PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back?

TDoan
02-17-2010, 05:40 AM
I've always had issues with my lower back so I try to stretch before and after whenever I do anything physical including sports.

Are there any exercises or stretches that will potentially strengthen my back? I have access to a gym now if that opens up any possibilities.

Itagaki
02-17-2010, 05:54 AM
I've always had issues with my lower back so I try to stretch before and after whenever I do anything physical including sports.

Are there any exercises or stretches that will potentially strengthen my back? I have access to a gym now if that opens up any possibilities.

What exactly is wrong with your lower back?

personally i injured mine maybe 4-5 months ago deadlifting with poor technique and it still hurts, and after researching i may have a slight case of lordosis

as for exercises to strengthen your back, back squats i hear will help build up its strength, start low and slowly progress the weights up

consider a program like stronglifts 5x5

Oh, and if it is lordosis, theres a few stretches that can help
http://stronglifts.com/lordosis-why-it-causes-lower-back-pain-how-to-fix-it/

CzechM8
02-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Just a side note before the more knowledgeable members chime in: make sure to also warm up and stretch your legs before you play because lower back pain can also be caused by tight/short hamstrings.

TDoan
02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
What exactly is wrong with your lower back?

personally i injured mine maybe 4-5 months ago deadlifting with poor technique and it still hurts, and after researching i may have a slight case of lordosis

as for exercises to strengthen your back, back squats i hear will help build up its strength, start low and slowly progress the weights up

consider a program like stronglifts 5x5

Oh, and if it is lordosis, theres a few stretches that can help
http://stronglifts.com/lordosis-why-it-causes-lower-back-pain-how-to-fix-it/

I just looked up lordosis and I think you might be right. It normally aches whenever I lift because it's always curving inwards unless i bend my knees and keep my head elevated.

Sometimes when I'm standing or running for too long, it starts to ache a bit as well. I'll give those stretches a try and see if it makes any difference.

charliefedererer
02-22-2010, 07:32 PM
You may want to consider getting checked out medically if you've "always had lower back issues". While indeed most can benefit from doing plenty of exercise to strenghthen the muscles of their lower back, there are some twith structural problems that really shouldn't be doing twisting situps on a slant board and working out in the captain's chair.

bigfoot910
03-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Just so you can be a little more informed when you go speak to your doctor:

The diagnosis of a "lordosis" is not real... The term lordosis is a term that is used to describe the direction of a curve in the spine, nothing more. The lumbar (low back) spine as well as the cervical (neck) spine has a normal lordosis, this is what helps our body absorb impact, stress, etc. If you do not have a lordosis (hypolordosis) or have too much of one (hyperlordosis) then this can become a problem.

The clinical concept that stronglifts.com is trying to describe is known as Lower Cross (or Crossed in some circles) Syndrome, I would just hate for you to talk with a health provider and use the self diagnosis of a lordosis and have them look at you like you were crazy.

The info that is mentioned on the website about Lower Cross Syndrome is pretty good, could always improve. However, internet diagnosis are very suspect; the internet can be a good source of information, but it is not a replacement for a doctor who has had years of training to really find the problem and knows how to fix it. There is nothing worse than finding out 10 years down the road that you let something go because you thought you could fix it, and it becomes something more serious, when in reality, taken care of properly it could be a relatively simple fix.

I would suggest finding a good Chiropractor, PT, or Ortho who can make sure that this is what you are actually suffering from, before you start any treatment regime. Completely agree with CharlieFederer, go get some help, so you don't do anything that could hurt yourself further thinking you are fixing the problem...

JT Corona
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Just a side note before the more knowledgeable members chime in: make sure to also warm up and stretch your legs before you play because lower back pain can also be caused by tight/short hamstrings.

When I was younger I used to bike to the courts and no lower back problems. Many years later I drive to the courts and perhaps a bit tight and stiff when I arrive. Anyhows good point on the hammys ;)

sixftlion
06-05-2010, 07:42 PM
For a tennis player, the plank to strengthen the entire core should be almost on a daily regimen. It works your back, abs, obliques... all core as unity. There a different variations of plank. Even the plain one is really beneficial. Do a few sets of 1 minute, and work it up to 2 minutes or more.
http://tennisfitnesslove.com/?s=plank&search=

Also, like somebody said, stretch your hamstrings, hip-flexors and glutes. Often tight hip flexors cause back problems. Do myofascial release on your quads and hip flexors as well.

http://tennisfitnesslove.com/?s=hip+flexor&search=

Suzanna

Fee
06-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Get a really good 75 cm fitness ball, have it pumped up to the right fullness at your gym, and sit on it as often as possible, even at your office if you can. Really good for strengthening your core and will help your back. Helps your balance too. :)