PDA

View Full Version : Agassi's custom grip

Quarante-Amour
02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
In Agassi’s book, he talks about how his stringer puts a custom grip on his racquets.

He writes: “Roman has a mold of my grip, which he applies to the racket. Then he wraps the mold with calfskin,…” (Page 13, 4th paragraph)

Does anyone know what kind of grip it is and how it is made? I’m guessing that the calfskin would be the leather grip that most of us know as a standard grip but how would a mold be made and placed on a racquet?

jamauss
02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I think in terms of Roman having "a mold of Agassi's grip" he just means the right size and shape - not necessarily like a plaster mold of his hand.

plowmanjoe
02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
maybe he has a special pallet that they put on the handle.

RFRF
02-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Call roman prokes at rpny to find out!

Azzurri
02-21-2010, 09:52 AM
In Agassi’s book, he talks about how his stringer puts a custom grip on his racquets.

He writes: “Roman has a mold of my grip, which he applies to the racket. Then he wraps the mold with calfskin,…” (Page 13, 4th paragraph)

Does anyone know what kind of grip it is and how it is made? I’m guessing that the calfskin would be the leather grip that most of us know as a standard grip but how would a mold be made and placed on a racquet?

pretty sure Roman uses a grip from Agassi's teen years. I may be a bit muddled, but I believe when Andre left Prince, they did take the "grip shape" of his favorite Prince racquet grip and used that mold since. something like this...but I am sure the "grip shape" being used was from Agassi's teen years.

Pioneer
02-27-2010, 09:07 AM
what he means is that roman had custom pallets that he put on agassi's racquets. Like Azzurri said, they could be in the Prince grip shape, because I don't think anybody uses the Head grip shape

dincuss
02-27-2010, 09:45 AM
pretty sure Roman uses a grip from Agassi's teen years. I may be a bit muddled, but I believe when Andre left Prince, they did take the "grip shape" of his favorite Prince racquet grip and used that mold since. something like this...but I am sure the "grip shape" being used was from Agassi's teen years.

I heard something similar to this as well

BounceHitBounceHit
02-27-2010, 09:48 AM
what he means is that roman had custom pallets that he put on agassi's racquets. Like Azzurri said, they could be in the Prince grip shape, because I don't think anybody uses the Head grip shape

Yes, I think that's right. It's a 'custom installed' Prince-shaped grip. BHBH

sargeinaz
02-27-2010, 11:28 AM

I believe Tommy Haas using the Head grip shape

OliverSimon
02-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Berdych also uses a head shaped grip.

iplaybetter
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
the head shaped grip is actually very popular

DavidGarcia
02-27-2010, 02:49 PM
the head shaped grip is actually very popular

Why do pros actually like the head shaped grip? What is the deal?

Quarante-Amour
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Ok, let me see if I understand. A mold is made of a players favorite grip shape. The mold is then sent to the racquet mfgr. and that mold is attached to the players prefered head shape. Is that corrrect?

ollinger
02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
RPNY installs the custom grip shape in-house. Charges about $110 per frame to make the grip shape of your choice.

Bashi
02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
i like head and babolat.

0d1n
03-18-2010, 06:20 AM

All the players who grew up using Head racquets will prefer that grip shape and use it during their pro career even if they switch company. It's all about what you're used to...and Head being so dominant in many European countries, that grip shape will actually be more popular than the more "rounded" ones in those places.

Rabbit
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
^^^^^^
Yeah, I now prefer the Volkl standard shape. I grew up using wood and Dunlop/Wilson frames. Different stroke for different folks.

0d1n
03-19-2010, 01:36 AM
^^^^^^
Yeah, I now prefer the Volkl standard shape. I grew up using wood and Dunlop/Wilson frames. Different stroke for different folks.

Great for you...the only thing I would change about my Tour 10's would be the grip shape. Babolat's shape would be just fine ;). Wilson would work too.

tommytom11
03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
RPNY installs the custom grip shape in-house. Charges about $110 per frame to make the grip shape of your choice.

there you go

LPShanet
03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Ok, let me see if I understand. A mold is made of a players favorite grip shape. The mold is then sent to the racquet mfgr. and that mold is attached to the players prefered head shape. Is that corrrect?

The opposite. The frame manufacturer send the frames to the customizer (in this case Roman), and Roman fabricates a handle base and attaches it to the frame/hairpin. Depending on the way the frame is constructed, a handle may be either screwed on or foamed in place. He then adds whatever wraps (replacement or overgrips) to the handle. And yes, calfskin refers to the leather replacement grip.