PDA

View Full Version : What Racquet do you think I should get based on my skill and measurements?

muscl3s
05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm 24 years old and I just started playing Tennis recently. I've just been using some cheap WalMart special racquet and I want to start using a good one. Even though I've just started playing I'd say I'm a 3.0 - 3.5 player already. I'm very athletic and I'm stocky. Throughout highschool and college I've played mostly football and basketball. I'm 6' 0", 215 lbs, and muscular. I work out in the gym often. As for my tennis game I'm an all around, all court player. In the future I plan on joining leagues and tournaments.

After doing a lot of reading on racquet specs I'm confident that I'd be best suited for a MP headsize (95-98). As for all the other specs I have no idea. I know it's best to demo a bunch of racquets but due to my inexperieance and unfamiliarity I would like to have some recommendations first . I'd rather demo just a couple of racquets based on your recommendations instead of trying to aimlessly demo dozens of racquets. So now based on my measurements and athleticism what racquet(s) would you recommend me looking into and getting?

I really appreciate all feedback.

eLterrible
05-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Just go for a racquet that focuses on control and spin, because by the looks of it, u can generate your own power.

nViATi
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
try the Head Liquidmetal Prestige MP

montx
05-01-2005, 01:53 PM
From my understanding having gone through a lot of research recently, you probably want your racquet to have some weight for stability. Your a big man so you should be able to weild quite an axe. Then you might have other preferences like headsize, swingweight, stiffness etc...I would look up some of the racquet reviews done by TW and some of the customer feedback. The reviews I find most helpful, though I didn't pay attention upon purchasing my last racquet, rather didn't have enough time to do so.

Gaines Hillix
05-01-2005, 02:39 PM
My suggestions are the Bab AeroPro Drive, Head LM or FP Radical MP, Prince Tour NXG MP, Prince Graphite Classic MP, Wilson NCode NPro Surge MP, Pk Laver S MP.

muklucke
05-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Fischer Pro #1 FT. It got alittle of everything.

muscl3s
05-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions thus far. If anyone wants to throw out anymore opinions please feel free :)

It looks like the one I like best so far on paper is the Head LM Radical

Titanfan2003
05-01-2005, 04:51 PM
You may want to try the Yonex RDX 500. Im kind of in your same position and just demoed it and fell in love.

nViATi
05-01-2005, 04:56 PM
the radical feels sort of tinny and hollow. the prestige is way solider

Goran
05-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I think an oversize Wilson Hypercarbon Triad Hammer with Rollers is the best blend of technologies to bring your game to the next level. It may be a tad expensive, but who wouldn't want to buy a better game if they could afford it?

MegacedU
05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
try the Head Liquidmetal Prestige MP

Don't try the Liquidmetal Prestige. You'll hate it and you'll be hitting homeruns with it. My friend, a 5'5'' 125 pound girl plays with it. It's powerful even for her! I don't really know what to tell you TO try. But STAY AWAY from the Wilson Hammers as well. They're designed for old ladys, pre hip breaking. :)

erik-the-red
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
How is any Prestige a power racquet? The only time you'll be hitting homers with it is if you can't tolerate the 12+ ounce weight and you hit late EVERY single time.

Prestiges have always been for players who have solid form and prefer a heavier, more stable racquet.

I'm pretty sure Goran is joking. Do not get any Wilson Triad. They're terrible for your arm.

You seem to be very athletic. I recommend the following sticks to demo:

1. Prince Original Graphite OS
2. Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.0 Mid

Oldies but goodies.

MegacedU
05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
You've gottttta be kidding. Yes, it's heavier, more stable - maybe. BUT it's certainly stiff enough to knock the ball over the fence every single time if you haven't been playing with it for months.

NGreenwald42390
05-17-2005, 04:55 PM
what are u talking about if the prestige has to much power then im wondering how much power a pure control racquet has :confused:

Kaptain Karl
05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
One thing I've learned is racquet choice is pretty personal. One of my practice partners has a game just like mine ... and we cannot stand each other's sticks. So try a few (from TW's demo program, of course) report what you learned back here ... and you'll get more suggestions than you can stand. Do it again ... and again. Eventually, you'll realize you've found "your" stick.

- KK

erik-the-red
05-17-2005, 05:17 PM
I disagree about Prestige stiffness.

Except for maybe the Ti.Classic, all Prestiges are fairly flexible. The Ti.Classic tops at a 65 flex rating.

But, to be fair, I do agree that it is pretty demanding to use after a long layoff. But, hitting over the fence with a racquet like this? I still don't think so.

muscl3s
05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I ended up going down to the only local tennis pro shop I know of in my area (Players Choice Racquet Sports) on Union St. in Schenectady. I demo'd a few racquets but most of them I wanted to try they didn't have which included the Yonex RDX 500, Flexpoint Radical Tour and Volk Tour 10 V-Engine.

Out of the few racquets I did get to try I liked the M-Fil 200 and the LM Radical. What was weird is the M-Fil felt better striking the ball but overall I was getting much better results out of the LM Radical. I'm sure part of the reason why I was hitting the Radical better was because it was my correct grip size 4 1/2. The M-Fil demo was a 4 3/8. The fact that both racquets were using different strings probably made even more of an impact.

Ultimately, I needed a half descent racquet right away so I got the owner of the Pro Shop to sell me a LM Radical at a good price (brand new, strung w\carrying case and tax included for $130 even).

In the future as I improve I'll start to demo a bunch more racquets again but next time directly from TW instead of a local pro shop with such limited availability. Plus I won't be constrained time-wise while I demo since I now own a descent racquet :mrgreen:

Kaptain Karl
05-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Good luck. Maybe you'll even discover you picked the "right" racquet for you THIS TIME. (That would be nice.)

- KK

MegacedU
05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah def. Player's choice is a really nice pro-shop. There's a couple around here actually they just tend to be a bit sketchy. You're best off with player's choice. A lot of my tennis enthusiast friends use the V-engine and from what i've seen, it's a pretty good stick. But enjoy your radical. (I just demoed that a couple weeks ago! It was good at the net and serve but I hated its ground strokes)