PDA

View Full Version : Calf pain

Blake0
02-20-2010, 10:32 AM
I have calf pain now on the gastrocnemius part of the calf muscle. Yesterday i was out playing tennis when my left calf was starting to have little cramps. I stretched both calves out and started playing again. I felt great, then i noticed a short ball coming, and i smashed a winner with my forehand. My right leg was off the floor when i hit the winner, and then i fell to the floor. My right leg's calf started hurting like a pulled muscle. I layed down on the floor, and massaged it to get the pain to go away. There was no pop sound or anything, it just felt like a muscle spasm or something. After i massaged it and the immediate pain went away, i got up and walked to the bench. Then i slowly stretched it out.

Yesterday it had hurt to walk on the leg the rest of the evening, it sort of felt like the muscle spasm would come back if i walked on it too quickly.

Today it feels tight, and have some pain when i walk on it. The last time i worked out before was tuesday, and this happened on friday. On wednesday i played tennis for an hour or 2, and didn't really do much exercise on thursday, except maybe an hour of tennis (didn't play intensely).

Just wondering if this is anything serious. Anyone else had a muscle spasm in the gastrocnemius part of the calf? Is it supposed to hurt for a couple days? Do i have anything serious or is it just a minor injury like a muscle strain that can be treated with r.i.c.e.?

charliefedererer
02-20-2010, 09:03 PM
It's does sound like you have a strain or some type of tear in the gastrocnemius, a condition that occurs frequently in tennis players and is referred to as "tennis leg". The first line of treatment will be rest and ice, as you mentioned. If the pain is persisting you probably will want to get it checked out medically. You may find it helpful to read more about this problem at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91687-overview

Carlito
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I used to have cramps a lot so I know what a cramp feels like. I usually only get them when I play a very long time. I usually can sense if they are coming

But this time was different. It was a tournament match and I wont the first set 6-1 and up 2-1 in second in total control.. He hit a short ball and I sprinted towards it and I felt and heard a little pop. It really hurt but not so bad that I had to quit. I still finished the match but now it is very tender. Im limping a little and it hurts to stand on my toes.

What do you think happened? Is this a pulled calf muscle, some sort of strain or just a cramp?. I don't think it is that bad because i was still able to play. But I have a match next week and want to know what I need to do to recover.

charliefedererer
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Even with the additional information you provide it still sounds like a strain or tear in the gastrocnemius.
Here is the recommended course of treatment from the above posted site:

"Recovery Phase
Rehabilitation Program
Physical Therapy
Ice therapy and active resistance dorsiflexion exercises can be undertaken until the athlete is pain free. Then, light plantar flexion exercises against resistance are initiated. Progression of therapy includes reduction in heel-lift height and gradual introduction of stationary cycling, leg presses, and heel raises. At this stage, ultrasonography, used with or without phonophoresis, and muscle stimulation are also applicable. Massage techniques can help with the removal of interstitial fluid. Apply compression dressing from the metatarsal heads to the gastrocnemius for the first 2 weeks. Partial weight-bearing ambulation should begin as soon as tolerable to maximize the contact of the sole of the foot to the ground, then progress to increased cyclic loading, advanced proprioception and balance training, and eventual full weight-bearing ambulation, with dynamic change of speed and direction as tolerable.

Maintenance Phase
Rehabilitation Program
Physical Therapy
Once the athlete is pain free with full and symmetric Range Of Motion and full strength is regained, sports-specific activities can be resumed. Strengthening and stretching of the injured area should continue for several months to overcome the increased risk for reinjury due to the deposition of scar tissue that is involved in the healing process."

Unfortunately there are no real short cuts to speed the healing process.