PDA

View Full Version : Upper body exercises to correct posture

hippo rescue squad
02-18-2010, 05:20 AM
Hi!

I want to keep this very concise. I have horrible posture - my shoulders tilt forwards, and my upper back has an unappealing curve. I went for my general physical a while ago, and my doctor suggested I begin upper body workouts to guide everything back into its place. What exercises in particular may I do to fulfill this goal??

Thanks!

jpr
02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
i'm not a doctor so take with a grain of salt...

this is a common problem for weightlifters who have an imbalance between anterior and posterior muscles (ie bench press more than back exercises).

if the source is muscle imbalance, then do more pullups, chinups, back flys & upright rows.

Zachol82
02-18-2010, 07:32 AM
I agree with what jpr said. I would also recommend core exercises, which also targets the back as well as the abs. Make sure you do workout all your muscles equally if you are weight-lifting!

Aside from that, bad posture is also a habit, you must consciously try to fix your posture whenever possible as well. Most of the time, pushing your hip, or pelvis forward will help straighten your back as well.

mike53
02-18-2010, 07:35 AM
A lot of people have these problems, just look around. Here is my personal favorite for starting out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lODeZLnxZgQ

jpr
02-18-2010, 08:18 AM
cool video...never tried this one

hits exactly the right muscles

Djokovicfan4life
02-18-2010, 08:37 AM
i'm not a doctor so take with a grain of salt...

this is a common problem for weightlifters who have an imbalance between anterior and posterior muscles (ie bench press more than back exercises).

if the source is muscle imbalance, then do more pullups, chinups, back flys & upright rows.

Don't forget deadlifts. IMO, they top all four of those combined.

charliefedererer
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
How about starting with the thrower's 10? http://www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf
These exercises are specifically designed to help throwing athletes (inclusing serving tennis players) strengthen the muscles of the upper back that support the shoulders, and the shoulders themselves, through a full range of motion.

If you want to through in another body weight exercise, consider pullups to strengthen the upper back, shoulders and arms.

If you want to add major strength gains, this means lifting heavy weights, and should be done in a gym to learn propper technique and have a spotter. Classic lifts would include barbell bench presses and squats. There are dumbell equivalents of these exercises, with most thinking that greater strength gains can be made with barbells, but perhaps strength throughout a more full range of motion can be achieved with dumbell exercises. Some start this journey on machines, and then switch to free weights.
For more insight, follow this link: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/tennis-training.html

jpr
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Don't forget deadlifts. IMO, they top all four of those combined.

i agree...deadlift, squat, pushup, pullup are all you need. however deadlift wont target deficiencies in rear delt or rhomb area. will help traps, erectors and low back.

if posture is objective, i stand with my advice. if better fitness/strength is objective, deadlift is the way to go.