PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Dunlops Mass migration...

adizzy
02-19-2010, 08:40 AM
I think TW might have deleted this thread because I might have put it in the wrong section.

Saw Berdych is using a Head. Hass=Head. Blake=Wilson.

It's ironic, atleast in my opinion because now Dunlop seems to be making some really really good sticks. I got to demo again but I thought the 4d 300 tour might be the best on the market today. Again IMO.

MichaelChang
02-19-2010, 08:48 AM
It's ironic, atleast in my opinion because now Dunlop seems to be making some really really good sticks. I got to demo again but I thought the 4d 300 tour might be the best on the market today. Again IMO.

You sound like a salesman from Dunlop.

LeeD
02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Worse, he doesn't understand the motivations of pros to switch rackets.
MONEY, FREE STUFF, advertisements !!!!!
Dunlop is plain cheap when it comes to ads, promos, and pro forms. They are making fine rackets, but don't want to spend endless $$$$$ promoting their stuff. See how it goes in the long run.
OTOH, I have 3 Mfil and Aero, and nothing works better.

adizzy
02-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Worse, he doesn't understand the motivations of pros to switch rackets.

Hence, the word Ironic

adizzy
02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
You sound like a salesman from Dunlop.

I use a Aero Pro. Took ten years off tennis. made a bad decision when I chose my racket, Aero Pro luxilon fluro/NXT16 hybrid 62.5/68 lbs. When I hit with a racket I really like I get a high. It puts me in a good mood for atleast up two-three days. Ive gotten it twice recently. 4d 300 tour and k blade tour.

vsbabolat
02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I think TW might have deleted this thread because I might have put it in the wrong section.

Saw Berdych is using a Head. Hass=Head. Blake=Wilson.

Blake might be going back to Dunlop.
Was curious last night myself as Blake was carrying a Dunlop bag, but his racquet is black with lead at 3 & 9.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/CGClone/RMKT%202010/CPJB421710.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/CGClone/RMKT%202010/CPJB721710.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/CGClone/RMKT%202010/CPJB521710.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/CGClone/RMKT%202010/Blakeserve.jpg

decades
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
is that an all Poly setup on the black stick?

mtommer
02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
I also know from some of the reps in town that Dunlop is trying to build a following using grass roots marketing, similar to Prince.

Hidious
02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I recently switch to the 300 Tour and i have to admit, the pros who were using this mold switching to Heads makes you wonder. But i suppose it's a money issue mainly.

adizzy
02-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Blake might be going back to Dunlop.

Ya that def. doent look like the Wil. tour 90. If he ever actually switched the frame.

vsbabolat
02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Ya that def. doent look like the Wil. tour 90. If he ever actually switched the frame.

Blake did really use the Wilson 6.1 Tour 90 this year until Memphis.http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/James_Blake_2010_Brisbane_4.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/James_Blake_2010_Brisbane_3.jpg

Don't Let It Bounce
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
It's ironic, at least in my opinion because now Dunlop seems to be making some really really good sticks. I got to demo again but I thought the 4d 300 tour might be the best on the market today. Again IMO.Might not be ironic, if they feel their sticks are good enough for people to buy them on their own merits. Prince went that way in the 80's (and the above post suggests they are doing it now), and Wilson made a big deal in the 90's, while its Hammers were dominating industry sales, of poo-pooing companies that paid out big endorsements.

The cynical among us–including, regretfully, me, though I do think Dunlop makes fine sticks–may suspect that these are examples of marketing driven by cost-cutting rather than by genuine confidence in the quality of the product and in the ability of the public to recognize that quality, but, hey, it's possible.

LPShanet
02-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Might not be ironic, if they feel their sticks are good enough for people to buy them on their own merits. Prince went that way in the 80's (and the above post suggests they are doing it now), and Wilson made a big deal in the 90's, while its Hammers were dominating industry sales, of poo-pooing companies that paid out big endorsements.

The cynical among us–including, regretfully, me, though I do think Dunlop makes fine sticks–may suspect that these are examples of marketing driven by cost-cutting rather than by genuine confidence in the quality of the product and in the ability of the public to recognize that quality, but, hey, it's possible.

