PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Cube vs Tennis Tutor ProLite vs SP Lite

coolblue123
02-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Tennis Cube and Tutor Prolite are made by the same manufacturer. Can't really tell the difference except it hold less balls, weigh less, and feeds the ball 10 mph slower.

Any real life experience between the two? Is the Tennis Cube made with less quality parts?

Also looking at the SP Lite as well. Very tempting for $599 right now. I am using a Hip Hop right now, and I am pretty impressed with their quality. Don't know about their ball machines.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Bolivian10s
02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
What's a HipHop? A Tennis Ball Machine that forces you to hit a ball and Hop at the same time?

topanlego
02-17-2010, 01:24 PM
SP Hip Hop is a stringing machine.

beernutz
02-17-2010, 01:43 PM
I have had a SP Star for a few days and have put about 6 hours on it so far. I love it and would definitely recommend it to a friend. I also debated getting the Star vs. the Lite and I am SO very glad I went with the Star because of how much I've used the remote. In addition to the convenience factor, one other advantage I see to the remote is that I will need to buy fewer balls because there are fewer 'wasted balls' being thrown when I'm not ready or if I'm interrupted while hitting. I bought Tretorn micro-x pressureless balls, which are also highly recommended, however, they are about $1.50 each so I'd like to buy as few as I can get away with.

beernutz
02-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I forgot to add in my last post that I have previously used a Tennis Tutor Prolite for a couple of weeks when a friend let me borrow his. I would say the build quality of Tennis Tutor and SP are comparable, at least the Star versus the Prolite, but the Star imo is way ahead of the Prolite in terms of overall features and in ball speed.

Since the only differences between the SP Star and Lite are the remote and an additional battery in the Star I would lean toward the Lite over over the Prolite, if choosing between those two. However, as I said above I consider the extra $200 I spent to move from the Lite to the Star some of the best tennis money I've ever spent.

coolblue123
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
thanks beernutz!
I am thinking about buying a used Tennis Tutor. Just afraid that I'll outgrow the speed of the ball. Was the Star pretty big to lug around? The SP machines looks considerably larger then the prolite.

rudester
02-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't know what your playing level is, but i have a tennis tutor plus i've had for 6 years, i'm about a 4.0 player and the ball speed on this machine is such that i have plenty of cushion if i wanted to increase the velocity. ball comes really fast if that is how you like it. I am happy with mine and also really happy withe the support of the folks at tennis tutor, really helpful on the phone.

Icedorb217
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
^^ Silent Partner is also known for its customer service so its kinda of what you want basically

coolblue123
02-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks all. The one I am planning to buy is the ProLite. Several Questions:
1) I think the Battery is dead. Has anyone replaced the battery? If so, do we need to take apart the machine?
2) What is the maintenance needed on these?

Thanks, I am about a 4.0 as well (never got rated though). Good to heard that the tutor shoots balls at a relatively decent pace. My only experience was with one that the machine looks like a cylinder with loads balls in a spiral manner. The pace of the balls were really weak. Was afraid of that I was going to get one of those.

beernutz
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
thanks beernutz!
I am thinking about buying a used Tennis Tutor. Just afraid that I'll outgrow the speed of the ball. Was the Star pretty big to lug around? The SP machines looks considerably larger then the prolite.

The Star and Lite have some decent wheels. I live in a neighborhood where there are two tennis courts less than a 5 minute walk (about 1/4 mile) from my house. This is where I've used my Star so far. The first couple of times I used it, I strapped the Star with a bungee cord to a dolly (handtruck) I own which has big inflated rubber wheels and it was not a problem at all making the 5 minute walk.

The last two times I decided to just use the wheels built into the Star and it was a breeze making the walk too. I wheeled the Star with my bucket of 96 Tretorn balls resting on top and carried my ball retriever and racket to the courts and it wouldn't have been a problem to walk a lot farther than I had to.

I have a friend who has an older model Silent Partner Pro ball machine and the only thing he doesn't like about it is the wheels. When I showed him the Star he immediately pointed out that its wheels looked to be designed better than what is on the Pro.

The Star is a little bigger than the Prolite. It fits in the back of my wife's SUV but there is no way it is going into the trunk of my Miata and it would be a challenge to get into many car trunks I think because of its height. The Prolite I borrowed did fit into the trunk of my old 2000 Honda Accord without a problem.

Ironically the last time I was at my neighborhood courts with my Star this Sunday another guy from the neighborhood showed up with his Tennis Tutor machine, which I believe was the Prolite model, so I was able to get a look at both of them on adjacent courts.

His machine was about the same diameter as mine but was not as tall. Of course on the Prolite you just unfold upward the sides to the ball hopper (this is how the SP Pro model works as well) but on the Star you have a hopper which fits over the top of the machine which you then turn upside down and attach to the thrower part. I can definitely tell you that the Star's hopper is bigger than the Prolite's although I doubt I'd ever fill the Star to capacity because that would probably take over $300 in Tretorn balls.

tpotter
02-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I forgot to add in my last post that I have previously used a Tennis Tutor Prolite for a couple of weeks when a friend let me borrow his. I would say the build quality of Tennis Tutor and SP are comparable, at least the Star versus the Prolite, but the Star imo is way ahead of the Prolite in terms of overall features and in ball speed.

Since the only differences between the SP Star and Lite are the remote and an additional battery in the Star I would lean toward the Lite over over the Prolite, if choosing between those two. However, as I said above I consider the extra $200 I spent to move from the Lite to the Star some of the best tennis money I've ever spent.

The prolite uses smaller motors to keep the machine lighter, so it cannot compete on speed, but it's a great little machine that has a proven track record in the field. I agree the remote is worth every penny on any machine and find it funny people argue so vehemently against the remotes...

BTW I would love to get feedback on these "incredibly cheap relay remotes" Has anyone actually installed one and it worked from 80 feet??

coolblue123
02-21-2010, 07:35 AM
The prolite uses smaller motors to keep the machine lighter, so it cannot compete on speed, but it's a great little machine that has a proven track record in the field. I agree the remote is worth every penny on any machine and find it funny people argue so vehemently against the remotes...

BTW I would love to get feedback on these "incredibly cheap relay remotes" Has anyone actually installed one and it worked from 80 feet??

Hi tpotter: Do you think the prolite and and the Jr is the same machine but different name? Also, I'd like to know which has the bigger motor between the SP lite, ProLite, and Tennis cube?

I wonder will be a fair assumption that the bigger the motor, the longer it'll last?

tpotter
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
prolite and jr is the same name..they just changed it.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess the sp lite has the bigger motor based on the speed claims...

the cube is even smaller than the prolite...not sure if the motor is different...seems like it is based on the speed