PDA

View Full Version : The Slazenger Pro X-1, one of the best racquets ever made?

Slazenger07
02-16-2010, 02:47 AM
For those of you that have hit with it, you know what Im talking about. No other racquet has felt like an extension of my arm as much as this stick, swinging with it just feels so natural, because of this I feel I could put the ball on a dime, the head light balance allows people to generate heavy spin and the overall heavy weight stiffness make it the best racquet Ive ever used for volleys. Never before has a racquet really improved an aspect of my game until I tried this thing, my volleys are soooo much better with this racquet than they are with other sticks.

I could go on all day about how much I love this stick...anybody else with me?

02-16-2010, 09:26 AM
+1, and then some! Huge X1 fan here. Agree 100% about the natural 'extension of arm' feeling this racket has....truly like no other. I'm a 4.5+ and play 50/50 dubs and singles, have hit with/demo'd/owned at least 50 racquets and this is my overall favorite frame.

IMO the X1 has a perfect combination of static weight, balance, SW, maneuverability, power, stability, spin and inherent performance.

Swings lighter but plays heavier than it its specs. Stiff but not harsh due to excellent vibration damping. Nasty spin from 16x18 pattern. Volleys are lights-out. Not the best for a baseliner but it can hang there should you need to.

It has 'lethal' quality about it when you are on your game.

It's better than the original ProBraided and WAY better than the Trinity.

galain
02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Hmmm - I tried it and didn't like it. Perhaps it was the strings or just an off night, but it didn't feel anything other than generic to me. I know 007, you have some fondness for my one of my old sticks - the Volkl C7 Comp - but I gotta say we had a different experience with the X-1. It was going cheap too - that was the reason I took it out to the courts. Could have bought it for $25 - perhaps it was the one that got away?

02-16-2010, 09:49 AM
GALAIN: I've never actually hit a C7 Comp but used to enjoy the C7 Pro (always thought it was better overall than a C10 Pro) but I hit flat and the 18x20 pattern of the C7 was a bit of a liability for me especially for my 1-HBH Loved it's stability,feel and 'exlusivity' though.

The X1 is well-damped so I prefer a crisp string, usually a wrapped mono like Gosen JC, AK Pro or TNT2 strung at 58. It has a narrow 5 pound tension window of 55-60.

Slazenger07
02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
O so you used the Pro-braided (Henman) as well 007? I thought that stick was awesome until I tried the X-1. I feel like the two are very similar except with the X-1 it is much easier to generate powerful shots, so you get exceptional control with power.

Ive noticed with this racquet that one or two pounds tension change seems more drastic than it does with other frames. I play an all-court game but I really like the way the X-1 handles from the baseline even though that is generally most people's knock on it. I have so much control over my shots. This racquet is so spin friendly, and with textured strings the amount of spin on my shots is crazy many times, and playing mostly doubles I get to make full use of this racquet's strength, volleys.

Why Slazenger is not a more popular brand in the States is a mystery to me.

love it! love it! love it!

courtking
02-16-2010, 02:20 PM
It's a great racket but not the best racket ever made.. I would say nice racket for volley.. i place it above the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 at the net.. Somehow I like the X1 (blue one) better than the black & white one..

Slazenger07
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
By black and white one you mean the Original Pro-Braided? The X-1 is far superior to this one imo.

jorel
02-16-2010, 07:04 PM
better than the vt98 pro ?

02-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I have an original black & white now along with two X1's. IMO the X1 is everything the B&W should be. The B&W is still a good racquet but the X1 is better in every respect.

I also have a 330g Fischer VT98 Pro and it is a close second place for me after the X1. This is the same frame as a red/silver Pro 1, but is not the same as the black/red/white Pro 1 sold after the red/silver version - those were 320g and did not have ceramic fiber in the layup. The only thing I prefer about the Fischer is the impact feel: the 'thunk' of a Vacuum Technic Fischer is absolutely unique and (IMO) unsurpassed. The specs of the X1 are perfect for me and those of the VT98 a bit less so (less HL) but I play it almost as well but am addicted to the 'feel'.

galain
02-16-2010, 10:05 PM
GALAIN: I've never actually hit a C7 Comp but used to enjoy the C7 Pro (always thought it was better overall than a C10 Pro) but I hit flat and the 18x20 pattern of the C7 was a bit of a liability for me especially for my 1-HBH Loved it's stability,feel and 'exlusivity' though.

Oops - my bad!

The X1 is well-damped so I prefer a crisp string, usually a wrapped mono like Gosen JC, AK Pro or TNT2 strung at 58. It has a narrow 5 pound tension window of 55-60.

That would be the issue then, I think. The test model I tried was strung very tightly - over 62 at a guess. Damn - I want to go and give it another go now!

jorel
02-17-2010, 03:51 AM
i also think the vt98 pro is better from the baseline