PDA

View Full Version : Pro's string tensions

Heroesque
02-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Why does it vary so much?
I heard some people say that Fed strings high 40s to low 50s, but other pros string all the way up to the low 70s

Why does it vary so much?

Danstevens
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
If you took a sample of people who post here and play tennis, you would find the tension varies alot. I know that Jo11yroger strings at about 70lbs and there's a group of users that call themselves the "low tension club" - as you may have guessed, they all string at low tensions. Of course, you also have people who sit in the middle and use pretty average string tensions.

Federer uses one of the smallest rackets (in terms of head size) on the tour so the strings are shorter. This gives a feeling of higher tension so it's understandable that he strings towards the lower end of the spectrum. I believe I'm right in saying that Federer and Nadal are the two ATP players that generate the most top spin on their strokes - if not, they're both well up there. The lower your string tension, the more dwell time you get and so, the more spin you can impart on to the ball. I'm not saying they generate that amount of top just because of their string setups, neither am I saying they chose their setups because of that fact but it could have something to do with it.

On the other hand, we have people like James Blake who string poly strings really tightly (about 70lbs for Blake). I'm pretty sure that Blake is one of the flatter hitters on tour meaning that he doesn't generate that much top spin. He still needs to keep his shots in some how so the stiff string at a really high tension gives him the control he needs.

Of course, even when you look beyond the hitting styles of the pros, there's still personal preference to consider - some people like boardy stringbeds, others like to get a lot of power from their strings.

Jonny S&V
02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
^That's a nice analysis^

In my opinion, the reason that one would string a racquet at a lower tension for spin (other than the dwell time) would be for the slightly higher trajectory that one gets from a lower tension. This allows a player to swing more for topspin/slice and less for depth. Since the tension is lowered, the ball is going to go deeper anyhow, so you can focus on topspin/slice rather than worry about topspin/slice AND depth.

Hope this stimulates some thought on the subject!

brucie
02-17-2010, 08:04 AM
If you took a sample of people who post here and play tennis, you would find the tension varies alot. I know that Jo11yroger strings at about 70lbs and there's a group of users that call themselves the "low tension club" - as you may have guessed, they all string at low tensions. Of course, you also have people who sit in the middle and use pretty average string tensions.

Federer uses one of the smallest rackets (in terms of head size) on the tour so the strings are shorter. This gives a feeling of higher tension so it's understandable that he strings towards the lower end of the spectrum. I believe I'm right in saying that Federer and Nadal are the two ATP players that generate the most top spin on their strokes - if not, they're both well up there. The lower your string tension, the more dwell time you get and so, the more spin you can impart on to the ball. I'm not saying they generate that amount of top just because of their string setups, neither am I saying they chose their setups because of that fact but it could have something to do with it.

On the other hand, we have people like James Blake who string poly strings really tightly (about 70lbs for Blake). I'm pretty sure that Blake is one of the flatter hitters on tour meaning that he doesn't generate that much top spin. He still needs to keep his shots in some how so the stiff string at a really high tension gives him the control he needs.

Of course, even when you look beyond the hitting styles of the pros, there's still personal preference to consider - some people like boardy stringbeds, others like to get a lot of power from their strings.

nice comment and very accurate btw
James blake uses big banger alu power at 62lbs average

Danstevens
02-17-2010, 08:44 AM
nice comment and very accurate btw
James blake uses big banger alu power at 62lbs average

That might be true now, I got the "about 70lbs" from this (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=225645&highlight=James+Blake+French+open) thread; I think the information in there is pretty old now so it's highly possible that he's lowered his tension since then. 31Kg is just over 68lbs so not too far from 70, baring in mind that I said "about".

Jonny S&V, I didn't think of the ball trajectory element to start with but that's certainly a good idea.

Has anyone else got any insights on this subject?