PDA

View Full Version : PK Golden Ace

tennis005
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I picked one of these beauties up the other day. It is a nice looking wood composite frame. I'll go out and hit with it when I get a chance. Anyone out there enjoy this frame?

coachrick
02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I picked one of these beauties up the other day. It is a nice looking wood composite frame. I'll go out and hit with it when I get a chance. Anyone out there enjoy this frame?

I was a Dunlop guy when the Golden Ace was selling against the Dunlop A-Player. There were a few sold in Atlanta but the graphite composites were more dependable and the Woodies, Edgewoods, A-Players and Golden Aces just couldn't compete. Interesting sticks to knock around with.

tennis005
02-17-2010, 06:24 PM
The wood composites didnt fair as well as the graphites. In the end, graphite rackets won and wood rackets were pushed aside. Imagine if it was the other way around. We'd all be using them. Hahaha

coachrick
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
The wood composites didnt fair as well as the graphites. In the end, graphite rackets won and wood rackets were pushed aside. Imagine if it was the other way around. We'd all be using them. Hahaha

I think one problem was the Prince Woodie. It was a club until they cut a string channel all the way around the hoop and then many of them warped because folks were used to the >70# tensions they used on their other Prince OS frames. That experience soured many dealers on the OS and mid wood composites in general. I agree that wood sticks would be interesting today if they could have held on in terms of demand. ANY wood stick places a premium on hitting near the middle...otherwise, the ball might land on your foot!

tennis005
02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
How long were wood composites around for? I suppose it was somewhere between the wood era and the graphite era.

joe sch
02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
How long were wood composites around for? I suppose it was somewhere between the wood era and the graphite era.

Those midsize woodys like the PK Golden Ace, Snauwaert LaGrande, Prince Woody, and Wilson JK Auto Mid were some of the best woodys ever with the larger heads, open throats, and graphite laminations but were only around for a few years, early 80s before the graphites became dominant. The Golden Ace was actually used by Jose Luis Clerk for a year or so.

tennis005
02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah I see his signature on the frame. Too bad wood composites didn't catch on. They are definitely one of the most interesting classic rackets around.

galain
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a red "Golden Ace" and a golden Golden Ace. The red is heavier and feels more flexible - although in frames that old, I wouldn't read too much into it. Beautiful hits and the paintjob on the Clerc model (the golden Golden Ace) is one of the best cosmetics I've seen.

Virginia
02-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Alll those wood composites are both beautiful and nice to play with. Apart from the Woodie, a few others have the string channel also - the boron Golden Ace, the Rossignol C12, the Wimbledon Pro and the Garcia Graphite come to mind.

joe sch
02-18-2010, 04:39 AM
Alll those wood composites are both beautiful and nice to play with. Apart from the Woodie, a few others have the string channel also - the boron Golden Ace, the Rossignol C12, the Wimbledon Pro and the Garcia Graphite come to mind.

The head Vilas and Edgewoods are two other beautiful players rackets in this category, with the Edgewood being the midsize version. I noticed the Vilas model also going to this string channel.

galain
02-18-2010, 05:54 AM
The head Vilas and Edgewoods are two other beautiful players rackets in this category, with the Edgewood being the midsize version. I noticed the Vilas model also going to this string channel.

The Edgewood has my vote as the most beautiful racquet ever made. It's just such a perfect and elegant cosmetic. The Vilas plays better though!

vsbabolat
02-18-2010, 06:08 AM
I think one problem was the Prince Woody. It was a club until they cut a string channel all the way around the hoop and then many of them warped because folks were used to the >70# tensions they used on their other Prince OS frames. That experience soured many dealers on the OS and mid wood composites in general. I agree that wood sticks would be interesting today if they could have held on in terms of demand. ANY wood stick places a premium on hitting near the middle...otherwise, the ball might land on your foot!

Back then I knew so many players that strung their midsize wood racquets way to tight and warped them. After all back then they were even calling for the graphite racquets to be strung around 65-70.:shock:

galain
02-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Not to derail this thread, but does anyone know the name(s) of Adidas' open throat wood frame(s)?

Virginia
02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Joe, my Edgewood and Vilas don't have the string channel.

galain, I have a CD 2000 which says "epoxy fully synthetic" on the shaft - I presume it's wood, with epoxy somewhere in the mix?

galain
02-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks Virginia

I swear, next time I'm back in NZ visiting relatives, we'll have to catch up!

ritton07
02-18-2010, 11:39 PM
....adidas open throat wood frames I recall, from the early 80s (maybe late 70s..), are
the Hurricane (used by a very - very, very... - young Boris Becker),
the Mistral (used by Henri Leconte to win the Junior French Open in 1980) and the Sirius,...
..all with a very similar shape

Virginia
02-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks Virginia

I swear, next time I'm back in NZ visiting relatives, we'll have to catch up!
Absolutely! I look forward to it. :)

retrowagen
02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I have a CD 2000 which says "epoxy fully synthetic" on the shaft - I presume it's wood, with epoxy somewhere in the mix?

If it is marked "epoxy fully synthetic," then there is little likelihood that there is any wood in its composition. However, one can't believe everything he reads, eh?;)

Virginia
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Well, I did wonder about that. Could a racquet be made of just epoxy?

Clintspin
02-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Back to the original question. Yes, I have three of the PK Golden Aces and love to play with them. You can hold your own even these days with a Golden Ace.

jimbo333
03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
The Edgewood has my vote as the most beautiful racquet ever made. It's just such a perfect and elegant cosmetic. The Vilas plays better though!

The Head Vector (Wood/Graphite) plays even better!

(Had a head size between the Vilas and Edgewood)

jimbo333
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
....adidas open throat wood frames I recall, from the early 80s (maybe late 70s..), are
the Hurricane (used by a very - very, very... - young Boris Becker),
the Mistral (used by Henri Leconte to win the Junior French Open in 1980) and the Sirius,...
..all with a very similar shape

And the Aquarius:)

(Similar to the Mistral)