PDA

View Full Version : The first graphite/composite paintjobbed frame?

galain
02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Was thinking about this yesterday. I know paintjobs have been around since the wood days, but who used the first 'modern material' con job? I'm thinking Martina with her blacked out max200G and the Yonex stencil. Any ideas?

Virginia
02-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Martina played with the 200G? I thought she was strictly a Yonex girl. :)

galain
02-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Martina played with the 200G? I thought she was strictly a Yonex girl. :)

Despite the fact that she even named one of her chihuaha's "Yonex" (oh God, I know!), she did sneak a Max200G onto centre court at Wimby, all blacked out and with the Yonex stencil on the strings. I think it was in an effort to match Steffi's power. I'll try and find a link.

galain
02-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Here you go Virginia - hope it works.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/tennis-heroes/displayhero.asp?HeroID=2380

Colpo
02-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Thinking hard about this. Recalling Connors's unique Pro Staff 85 paintjob when he was supposed to be the company's face of this great new frame. The shaft and head were more similar to the geometry of his T2000 - not a bi-arm shaft from head to grip, but similar and with a rounder face than stock, too. Boris Becker's 1985 "G. Vilas" Puma was also a pj of sorts, as the stock Vilas frame used the PCS handle discs to add/reduce racquet length, and Boris's featured the telescoping PCS system that later became the standard. But in terms of actually trying to deceive the eye that the racquet used was made by a different manufacturer? Yeah, have to say like the folks above Martina circa '87.

Virginia
02-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Despite the fact that she even named one of her chihuaha's "Yonex" (oh God, I know!), she did sneak a Max200G onto centre court at Wimby, all blacked out and with the Yonex stencil on the strings. I think it was in an effort to match Steffi's power. I'll try and find a link.
That photo clearly shows it's no Yonex she's playing with. I wonder how she got away with it - did nobody notice?

retrowagen
02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I'd suggest it was Lendl's adidas paintjob'ed Kneissl White Star Lendl Pro in 1982/1983, before adidas got their factory up and running in France to produce the "production" version of the Lendl GTX Pro (from the Kneissl moulds, but in a different composition, heavier and minus Kevlar). A bit more subtle than Navratilova's experiment with the Max 200g, perhaps, but also earlier.

Colpo
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I'd suggest it was Lendl's adidas paintjob'ed Kneissl White Star Lendl Pro in 1982/1983, before adidas got their factory up and running in France to produce the "production" version of the Lendl GTX Pro (from the Kneissl moulds, but in a different composition, heavier and minus Kevlar). A bit more subtle than Navratilova's experiment with the Max 200g, perhaps, but also earlier.

Absolutely correct. How could I have overlooked Ivan?!

Virginia
02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Excuse me if I seem dense, but which racquets did Lendl actually play with? The White Star Lendl Pro first and then the GTX Pro-T?

Virginia
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Going back to the Woodie days, I seem to remember that Laver played with the Dunlop Maxply Fort, painted to look like the Chemold aluminium he was supposed to be using. That must have looked pretty strange, not to say bizarre.

retrowagen
02-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Excuse me if I seem dense, but which racquets did Lendl actually play with? The White Star Lendl Pro first and then the GTX Pro-T?

Not quite; amongst the composites, in this order:
Kneissl White Star Pro
Kneissl White Star Lendl Pro (probably a paintjobbed WS Pro, minus the Kevlar component that was added to the "consumer" WS Lendl Pro)
Adidas Lendl GTX Pro (paintjobbed Lendl Pro made in Austria; see above)
Adidas Lendl GTX Pro (Made in France)
Adidas Lendl GTX Pro-T (Made in France; only differed from prior variant in graphics)
Mizuno custom (made from Adidas Lendl GTX Pro mould)

He did play a match at a Wimby with the Adidas Lendl Mid-T, in a desparate attempt to find a volley on grass.

Virginia
02-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks, retro - no wonder I was confused - in fact, I think it's possible I stilll am! :)

jimbo333
03-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Thinking hard about this. Recalling Connors's unique Pro Staff 85 paintjob when he was supposed to be the company's face of this great new frame. The shaft and head were more similar to the geometry of his T2000 - not a bi-arm shaft from head to grip, but similar and with a rounder face than stock, too.

Do you have a photo?

Still havn't even seen this:shock:

jimbo333
03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Going back to the Woodie days, I seem to remember that Laver played with the Dunlop Maxply Fort, painted to look like the Chemold aluminium he was supposed to be using. That must have looked pretty strange, not to say bizarre.

Yes, this is supposed to be true!

But again I've never seen a photo!

Colpo
03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Do you have a photo?

Still havn't even seen this:shock:

No, but the frame was featured prominently in a Paine Webber ad at that time - Jimmy hadn't fully committed to the new PS 85, but Wilson was having him playtest versions of it and making him the face of the new frame.

jimbo333
03-08-2010, 10:19 AM
No, but the frame was featured prominently in a Paine Webber ad at that time - Jimmy hadn't fully committed to the new PS 85, but Wilson was having him playtest versions of it and making him the face of the new frame.

Well I'd really like to see this photo if you or anyone comes across it:)