PDA

View Full Version : Demo Racquets, any difference from the real thing?

pastrami
04-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Are there any difference between the demo racquets and the retail racquets? Found someone welling new demo racquets, wondering if I should pull the trigger and pick it up ...

thanks in adv!

AndrewD
05-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Demo racquets - not 'experimental' frames- are the same as you buy in a store. Often times they have 'demo' written on them but other than that there shouldn't be any difference. If you have a look at TW's site (check under 'liquidation') you'll find they also sell demo frames, unused and at a very good price. Not uncommon practise at all and a good way to get a frame for a very reasonable price.

However, Id only buy the racquet if I knew I liked it, not because it was a good deal.

Roforot
05-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Depending on who's done the demoing, these racquets may have significant wear.
I believe this would mostly be cosmetic and most racquets are made tough enough to last for several years. I would trust TW's evals of their demo or used racquets.
I have heard some ppl comment that they liked the demo more than the new frame.
Perhaps some frames like shoes are best after being "broken in."

AndrewD
05-01-2005, 03:45 AM
Roforot,
true and I do think some racquets feel a bit better when they've been 'played in'. Actually, that's something we do in cricket. You buy a new bat, hit with it in the nets to play it in (soften it a touch) and then use it in a match. Probably not a bad idea in tennis either.

Also, I think that a demo racquet can feel better because the strings are also 'played in'. Instead of being tight they've loosened up quite a bit which is why it often seems you played better with the demo version than when you purchase the new one. If I have a hit and really like the demo I always get them to check the string tension afterwards so I know what felt good at the time. Nothing worse than finding you can't get any zip out of your new frame because you've strung too tight.

If you have a look at the TW demos there are some which have been well used, some which have been used once or twice and some which are brand new and unused. They actually state in the liquidation section what condition it is in so you can get a brand spanking new frame for a great price. All it might have on it is the word demo and might come with a generic string and tension.

nViATi
05-01-2005, 07:02 AM
but if you buy a wilson demo the bumperguard is orange instead of black

pchoi04
05-01-2005, 08:08 AM
I bought a demo racquet once before. I bought a wilson hps 5.0 stretch and I think the description was that it was in 7.5/10 condition and it came as described. Also it was in great playing condition. No cracks and just some cosmetic damage. I got the racquet for $35 and all I had to do was change the grip and the bumper guard.