PDA

View Full Version : Pros Using Multiple *Different* Racquets

Tennissee
02-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere (and please do point me there, thanks), but does any pro use more than one model of racquets and switch during a match? For instance, switching from Radical to Prestige during a match!

We see players getting a new racquet because string breakage, racquet breakage, tension adjustment, etc. But the new stick would be of the same make, model, weight, grip size, and tension (usually), right? Conventional wisdom would probably consider switching to a whole different model during a match total insanity. But has this been done?

Thanks.

Hidious
02-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I could see a pro switching frames for clay or grass season but during a match?

mjwtpro1
02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
During his career and towards the end Agassi switched frames at different times, for different surfaces.

Kick Serve 14
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
A pro switching rackets in the middle of a match, defeats the purpose of them having 8 or 9 professionally matched rackets at every single match...

Tennissee
02-22-2010, 06:26 PM
A pro switching rackets in the middle of a match, defeats the purpose of them having 8 or 9 professionally matched rackets at every single match...

I agree with you. But I wonder if such had happened anyway. One scenario I can think of is when a player switched to a new racquet but decided to bring an old one, PJed or not, as a "security blanket." If things don't quite go the way s/he likes, bring out the old racquet to close the deal.

There could be other scenarios.

OliverSimon
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I agree with you. But I wonder if such had happened anyway. One scenario I can think of is when a player switched to a new racquet but decided to bring an old one, PJed or not, as a "security blanket." If things don't quite go the way s/he likes, bring out the old racquet to close the deal.

A couple years ago, I remember seeing Bethanie Mattek, having multiple different Wilson racquets in her bag, and using them.

downs_chris
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
i don't remember who it was -- but I think it was a guy playing taylor dent in the US Open last summer...the commentators mentioned that he used one racquet when serving, and a different racquet when returning...

Seth
02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
i don't remember who it was -- but I think it was a guy playing taylor dent in the US Open last summer...the commentators mentioned that he used one racquet when serving, and a different racquet when returning...

I remember this as well. I think he was sponsored by Dunlop (maybe HEAD). I seem to remember Dunlop...serving with a 300 series and returning with a 500 series (or vice-versa).

steve728
02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

That was Ivan Navarro. I was at that match --- the most insane, entertaining, energy-pumping, memorable matches I've ever seen live. Two of the last few pure serve-and-volley players going against each other. It was a day match that went late into the night. An awesome, quintessential US Open experience.

Anyways, yeah, Navarro had one racquet for service games. And another to return. They were the same racquet though (which happened to be a TGK237.1, I believe). Just different string/tension set ups, I assume. His switching was especially funny during the tie break.

BTW, Taylor Dent's serve was on fire that night -- in the 140+ mph.

Thanks for letting take that trip down memory lane....

viktorkwan
02-22-2010, 09:15 PM
I have personally seen multiple "Hyper Prostaff 6.0s" and the "Original Prostaff 6.0s" in Roger Federer's bag in Sydney back in 2002.

Leaving aside all the discussion on what rackets he actually used througout his career, I have no doubt the rackets in his bag that day that were PJed to be "Hyper Prostaff 6.0s" and "Original Prostaff 6.0s" are actually the same.

TennisNinja
02-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Davydenko had that one tournament where he switched to a racket witha different string pattern.

Rabbit
02-23-2010, 05:37 AM
There are still pros that I've seen use two racquets, one for serving and one for returning. I've never seen one use two different models as described above though!

Tursunov, in one episode of TTC's Bag Check, shows some frames on the other side of his bag which are "more head heavy".

Pancho Gonzalez, in one of hist last Wimbledons, took this to an extreme. He took his wood frames and drilled holes in them. Some were not drilled, some had a few holes, and others more. The idea was that he was older, couldn't play with a stock frame weight for an entire match and might need something lighter. I think I remember from reading that the racquets that were drilled were pretty much done for after one or maybe two matches.

NicoMK
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

Back in 1997, I once saw French Davis Cup captain Guy Forget playing in one of his last pro tournaments. Actually, I can't remember which tournament it was (it was indoors, that's for sure), but I can clearly remember that he used two different racquets during the match -that he lost- :)

He played the greatest part of the match with a Babolat. He was testing the Babolat racquets by then, and I can clearly remember too that the frame was red and black. I guess it was a 1st gen Pure Control, or something like that.

Then, towards the end of the match, he went back to his 'old' Lacoste Black Equijet, complaining about I don't know what about the Babolat, as I couldn't hear what he was saying...

I can clearly remember this episode as it is the first and only time that I have seen a pro switching racquets during a match... ;)

NicoMK
02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
For those you would care, I made a quick search and found out that the only indoor tournament played by Forget in 1997 is Antwerp. He played against Dewulf, remember him? I'm pretty sure it's the match I was telling about in my previous post ! :)

Cheers !

LeeD
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
In my stringing days, most of the pros used several matched rackets, but also had me string up lighter weight and heavier rackets of the same model.
That would account for the "different" ness......
Some dropped off sets of rackets to be strung with different gauge and tensions, to account for "differences".
But all used mostly the same size grips, and the same cosmetics.

Kick Serve 14
02-23-2010, 02:31 PM

In Dmitry Tursonov's bag check on the tennis channel, he talks about how he carries 6 rackets, two of which are more HH than the others...

Zefer
02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
That was Ivan Navarro. I was at that match --- the most insane, entertaining, energy-pumping, memorable matches I've ever seen live. Two of the last few pure serve-and-volley players going against each other. It was a day match that went late into the night. An awesome, quintessential US Open experience.

Anyways, yeah, Navarro had one racquet for service games. And another to return. They were the same racquet though (which happened to be a TGK237.1, I believe). Just different string/tension set ups, I assume. His switching was especially funny during the tie break.

BTW, Taylor Dent's serve was on fire that night -- in the 140+ mph.

Thanks for letting take that trip down memory lane....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eSEPa9aAkM
Is that the match?

Kick Serve 14
02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eSEPa9aAkM
Is that the match?

Yep. This would be it...

Rabbit
02-24-2010, 03:18 AM
OH...and the best example....I forgot.

Jimmy Connors used to play the early non-televised rounds with his T2000 and then when the cameras came on, he used the ProStaff.

Rorsach
02-24-2010, 03:58 AM
And Borg, who used Bancroft in the US and Donnay everywhere else.

He didn't switch brands during a match though.

steve728
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Yep. This would be it...

That's right. That's it.

Edit: Also, some pics online show Navarro using a Mid Plus PJ, so it's likely he's using a TGK238.1 (and not a Mid like I thought).

jimbo333
03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
OH...and the best example....I forgot.

Jimmy Connors used to play the early non-televised rounds with his T2000 and then when the cameras came on, he used the ProStaff.

Yep, and lost as soon as he started using the ProStaff:(

jimbo333
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
And Borg, who used Bancroft in the US and Donnay everywhere else.

He didn't switch brands during a match though.

Yep, and he never won the US Open with his Bancrofts!

Another example of a player who should have used a paintjob, and stuck to his superior Donnays:shock: