PDA

View Full Version : SCinMA or other Ncode Aeroprodrive users

TennisMD
05-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I know you are a fellow N code 6.1 95 user going to the Aeroprodrive, as I am ;I am having second thoughts.. How has your experience been especially in regard to control and arm comfort.

SC in MA
05-02-2005, 07:33 AM
I know you are a fellow N code 6.1 95 user going to the Aeroprodrive, as I am ;I am having second thoughts.. How has your experience been especially in regard to control and arm comfort.Hi TennisMD. Sorry to hear that it sounds like you're have problems with the AeroPro Drive. I actually haven't hit with mine for a few weeks, mainly because I'm starting to play mostly singles outdoors and have switched back to my n61 95.

Prior to moving back to the n61, I did start having elbow tweaks while using the AeroPro Drive, though I was doing a lot racket switching and string experimentation over the winter which didn't help things.

As far as control, I really haven't had a control problem with the APD. In fact, I love playing with it, though I really found it too light for sustained baseline rallies. I felt like my arm started asborbing a lot of the ball impact. I still feel that the APD has a great combo of power/control.

I wonder if strings/string tension is related to your control problems. I've only strung my APD a couple of times and noticed that strings & tension definitely make a difference. I think I went too tight in my last string job 'cuz I noticeably don't have much pop at all in groundies and especially in serves. Now that I think about it, I wonder if my elbow twinges with the APD are related to the too tight string job?

Anyway, I haven't given up on the APD by any means. I'll be playing mostly singles on clay for the outdoor season, so I plan to add weight to it at 3 & 9 and in the handle. I'm hoping that the added mass will help with the groundstroke rallies without taking away too much from its great manueverability and power/control.

I'm not sure I've helped much, but in any event, please keep us posted on whatever racket direction you go. And let me know if you have any further questions.

THE ANIMAL
05-02-2005, 09:19 AM
How does the power and spin compare between these 2 the ncode and Aero Pro Drive. What nCode 6.1 95 do you use is it the 18x20 or 16x18.

SMASHER
05-02-2005, 09:32 AM
I switched to the Aeropro Drive from the Ncode 6.1 95. I started getting shoulder problems with my n61. It could be a result of the Babolat Ballistic I have in the Mains. I decided to try the Aeropro Drive strung w Max Comfort 16g. At first I thought it felt a little to light, so I added lead tape at 10 & 2. Now it feels great. Has plenty pop and mad spin. I never served better than I do now. Aeropro Drives wins in my book. I'm going to cut out the string I have in my n61 and try something else.

SC in MA
05-02-2005, 05:53 PM
How does the power and spin compare between these 2 the ncode and Aero Pro Drive. What nCode 6.1 95 do you use is it the 18x20 or 16x18.My n61 95 is the 16x18 version. The APD and n61 are very different weights, as I'm sure you already know. I think the weight difference is a major factor related to the power and spin of these two rackets.

Power. I think both are powerful, but with a different feel. The n61 has a much more solid, "plow thru" feel to it. I think the weight of the racket helps drive the ball more easily. Also the n61 absorbs more of the impact of striking the ball vs your arm. The APD is also powerful, but it doesn't have the mass behind it so your arm absorbs some level of the ball strike impact. While I can get good pace on my serves with the n61, I get even more pace with the APD.

Spin. I think the edge goes to the APD in terms of ease of generating spin. The light weight makes it easy to generate racket head speed vs the n61. However, I think the spin generated by the n61 is heavier.

SC in MA
05-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I switched to the Aeropro Drive from the Ncode 6.1 95. I started getting shoulder problems with my n61. It could be a result of the Babolat Ballistic I have in the Mains. I decided to try the Aeropro Drive strung w Max Comfort 16g. At first I thought it felt a little to light, so I added lead tape at 10 & 2. Now it feels great. Has plenty pop and mad spin. I never served better than I do now. Aeropro Drives wins in my book. I'm going to cut out the string I have in my n61 and try something else.Definitely try a non-poly in the n61. I've mainly used Prince Syn Gut at 60lbs in my n61 and have never had a shoulder, arm or elbow problem with it. I'm currently using a natural gut main/syn.gut cross hybrid at 60lbs.

As for the AeroPro Drive, I'll be adding weight to it as well. For strings, I'll probably try a natural gut/syn gut hybrid at a lower string tension with it to see if I can eliminate the elbow twinges I've had with it in the past. It's a great overall racket and a superior serving racket. Maybe the best serving racket I've ever used.

TennisMD
05-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Tried to post a response last night, I see it did not take.
So first thanks SC for the response. Control has not been a problem, just concerned about the slight forearm tenderness after play, which I am not sure is rkt related as i did a heavy weight work out before noticing this. So just curious. I have weighted up one of my APD and will see how this goes.
Animal in regard to power, interesting experiment: I played a fun but very competetive match, really playing well as was my oponent, hitting the lines moving the ball around the box on serves with pace. First set with the APD 9-7, second set 7-5 with the NCode, my hitting buddy stated he thought the N Code hit a heavier ball. Although I though I hit more cross court forehand cean winners with the Aero.

thinktowin
05-03-2005, 09:41 PM
TennisMD,

I took my new AeroPro Drives and duplicated the weight and balance of the 6.1 with lead tape at 10 /2 and under the grip. They're strung at 57 with ALU.

I'm 53, 4.5 and play every day. To me this is one of the most comfortable racquets I've ever played with.

There's a little more power with the Babolat set up this way but that's perfect for my serve and volley game.

Experiment some more before you give up on the Babolat frame.

SC in MA
05-04-2005, 08:09 AM
TennisMD,

I took my new AeroPro Drives and duplicated the weight and balance of the 6.1 with lead tape at 10 /2 and under the grip. They're strung at 57 with ALU. <snip>thinktowin: Can you provide detail on exactly how you weighted up your AeroPro Drive ? For example, you said you added lead tape at 10/2. What length, width & weight of tape did you use ? What brand ? Same questions for the tape under the grip. Additionally, did you run the tape from the butt of the racket up? And what bevels did you put it on ?

Thanks!

TennisMD
05-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Thinktowin:

Thanks for the thinking, re your modifications on the APD. I assume to keep it as head light as the n code ( 10pts) most of your weight went to the butt of the handle. I too would be interested in the exact set up.

thinktowin
05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
I used two strips of lead tape (3" x 5/8") on each side of the frame. I punched holes in the tape to match the grommets and placed them on the inside of the frames before I strung them. The top edge of the strips is even with the second cross. I used 12" of tape on the head.

I placed an equal amount of tape on the butt cap. I cut the strips down the center ( approx. 5/16 wide) to have a thinner strip to build up the bevel. I experimented with this step to get the feel I wanted when the grip was put back on.

I played with the frame and then added more weight to the handle to achieve the balance I was looking for. The overall weight with strings and an overgrip is 12.5 oz.

It's a pretty sweet setup for me. It's much more stable on groundies and unbelievably solid on volleys. Serve is huge.

I think I've got the best of both frames, APD and 6.1, with this setup.

SC in MA
05-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Thinktown: Thanks for the mod detail.

I went ahead and added weight to mine as well. I used the Gamma 1/2" Lead Tape where 1" is approx. equal to 1/2 gram.

First, I took 2 four inch long strips and applied them at 3 & 9 running toward the top of the racket. (one four" strip at 3 and one at 9). I actually cut the width of each strip in half to make them 1/4" wide. Then applied one on each side of the strings. So, I added about 2 grams each at the 3 & 9 for a total of 4 grams there.

Next, I took the grip off. I then took 4 four inch strips and put one on each of the narrow bevels of the handle, running from the butt of the handle up. So I added a total of about 8 grams at the handle.

I've hit with it twice since making the mod. I think it feels a bit more solid in the sense that the racket seems to absorb more of the ball impact, instead of the arm. I also think its a little less manueverable, but still very manueverable. Basically, I don't think the added weight changed the basic playing characteristics of the racket. For me, it still plays with a great combo of power, control and manueverability.

Unfortunately, my elbow was a little sore after each of the two hitting sessions. This is something I don't experience with the n61. I'm wondering if its my mechanics or if its due to the increased racket head speed I can get with it, or even something else. I really like the way it plays, so I'm going to try to stick with it for at least a week and see how it affects the elbow. I guess I'm hoping that maybe my arm just has to get used to it.