PDA

View Full Version : I strung my racquet at 45lbs!

Tour90
02-23-2004, 08:52 AM
I read somewhere where a guy strung his racquet at 45 lbs. just to see if the control was the same and said it was. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't. I found it very hard to control, (I'm using a Wilson Prostaff 6.0). I expected there to be more control, and I didn't notice much difference in power. I'm never going to string my racquet at 45lbs again!!!!

Shaolin
02-23-2004, 09:47 AM
depends how much spin is on the ball. I hit with an extreme western and use low tensions but still dont go below 50 ever. at 45 you need some seriously ridgid string, like a poly of some sort. If you take a big swing you will need much TS on the ball at that tension.

joe sch
02-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Lowering tension decreases control and increases power. If you are use to using alot of topspin and big looping strokes then low tension will make it tough to keep your strokes in the court. You can still get lots of spin but no will need to flatten out your strokes. It does take some time to get use to big decreases in tension and the best idea is to always make changes gradually, maybe decreasing your current tension by nomore than 5lbs per change.

Deuce
02-24-2004, 02:22 AM
It depends on the racquet, and on the player.

I was stringing the Pro Tour 280 at 44 pounds with Leoina 66 - a thick, very elasticky string. I loved it - couldn't play at a higher tension with it. I got great control at 44 pounds.

I also strung my Magnesium 90s as low as 42 pounds without any problem. I loved it.

joe sch
02-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Deuce is very correct in that when string low tension, it is best to use a thicker guage elastic type string, ideally natural gut at a 16 or thicker guage tension. This is also what I have found to offer great playing capabilities.

Stinkdyr
02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
DEUCE be on a diff planet wit dem low low tensions. You need 60 lbs minimum for control. (assuming your head size = 97+.