In fact, you're correct. Dunlop cut their sponsorship budget, which is the reason for a lot of the defections. They didn't want to pony up to renew the contracts of players who weren't guaranteed to be helping sales. Right now Haas and Blake are bad bets, as they command fairly high prices on the sponsorship market relative to their rankings. And since they're aging, the expected performance drop offs can happen at any time (if they haven't already).

basil J
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
That blacked out frame looks like his old revelation tour 95 he used to use.

OliverSimon
02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
IMHO, Wilson fit Blake much better.

adizzy
02-28-2010, 08:37 PM
IMHO, Wilson fit Blake much better.

In what way?

gino
02-28-2010, 08:48 PM
In fact, you're correct. Dunlop cut their sponsorship budget, which is the reason for a lot of the defections. They didn't want to pony up to renew the contracts of players who weren't guaranteed to be helping sales. Right now Haas and Blake are bad bets, as they command fairly high prices on the sponsorship market relative to their rankings. And since they're aging, the expected performance drop offs can happen at any time (if they haven't already).

Good points, I think Haas still has some great tennis in him. I say he takes home a Masters Tourney this year.. He was a GREAT pick up by Head. Blake is a bad bet as of right now, I think he's still hitting a darn good ball though.

adizzy
03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Good points, I think Haas still has some great tennis in him. I say he takes home a Masters Tourney this year.. He was a GREAT pick up by Head. Blake is a bad bet as of right now, I think he's still hitting a darn good ball though.

A top player has been spotted playing with the 300 tour. This should bring Dunlop back to the top of the tennis world once again. All of you might know him as adizzy- a poster on this forum. He's 5'9, with areceding hairline and 20 lbs over wight. Keep an eyeout for him at the next GS.

shell
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
And now Haas out with hip surgery - so Dunlop may have lucked out on paying that big check for no exposure (although I certainly wish Haas the best of luck with his recovery)

They need to get a pro or two on both tours.

jazzyfunkybluesy
03-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Dunlop racquets sock. It went down hill after the Hotmelt 200g.

Power Player
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Dunlop racquets sock. It went down hill after the Hotmelt 200g.

Dude you are insane. Dunlop is killing it right now and making great racquets. The 4Ds are some of the best new sticks out there.

They are also smartly going after junior up and comers who are much cheaper to endorse.

LeeD
03-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I think Dunlop's sock right now too.
Nice warm woolly socks, or maybe it's fleece the new rage in socks.
I also don't care which pros play with my rackets. I know that I do, and that's most important.

adlis
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I think Dunlop's sock right now too.
Nice warm woolly socks, or maybe it's fleece the new rage in socks.
I also don't care which pros play with my rackets. I know that I do, and that's most important.

Dunlop is now a tier III racket company mostly producing trash thanks to evil brand destoyerMike Ashley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ashley_%28businessman%29) who brought them back in 2003.

Power Player
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Damn, if these new 4Ds are trash, I feel bad for the other masses of sticks I demoed that couldnt hold a candle to them.

vsbabolat
03-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Dunlop is now a tier III racket company mostly producing trash thanks to evil brand destoyerMike Ashley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ashley_%28businessman%29) who brought them back in 2003.

He did destroy the brand image of Donnay. But before him Donnay did have years of mismanagement.

adizzy
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Everyone has their own opinion. But I demoed a number of rackets and Its like the 4d 300T was made with me in mind. I wanted very little power, spin control and feel. this thing has it all...

