PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some information regarding an early 90's Head widebody racquet

AndrewD
05-01-2005, 09:19 AM
One of the players at our club used to use, in about 1990-93, a Head widebody frame that he loved and would like to find something to match it. However, he can't for the life of him remember what the racquet was called. All he does recall is that it was purple in colour, not tapered but a constant width widebody, not a midsize (90-95sq range) but not a strict oversize and not one of their top line frames. Also, it was of that range that had a number attatched to it to denote the headsize - eg. 600, 660, 720. He thinks it might have been a 660.

I vaguely remember the one he means and a blue one of similar design, also that one might have been called the 'Orion' but apart from that I have no clue.

If anyone has an idea what it may have been and, most especially, what frame it might most closely resemble today then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevo
05-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I have a Ventoris 660. It has a silvery speckled paint job with black around the edges. There was also the Atlantis and Genesis that came out about the same time. I think the Genesis may have had a purple look to it, but it was dark colored purple.

Others that had 660 in the name were the Calibre IDS, Discovery SG, Elektra, Elite, Polaris, and several versions of the Trisys. I don't know the colors on any of those though.

HTH

uk_skippy
05-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Andrew

further to Kevo's reply, the Genesis was a deep metallice green, the polaris was a deep metallic red (similiar to the original prestige pro) and I think the Atlantis was a deep metallic blue (although in the right/wrong lite) it could be purple.

The calibre was similar col to the ventoris and came with a green bumper strip (again similiar to the grey/green prestige pro/600), the discovery was metallic brown, whle the elektra/elite were a very light metallic beigeish col. Most of those frames came in 600, 660 and 720 head size.

The Genesis, polaris, ventoris and atlantis frames all had triple taper beam with the thicker parts at the tip and the throat, while the center was thinner to 'cup' the ball (sound familiar.....flexpoint??). The elektra/elite,discovery also had that sort of profile. The calibre was a constant beam. as was the Orion you mentioned.

Hope this helps further.

Paul

AndrewD
05-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys. I just found this one **** and thought I'd post it to show what the racquet we're looking for ISNT.

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20871&item=7152117271&rd=1#****photohosting

The racquet IS - the same head size as the one in picture, it would be a similar vintage (Im guessing), it would be a less expensive version and it is a continuous width beam unlike the one in the picture.

Thanks Kevo. None of those names ring a bell (I remember them but not the one Im thinking of). This one didn't have the speckly finish to it, just plain. Wonder whether if it wasn't available to the States?

uk_skippy, Ive dragged up a picture of the Genesis and remember it as being at the top end of the Head range at that particular time. It definately wasn't the Electra but as you obviously remember the Orion -constant beam width- Id say it might well be the Calibre. Thanks a lot mate. Would you have any idea what current racquet would most closely resemble the Calibre or the Orion?

Thanks a lot Kevo and uk_skippy. Always nice to post a question and get such good, helpful answers.

bertrevert
05-02-2005, 06:20 AM
uk_skippy, Ive dragged up a picture of the Genesis .
Where? Please post it up and link to it if possible... I'd like ot find a picture for sentimental reasons only... oh ok the link shows the picture. Man this looks like my first racquet...
http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22714&item=7152057614&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Shane Reynolds
05-02-2005, 09:00 AM
None of the above racquets would be it, as they had a taper to them where the racquet was thicker at the throat and tip, but thinner at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I used a Polaris 660 for years and it stands to this day as the only racquet I've used for more than a year (though I will break that this year with my PD+'s). It was a deep metallic red. The Ventoris below it was metallic silver; the Atlantis and Genesis above it were deep metallic purple and green respectively. I had a Genesis for a time but it had a 18 x 20 string pattern and it was very powerful. The Polaris had a little more flex to it and a more open string pattern.

Extreme Radical
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
AndrewD--

Is this the racquet you're looking for?

http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22714&item=7153512567&rd=1

It meet all the criteria you mentioned.

KFwinds
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
I had a Genesis 600 up until just a few years ago; this was a really sweet racquet, but the swingweight was too high for me.

fred4255
08-14-2005, 07:30 AM
I know what you are talking about. I purchased a Head Orion 720 many years ago in Florida and only used it a few times. I completely forgot about it until I read your message and found it in my basement.

Virgilio
08-14-2005, 09:02 AM
The green one that u are talking about might have been the Legacy 660. The similar one perhaps was the Sinthesy 660, very similar but different color. They were different from all other ones since they had a red vibration dampener in the body of the racquet. I used to have the Legacy since last year, then sold it.

KevinChua78
05-22-2006, 03:59 AM
One of the players at our club used to use, in about 1990-93, a Head widebody frame that he loved and would like to find something to match it. However, he can't for the life of him remember what the racquet was called. All he does recall is that it was purple in colour, not tapered but a constant width widebody, not a midsize (90-95sq range) but not a strict oversize and not one of their top line frames. Also, it was of that range that had a number attatched to it to denote the headsize - eg. 600, 660, 720. He thinks it might have been a 660.

I vaguely remember the one he means and a blue one of similar design, also that one might have been called the 'Orion' but apart from that I have no clue.

If anyone has an idea what it may have been and, most especially, what frame it might most closely resemble today then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

From your description the racquest your friend is after is a Head 720 Orion, like you said it had a thick but constant beam width and was purple.

I've got one of these racquests for sale if your interested? The example I have is in great condition, it's barely been used from new so if you're still after one let me know asap.

You can email me directly at cheeky1978@hotmail.com.

Thanks very much.

AndrewD
05-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Kevin,

Thanks very much but, in the 12 months since I posted the original query, he's found himself another racquet and is playing quite happily with it.

Thanks again.