PDA

View Full Version : Federer's grip:Semi-western?

zorg
04-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Some people said that Federer has a semi-western grip. That is strange to me because they are supposed to be bad for low shots, yet he takes all his shots low to the ground while on the rise. Or how he is so good on fast courts like grass, which have low bounces. So one and for all, what grip does he use?

Noelle
05-01-2005, 03:25 AM
It's been said that when Federer himself was asked, he said he didn't really know what grip he uses. Other people say that Federer adjusts his grip somewhat depending on the shot that's coming toward him. Some pics have his grip looking like a semiwestern while other pics make it look like an Eastern. Ergo, his grip might just be an extreme eastern to a mild semiwestern, something like what Agassi uses.

EDIT: I suppose I should note that the above comments are actually distilled from previous discussions of what Federer's grip is.

Rickson
05-01-2005, 05:25 AM
Federer uses the semi western on the majority of his forehands. The sw is not a bad grip for handling low shots, the full western is what gives the grip user trouble. The sw is not extreme enough to prevent an open face shot so unless the ball comes ankle high, don't believe the urban legend about the semi western grip's inability to handle low balls.

Grimjack
05-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Some pics have his grip looking like a semiwestern while other pics make it look like an Eastern. Ergo, his grip might just be an extreme eastern to a mild semiwestern, something like what Agassi uses.

Agree with the evidence, but not the conclusion. Pictorial evidence suggests to me that he uses different grips for different shots.

A random perusal through the google image search would suggest about 90% of his forehands are SW. Not that the google image search archives are a reliable statistical indicator, of course, but probably not completely off the wall, either.

joe sch
05-01-2005, 06:29 AM
It's been said that when Federer himself was asked, he said he didn't really know what grip he uses. Other people say that Federer adjusts his grip somewhat depending on the shot that's coming toward him. Some pics have his grip looking like a semiwestern while other pics make it look like an Eastern. Ergo, his grip might just be an extreme eastern to a mild semiwestern, something like what Agassi uses.
Agree and this is one of the skills that makes Federer better than the rest, his ability to choose grips, strokes, and playing styles based on the competition. This ability is having a true all court game and was a skill found in many of yesteryears champions. Thanks for posting this thread.

bamboo
05-01-2005, 09:16 AM
On tennisplayer.net, Yandell claims Fed has Eastern. As an aside, I prefer tennisone to that site - more frequent updates, less "fluff."

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-01-2005, 09:34 AM
On tennisplayer.net, Yandell claims Fed has Eastern. As an aside, I prefer tennisone to that site - more frequent updates, less "fluff."

None of the stuff at tennisplayer.net is fluff. Tennisone.com is seriously lacking. Besides the work of Doug King, Heath Waters (sometimes...), and as of late, Rhys Thomas, there is nothing of value at tennisone.com. On top of that, tennisone.com was mostly the creation of John Yandell. Most of the footage there was filmed by him! I'm a member to both sites, study tennis a few hours a day, and I can tell you that you're absolutely off base. Absolutely hilarious how ridiculous your statement is, atleast from my standpoint, and anyone else who's seen both sites. Name me one component of tennisplayer.net that is fluff and I'll give you a few dozen examples at tennisone.com. Tennisplayer.net is tennisone.com taken to a much higher level.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Federer uses a grip that's between eastern and semi-western, closer to eastern. However, with his radical hand, arm, and shoulder rotation, on some balls, he can do things previously only the extreme grip players could. This business of multiple grips is just wrong. You may see pictures captured of Federer where the racquet face is closed and it appears he has a close to western grip. However, you'll only see this during his follow through, after a mis-hit has caused the grip to torque in his hand.

Exile
05-01-2005, 02:52 PM
the search box is there for a reason....

try "federer forehand"