PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust your SV Pro Staff with your local stringer?

wangs78
02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I just got a Pro Staff 85 St. Vincent and it's unstrung. I'd like to get it strung but I just don't want to leave it at the shop with the stringer for a few days. It's not so much that I spent a decent chunk of change for it but that it's just hard to leave something that's so hard to replace with a stranger. I keep picturing that scene from Ferris Buehller when they leave the Corvette with the parking attendants and they go and take it for a joyride. What a nightmare.

=)

downdaline
02-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Why dont u give your stringer a call, and book a time slot?

That way you can leave the racquet there and u'll know that he'll string it rightaway and u can have it back in an hour or so.

That's what i'd do with my stringer. I make an appointment, drop my SV PS85 off, have lunch and then come back and pick it up.

djqsrv
02-19-2010, 05:21 AM
It was a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California not a corvette

JoelDali
02-19-2010, 06:45 AM
I totally understand what you're feeling.

When I hand mine over to my guy hes downtown and travels far.

I'm always freaked out when I hand it over.

I would be devastated if it got hijacked out of his hands.

:0

Jonny S&V
02-19-2010, 06:46 AM
I am my local stringer, so I would be hard-pressed to give it to him. ;-)

Marcus
02-19-2010, 06:48 AM
I'd trust mine...... but not sure about yours !

wangs78
02-19-2010, 06:57 AM
It was a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California not a corvette

Well exuuuuuuse me!

Thx for the correction. =)

wangs78
02-19-2010, 06:58 AM
I am my local stringer, so I would be hard-pressed to give it to him. ;-)

I'm actually thinking about getting a stringing machine - a used decent one on **** is as little as $250, so I could recover my cost after just about 10 stringings I would say. Is it difficult to learn the finer points of stringing?

Jonny S&V
02-19-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm actually thinking about getting a stringing machine - a used decent one on **** is as little as $250, so I could recover my cost after just about 10 stringings I would say. Is it difficult to learn the finer points of stringing?

No, actually very easy (after the first 2-3 stringings). Here's a great list of videos that you can learn (from scratch) how to string:

http://www.youtube.com/user/YULitle

Yulitle is a great poster on here, and his videos are really easy to follow.

love15
02-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Send it to me to Europe.
I will string and send u back asap :)

L15

avincent52
02-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Getting your racket stolen from the stringers?

I appreciate your passion and your respect for your gear, but to 99 percent of the people in the world an SV Pro Staff is just an old tennis racket with a tiny head.
And if by some freak of circumstance, your SV were to get boosted, the shop certainly has insurance. They'd write you a check for a couple hundred dollars and you could just buy another one on e-bay.
To put this in perspective, I know people who leave 70-year old vintage Martin guitars worth well over $100,000 at a luthier's shop for months at a time while waiting for repairs. I won't even talk about my car and watch friends.

Enjoy your new/old racket.