PDA

View Full Version : Dokic to return to Australia?

Yours!05
04-30-2005, 09:41 PM
From Fox Sports News: http://tinyurl.com/8ufvs

John Alexander former Davis Cup hero and current Fed Cup coach wants her back, and has said so before. Not sure who else does.
As the article says: Dokic left Australia in a blaze of acrimony in 2001.

Australia's Fed Cup team of Stosur, Dominikovic, Stewart and Ferguson were annihilated by the Chinese recently, and there has been a spat with Nicole Pratt. JA may be regretting giving Molik the OK to miss Fed Cup this year.

I certainly don't want Dokic back and I think a poll would show most Aussies agree.

aj_m2009
04-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Sorry, but would you mind explaining why you don't want her back in Australia? Is it because of her Father or something else?

Cuzza
04-30-2005, 09:53 PM
I don't want her back either. She said "I'm never playing for Australia again", or something aong those lines. She can live to regret that descision for all I care.

aj_m2009
04-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, if what everyone has posted is true than she was probably forced to say it by her Father. I'm not trying to say it was ok because it wasn't but everyone deserves a second chance IMO. But you all are entitled to your opinions and I respect them.

Yours!05
04-30-2005, 10:35 PM
aj_m2009 -
Given that her father is the cause of all the trouble, Jelena has still had quite a few years since to acknowledge the enormous effort and money which was expended on her here. She was given free coaching by various individuals (at their expense) including, I believe, Tony Roche, which she basically rejected - very ungraciously.
The deal here in our small country is that if Tennis Australia pays for your development, then you represent Australia willingly when called upon to do so.
Philippoussis has also upset the status quo in that way.
I feel she only wants to come back to further avail herself of the goodies available to fix her singles career, certainly not to participate again in Fed Cup.
They renounced their citizenship very gladly, saying what an awful place it was etc., and there's nothing in our laws to say that Damir can't follow closely behind her.
Who needs it?
Having said that, if you search for recent posts on Dokic you'll see the consensus is that she is basically a badly abused child for whom there is a lot of sympathy on that account...

aj_m2009
04-30-2005, 10:57 PM
That's the thing though, if she was as badly abused as people say she was then she may be too afraid to disagree with her father therefore saying stuff that she doesn't actually mean or want. I'm not saying this is the case but it would explain her behavior. And I'm also not Australian so I don't know what all was said but lets just hope that if she does return to Australia that she will leave her father behind.

nswelshman
05-01-2005, 01:24 AM
I am pretty convinced the fear she had of her father (where there have been several reports that she was heavily abused) made her say all those things about Australia, and she was still young at the time - around 18 years, so I am not holding everything she has said against her.

I'm more concerned that she would use the limited resources that so many other 'potentials' could be using- like coaches.

I wouldn't be so concerned though about Damir....If Jelena applies for citizenship, there would be enough grounds to grant it to her. If Damir applied for citizenship, I wouldn't be so sure that he would pass all the necessary requirements.

pound cat
05-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Given our lax immigration policy, there is no doubt in my mind that if one, or the other, or both came to Canada and applied for refugee status (eg fear of Montenegrans? constant rejecton from tennis tournaments? fear of career failure by remaining in Serbia? or any other flimsy reason) they would be allowed to stay.

woodie55
05-01-2005, 04:21 AM
She never renounced her Australian citizenship. She holds dual nationality as she was born in Yugoslavia. Her father still holds Australian citizenship too so there would be nothing to stop both of them and the rest of the family from entering and living in Australia. Personally I am ambivalent as to whether she returns to Australia or not.

Mirage
05-01-2005, 03:24 PM
You know, half of me thinks that Dokic would benefit greatly under Tennis Australia, because they would provide the necessary training and a systematic approach to help her get her game back. Dokic, right now, has no discipline with her life in general. I mean, she says she is not motivated to practice, her physical ability has gone way done, which hurts her greatly because she's never been a great athlete. On the other hand, she sucks so much now that I don't understand why Tennis Australia would want her back? Now Australia has Alicia Molik and Samantha Stosur, both who are climbing the rankings, and they could just focus on new talents, although I haven't heard of any, except for Jasyln Hewitt, but apparently she isn't as talented as her brother. Another girl, plays double-handed on both sides, got a wildcard into the Aus Open a couple years back, but haven't heard much from her either. She lost to JHH 6-0 6-0, which is understandable, but then she played the juniors and lost by the same score. Looks like another unfulfilling talent.....

gugafanatic
05-01-2005, 04:03 PM
jaslyn hewitt?? I hope she becomes more dominant. Never seen her play in a major event.

Haka Boy
05-01-2005, 04:43 PM
She said "I'm never playing for Australia again", or something along those lines.
Yes she may have said that but you have to realize that under the control of her abusive father that was "what she was made to say” I don’t think any of her detractors have any idea or truly understand the “control" factor her insane father had on her and the rest of the family.

I say give the girl a chance. I’ve watched interviews of her and seen the fear and intimidation she displayed in regards to her fathers controlling abuse.

With her finally gaining the maturity to flee her fathers controlling ways was a huge step for her and I’m not surprised she has faulted in her tennis career with the childhood she has had. People only have a perspective of Damirs words, not of Jelena. She was only a child with a European background just following her fathers advice or should I say “rule”

I don’t think the Australian tennis hierarchy would be stupid enough to have Jelena back if she were still under the control of dodo brained Damir. Tennis Australia knew the problem was with her father not Jelena herself.

equinox
05-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Sure i don't blame her for the influence her father had over her at young age.

But i think Jelena dokic is a lost cause. I would not welcome her back in fed cup or playing for Australia.

Let TA focus money and efforts on nurturing a better more efficient grass roots system for Australian tennis.

Yours!05
05-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Sure i don't blame her for the influence her father had over her at young age.

But i think Jelena dokic is a lost cause. I would not welcome her back in fed cup or playing for Australia.

Let TA focus money and efforts on nurturing a better more efficient grass roots system for Australian tennis.
equinox - my thoughts exactly.
and woodie55 - you're quite right. They both do still have citizenship. Didn't check.

Camilio Pascual
05-02-2005, 03:34 AM
From Fox Sports News: http://tinyurl.com/8ufvs
John Alexander former Davis Cup hero and current Fed Cup coach wants her back, and has said so before. Not sure who else does.
As the article says: Dokic left Australia in a blaze of acrimony in 2001.

I certainly don't want Dokic back and I think a poll would show most Aussies agree.

Well, it's your country and all, but I feel she did and said things under duress from her father.
I would hope you not let your decision be dictated by a poll.
Why not let her back in the tennis program with a "No Dad" proviso?

equinox
05-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Well, it's your country and all, but I feel she did and said things under duress from her father.
I would hope you not let your decision be dictated by a poll.
Why not let her back in the tennis program with a "No Dad" proviso?
We'll maybe consider taking her ungrateful sorry fat *** back after she's repaid the few hundred thousand dollars worth of tennis training and support we gave her and has apologised to all the TA, Aus Open officials and coaches. And to the Australian public and media.

Camilio Pascual
05-02-2005, 07:05 AM
We'll maybe consider taking her ungrateful sorry fat *** back after she's repaid the few hundred thousand dollars worth of tennis training and support we gave her

Did you give her the training or was it contracted by her and her father?
If the former, it looks that the best way to recoup the investment would be to take her back.
If the latter, I can understand your attitude, maybe you should sue her?