile.
Have you trained with high intensity interval training?
Most cramps are due to muscles being overworked. More training usually can solve the problem in tennis. Of course staying hydrated and taking in enough sodium and potassium by using Gatorade-like drinks is also helpful.

azbabolat
02-16-2010, 07:35 PM
There a little too expensive for socks.

Tennis_Monk
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
well i doubt that respected companies would come out with something that was totally without merit and sell it for around $60 if it was worthless... my guess is that there is something to it. really the only way to truely tell is to try them and see if they make any difference. i was just hoping to get some feedback from folk who have actually tried them before i invest in them... put it another way- i have tried stretching and hydration but my calves still cramp up after 2 sets or so and i havnt heard of any other remedies that are worthwhile.

Actually that is how companies make money. Selling something that costs a 1$ to make and then sell it for $60.

I have used a type of compression socks from local store (Modells) and all i know is they sucked.Ofcourse i am one of those guys who feel that a wrist band on the hand can impact my serve and game.

For your cramps , have you tried changing your shoes? your technique?. Sometimes that could be the difference. A few years ago, my Badminton backhand used to be like Tennis backhand(1hbh). Basically i had to work triple hard to hit one badminton backhand while others with good tecnique can hit the backhand with a flick of a wrist. I used to be dead tired after the badminton sessions. Eventually i learned to use wrist and i got better :P

ollinger
02-16-2010, 07:54 PM
These socks sound like the pinnacle of ripoffs. The amount of blood flowing into the legs is already determined when the blood leaves the aorta at the lower abdomen and enters the femoral arteries. Nothing that happens below that point matters a bit. Whether the arteries in the leg are relaxed or not is irrelevant because the blood entering the femoral arteries is essentially all that is left from each heartbeat, with all the arteries higher up on the aorta getting their share first. The socks cannot increase circulation because there isn't any additional blood leaving the aorta at that point.

El Diablo
02-17-2010, 09:01 AM
There's nonsense that sounds vaguely plausible and then there's nonsense that just sounds like nonsense. The OP provides the latter. So increasing the "ambient" pressure around an artery will cause it to relax? Umm, even if that were conceivable, the increased pressure around it would prevent the artery from expanding, so blood flow couldn't possibly increase.

austintennis2005
02-17-2010, 01:27 PM
There's nonsense that sounds vaguely plausible and then there's nonsense that just sounds like nonsense. The OP provides the latter. So increasing the "ambient" pressure around an artery will cause it to relax? Umm, even if that were conceivable, the increased pressure around it would prevent the artery from expanding, so blood flow couldn't possibly increase.

I was OBVIOUSLY quoting the materials from the website- i have no idea if what they are saying is true or not---thats why i posted this- TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE TRIED THEM! if you have not tried them then your conjecture is worthless.

austintennis2005
03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I just played for the first time in compression socks by UnderArmor, it was a VERY tough 3 set match and normally my calves would have been cramping up due to all the running. i am happy to report that my calves felt great and i won the 3rd set going away. i do recommend these for people with cramping issues.