PDA

View Full Version : Making 1/4 and 3/8 gripsize equal?

robJAR
02-19-2010, 08:41 PM
The title asks the main question. If it matters the racquets are all Wilson.

For example's sake, if i had two k90's, one in 1/4th and one in 3/8, would it be possible to match the gripsize by putting a 1.3mm TW leather grip on the 3/8, while putting the 1.5mm TW leather grip on the 1/4th?

I hope i'm making sense in my explanation..

-robJAR

Spyre
02-19-2010, 10:44 PM
use a heatshrink sleeve. can be found on TW

slice bh compliment
02-20-2010, 12:56 AM
The best solution is to sell your size 2 to a smaller handed person and get another size 3.

I am assuming that's not an option for you, so you are opting for the second solution: to match the handles up. The different grip thing is not going to be close enough. It's only 2/10 of a mm difference in thickness versus 1/64 of an inch (1/8 of an inch x 8 bevels).

Go with Spyres' suggestion. One sleeve on the size 2 will make it a 3, basically. Incredibly close.

Because of the added mass in the handle of the size 2, you might have to use some lead on the size 3 to make the two frames exact in mass and also balance. This should not take more than a few grams and a few minutes. Do it. It will be worth it to have two matching sticks.

Then you evaluate the grip sizes and shapes. They ought to be almost identical, but if they are not....use a little masking tape under the grip.

Then, install matching leathers and overgrips. Overlap the same, or as needed for optimal feel ... keeping the specs matched.

Use the frames well!

robJAR
02-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Oh man, racquet customization is always fun. If ever, using heat shrink sleeves is the last option. I wouldn't want to mess with the balance that much. But we'll see how things go and i'll update, if i remember to _-_

Thanks for your suggestions!

-robJAR