Im not sure what you mean by tier III. in quality, no way. But in brand name and popularity, yes.

abtlerik
03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Dunlop is hurting financially. I know a rep who was laid off as they are just hurting badly. Also know a stringer who was stringing at the Aussie Open. He tells me that Dunlop is letting any and all players out of their contracts. Furthermore, apparently Dunlop just lost a big deal to be the official ball supplier at one of the Slams (presumably) the Aussie Open. All stuff from reliable sources. Its a bummer as I use the AG 300 4d tour and its great!

vsbabolat
03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Dunlop is hurting financially. I know a rep who was laid off as they are just hurting badly. Also know a stringer who was stringing at the Aussie Open. He tells me that Dunlop is letting any and all players out of their contracts. Furthermore, apparently Dunlop just lost a big deal to be the official ball supplier at one of the Slams (presumably) the Aussie Open. All stuff from reliable sources. Its a bummer as I use the AG 300 4d tour and its great!

Dunlop is the official ball of Roland Garros (French Open). Wilson is the official ball of the Australian Open.
Dunlop was first associated with Roland Garros in 1984 when they originally developed a superior ball for use in the French Open. This association has now moved into a new era with Dunlop continuing to be the official ball of Roland Garros for 2009.The synergy between the greatest clay court tournament in the World and the greatest tennis ball brand now allows consumers to find a choice of tennis balls suitable not only to clay but also to a range of other surfaces
http://www.dunlopsport.com/Dunlop-Tennis/Roland-Garros/

12/7/2009 : Dunlop announced as Official Ball Supplier for leading Clay Court Tournaments:
Dunlop will become the Official Ball Supplier for three of Europe’s leading tennis ATP tournaments from 2010: Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, Inter****onali BNL d’Italia Rome and the Mutua Madrileña Madrid Open.
In addition, Dunlop balls will be used for other ATP tournaments including: Barcelona, Estoril, Nice, Munich and Dusseldorf providing Tour players with the opportunity to use the same ball in all lead up tournaments to Roland-Garros where the Dunlop ball will also be used.

http://www.dunlopsports.com/dunlop-tennis/News--Events/International/News/Dunlop-announced-as-Official-Ball-Supplier-for-leading-Clay-Court-Tournaments/
Dunlop is also owned by Sports Direct.

AndrewD
03-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Dunlop is also owned by Sports Direct.

In the UK only.

vsbabolat
03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
In the UK only.

Here we go again. Not just in the U.K.

Sports Direct first acquired a licence to the Dunlop brand in respect of sports and leisure goods in various countries as part of the acquisition of Dunlop Slazenger Group Holdings Limited in 2004. The brand was originally associated with tyre production, having been established in 1888 by John Boyd Dunlop after he invented the modern pneumatic inflatable tyre, and first extended to sporting equipment in 1939. It has since become associated with a wide variety of sporting equipment and apparel. It is a leading brand in the badminton, golf, squash and tennis equipment markets due to its particularly strong heritage in racket sports as illustrated by historic association with players such as John McEnroe and Steffi Graf. In these heritage areas, Dunlop’s key competitors include Prince, Wilson and Head. It is also associated with sporting and casual footwear, such as “Green Flash” shoes. To maintain and develop the current profile of the brand, the Group has entered sponsorship agreements with several high-profile athletes, such as Darren Clarke, Tommy Haas, David Howell and Lee Westwood.
Following the acquisition of Dunlop International Limited in May 2006, the Group now owns the worldwide rights to license the Dunlop brand, save in relation to tyres, and other than in Australia, Fiji, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, Taiwan and the United States. In the United States, the Dunlop brand is owned and controlled by DNA (Housemarks) Limited, a joint venture vehicle currently owned by the Group and SRI USA, Inc. The Directors regard the United States as a potential source of significant sales, as Dunlop remains an under-developed brand in the US sports retail market.

http://www.sports-direct-international.com/main.asp?pid=19

So in short Sports Direct owns the world wide rights to Dunlop Sport except in Australia, Fiji, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, and Taiwan. While in the U.S.A. it is in a joint venture with SRI USA, Inc.

stingstang
03-04-2010, 01:54 AM
The owners are far from short of cash, its just that they milk the company's they buy for a fast buck instead of investing in them. The rackets are still very good though. if they had any sense they would sponsor a few promising young players and do a retro pj of the max 200g on the 200 series (like the K88) to bring the brand back

Power Player
03-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Whats up with the new accounts spreading misinfo about Dunlop? Smells funny to me.